Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Worst game I've watched in this tournament. Have been pleasantly surprised up 'til this.
  • limeygent said:
    Worst game I've watched in this tournament. Have been pleasantly surprised up 'til this.
    I agree it was a poor spectacle and VAR was a major contributing factor to that in my opinion.
  • LenGlover said:
    limeygent said:

rina said:
    LenGlover said:
    Even though it has largely favoured England VAR has ruined this match.
    Favoured England? Correct decisions favour no one. There have however been, imo, 3 incorrect decisions- for the elbow, the spitting and the non penalty just now which looked pretty clear cut, all of which favoured Cameroon
    It's the time taken to make the decisions by VAR. Players and fans are frustrated before the decision is made.

Two of those decisions were technically correct, yes, but so close that there should be the footballing equivalent of umpires call. The Cameroon offside was marginal and the penalty was one of those where sometimes they're given sometimes they're not. The authorities need to refine exactly how they want to use the technology in my opinion. The referee wasn't great but VAR did nothing to assist her in exerting authority.

Yes, Cameroon reacted badly but the whole thing is incredibly frustrating. 

The shame is that the showpiece of the Women's game is being used as an experiment and to develop a new technology.
    Don't see how an offside can be "marginal", they're offside or they're not.

The linesman didn't give it before it went to VAR because it was incredibly close, another word being marginal.
    It was close yes but VAR should she was offside so there can be no complaints, its what VAR is there for
  • LenGlover said:
    limeygent said:
    Worst game I've watched in this tournament. Have been pleasantly surprised up 'til this.
    I agree it was a poor spectacle and VAR was a major contributing factor to that in my opinion.
    VAR had nothing to do with it. 
  • Why do u keep blaming VAR @LenGlover

VAR came to the correct decision on 2 goals.

The major contributing factor to it being a poor spectacle was the behaviour of the Cameroon Players and a ref who didnt want to show cards

The major contributing factor to it being a poor spectacle was the behaviour of the Cameroon Players and a ref who didnt want to show cards
    The ref was completely lacking in authority - problems escalated as a result.

Len wanted Cameroon to win.
  • I did say the top teams play their best football from the Quarter final stage but we play in patches, where we go from the sublime to the ridiculous.
    Only good thing from that parody of a football match is Norway might be taken by surprise if we find our A game.
    If Beth Mead doesn't start for Duggan and McManus for Bright then we are falling in to the trap of allowing players to find their best form in a tournament. Kirby is under par but I think I would stick with her for the Norway Q-Final.
  • edited June 2019
    One thing we can say is that the England team kept their professionalism and maintained the proper sporting approach right to the end. They shook hands and kept their composure. It wasn’t the best performance but they had their moments under what became difficult distracting circumstances.
    As for Cameroon, well, I say learn to play the game in the right spirit before you come back again. The best team won in every sense.
  • Very impressed to see the England players refuse to get involved with the Cameroon unprofessionalism. I was expecting Jill Scott to break one of their legs before the end but they stayed out of it. Not a brilliant performance and we can't leave gaps at the back like that against Norway. Bright once again looked off the pace and her distribution was off so I would bring McManus in for the next game. Duggan had a match better game this time and pushes up to be a second striking option in the box when the ball comes in from the right which is a good thing to have on the pitch. White continues to look like she will score every chance she gets so as long as we're calm against Norway we should get through them
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    VAR set up by imperialists and racists well in Lueth World anyway
  • Still on track for England v USA and Germany v Holland semi finals.
  • What? It seems to me like VAR isn't the problem so much as the refereeing, and that Cameroon were a disgrace. Happy to toe the party line here 
  • At times it was like watching the Smith and Jones women's football sketch. 

Standard was shit if I'm honest, laughable at times. 

I'm sure women's football is much better than that, watching the Brazil France game at moment proves that. 
  • Still on track for England v USA and Germany v Holland semi finals.
    I would take that.
    Norway v England 50/50 because they have Caroline Graham Hansen.
    USA will have to deal with the French fast winger assuming France beat Brazil.

USA v the Euro Champions Holland could be the final
  • Why was that disallowed?
  • edited June 2019
    limeygent said:

rina said:
    LenGlover said:
    Favoured England? Correct decisions favour no one. There have however been, imo, 3 incorrect decisions- for the elbow, the spitting and the non penalty just now which looked pretty clear cut, all of which favoured Cameroon
    It's the time taken to make the decisions by VAR. Players and fans are frustrated before the decision is made.

Two of those decisions were technically correct, yes, but so close that there should be the footballing equivalent of umpires call. The Cameroon offside was marginal and the penalty was one of those where sometimes they're given sometimes they're not. The authorities need to refine exactly how they want to use the technology in my opinion. The referee wasn't great but VAR did nothing to assist her in exerting authority.

The shame is that the showpiece of the Women's game is being used as an experiment and to develop a new technology.
    Exactly this.

I said it the other day for a game, its either offside or its not, if a player shots and the whole ball doesnt cross the line you dont then say oh lets give the goal it was very marginal, its the  same with offside a player is either offside or onside
    Its the one thing I personally dont like about the offside rule compared to the goal rule and would be one of two things I'd change in the game if I could (the other being time wasting)

Whole ball has to be over to be a goal, part of the player has to be over to be offside - Would change it to the full player having to be beyond the last man for it to be offside - Yes you could say that the part of the man offside can be used to score the goal which is why they're declared offside but thats akin to saying that the ball (the actual item used to score the goal) doesnt have to be fully over the line for it to be a goal
  • limeygent said:

rina said:
    LenGlover said:

Exactly this.

I said it the other day for a game, its either offside or its not, if a player shots and the whole ball doesnt cross the line you dont then say oh lets give the goal it was very marginal, its the  same with offside a player is either offside or onside
    Its the one thing I personally dont like about the offside rule compared to the goal rule and would be one of two things I'd change in the game if I could (the other being time wasting)

Whole ball has to be over to be a goal, part of the player has to be over to be offside - Would change it to the full player having to be beyond the last man for it to be offside - Yes you could say that the part of the man offside can be used to score the goal which is why they're declared offside but thats akin to saying that the ball (the actual item used to score the goal) doesnt have to be fully over the line for it to be a goal
    This was a rule for a bit, 'daylight' rule.

It was in a period where they changed it every season. 

I always thought it was the best solution and easiest to ref. 
    Goal for me, more to the point, what's with lipstick and fake eyelashes whilst playing? 
    Goal for me, more to the point, what's with lipstick and fake eyelashes whilst playing? 
    Why not?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    Why was that disallowed?
    Why not?
    As @kellycafc said to me the other day, you dont her people moaning when men have hair gel during the game, so why cant women wear makeup
    Why not?
    As @kellycafc said to me the other day, you dont her people moaning when men have hair gel during the game, so why cant women wear makeup
    I always wear full makeup when I play.
  • The French flying winger number 11 is the class act in this game. Henry and Sommer not having much Influence.
  • That's a goal
  • Yep, given. Game on! 
  • That’s a goal surely
  • Lol - sorry

didn’t realise that I had paused it prior 😩
  • Brazil have a player that’s now played in 7 world cups - are they played every four years?
  • se9addick said:
    Brazil have a player that’s now played in 7 world cups - are they played every four years?
    Yes

Formiga is 41 and 1st played in a World Cup at 17
  • se9addick said:
    Brazil have a player that’s now played in 7 world cups - are they played every four years?
    Yes

Formiga is 41 and 1st played in a World Cup at 17
    Correct 
    Formiga have played in every World cup since 1995 when she was indeed 17.
    Amazing longevity.