Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• What was promising was that USA showed they were not that good. Still the team to beat but definitely beatable.
    I fancy France’s attack to be better against the US defence than vice versa.
  • USA are nothing special watching this 
    Agreed they weren't, but as you know every side that has ever won a major competition will have the mediocre match that they get through.
    Even the most highly rated WC winners of all time Brazil had to rely on England missing 2 good chances when winning 1-0 on their way to the 1970 world cup with their team of superstars spearheaded by Pele.
    Can't thing of any team winning a major tournament when in top gear in all 7 matches.

Of course, but some were saying it'll take something special to beat them. Im not sure thats true.
  • I have only watched bits of the womans world cup, not really to bothered. However, I notice we are 4th faves at 13/2, seems quite decent odds considering I assumed we were the best team. I know USA are the team to beat, but what are peoples thoughts is it really that wide open?
  • I think so.
  • I thought USA were clear favourites until the Spain game last night - not sure who I fancy to win now.
  • USA are physically streets ahead of a lot of other teams in this tournament. Once you get towards the knockout stages though there's fewer pushover teams and it's a lot more even, so they can't just rely on that anymore. They might really rue not being tested at all in the group stages as there's much better teams than Spain left in the competition
  • What a nice goal by the Dutch.  Back heel direct from a corner nutmegging the defender.
  • 1-0 Holland, after taking advantage of the Japanese defence being the same height as Solly, Da Silva, Jack Munns and Oztumer.
  • Quality equalizer by Japan.  Enjoyable game so far.
  • 1-0 Holland, after taking advantage of the Japanese defence being the same height as Solly, Da Silva, Jack Munns and Oztumer.
    Going forward tho they are very attractive to watch and I think their small size and low centre of gravity really helps that. They don’t look slow paced which is what I’ve struggled with when watching women’s football in the past.
  • Sponsored links:

• Clever interplay by Japan to equalise.
  • Enjoyable game - hard to pick a winner.
  • Just saw the goals from Italy win over China. I have been impressed by Italy and didn't realize they had a decent side before this tournament.

Going forward tho they are very attractive to watch and I think their small size and low centre of gravity really helps that. They don’t look slow paced which is what I’ve struggled with when watching women’s football in the past.
    Japanese football has styled itself after Brazilian football for many years.  Basing their game on speed and technique suits the average Japanese player's physique, and it makes for entertaining football.  I used to watch quite a bit of J-League when it was on UK TV.
  • Just saw the goals from Italy win over China. I have been impressed by Italy and didn't realize they had a decent side before this tournament.

China were pretty poor - no attacking threat. Italy were comfortable winners.

China were pretty poor - no attacking threat. Italy were comfortable winners.

China and Cameroon's were the weakest of the last 16.
    So no surprise Italy cruised into the quarter finals.
  • The Dutch play some awful passes but I think because the players without the ball are too static. 
  • edited June 2019
    Japan deserve to win this game. They are playing some delightful football but just aren't clinical. 
  • No penalty for me
  • Japan have been far better. Ridiculous booking for Japanese player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't blame the ref, as these are always given now. Harsh on Japan, Holland have been mediocre.
  • Japan deserve to win this game. They are playing some delightful football but just aren't clinical. 
    Agreed. Japan have been impressive and unlucky tonight.
  • Holland didnt deserve it.
  • Harsh on Japan.  Best game by a mile.

• Japan have been the most enjoyable team to watch for me. Played well against England as well but let down by their finishing.
  • No penalty for me
    Every hand ball bar one has been given in this WC. If Japan could find a striker they would be contenders. Makes you realize how good England's 2-0 victory over Japan was in the group game 
  • That's annoying. Was hoping for another 30 minutes of that game.  Shame for Japan who ran rings around Netherlands in the second half.  
  • if that is the new interpretation of handball it is ridiculous. No intent, arms by her side and couldn't move out the way. Shouldn't the laws try and promote fairness and intent. 
  • edited June 2019
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/24/fifa-investigating-cameroon-womens-world-cup-england

“It is also believed Fifa has officially adjudged the performance of the referee, China’s Qin Liang, as good and found “every decision and the use of VAR was correct, using the protocols” and were applied to the letter. Officials also think Qin did all she could to ensure a prompt restart after the VAR delays.”

This was my view at the time despite the hysterical reaction of pundits, TV commentators and some on here, trying to blame the referee.

• Still on track for England v USA and Germany v Holland semi finals.
    Still on track.