Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who is the boss at Chelsea

124»

Comments

• Options
    To be fair to Kepa the way he was signalling to the bench thats the way I understood it... i.e. He'd been down injured and was telling them he was fine to continue

BUT... at the same time it seemed that Sarri wanted to swap him for Caballero for the penalty shootout with him being the better at saving them

Cant think of any other reason for Sarri to behave the way he did on the touchline (almost walking off etc.) as surely if your No.1 'keeper is fit to continue then you'd surely be happy about it? 
    To be fair to Kappa, HE decided that Chelsea should settle for a penalty shoot out and therefore feigned injury to slow the game and run the clock down. The manager thought he was injured and was probably confused as to how a goalkeeper could be suffering from cramp in both legs and therefore wanted to replace him.

At this point, Kappa started to jump about and signal that everything was fine and was probably confused as to why his manager did not get what a cunning plan he had executed; after all, players are in the best position to evaluate what is going on in the game - especially goalkeepers.
  • Options
    arsenal fans mocking the situation yet have ozil who plays when he wants. 
  • Options
    regarding the keeper - i dont blame the keeper for wanting to stay on he had only stood there for 120 mins
  • Options
    Two interesting things for me in all that.

1. What happens if both stand their ground? Does Kepa get booked as @se9addick suggests? What does it say in the 'laws' of the game about who picks the team? Presumably the fact that the game is stopped for substitutions and a man is allowed to wave a bunch of LEDs around in the technical area is tacit agreement that team selection is made by someone off the pitch, but I cannot imagine that the rules are framed to be that specifically as to state that there's an external manager.

2. What does it say about the feeling of the players towards the manager? Surely if that happened under normal circumstances the team captain, if not all the other players would side with the manager and try to cajole the player off the pitch. Can't see any of that gong on. Must be bad.   
  • Options
    “Sarri-ball”
    only ever gets used by people that have heard others use it and never saw Napoli play I’m sure. 
    Unless he gets the players he wants the system isn’t going to work. There isn’t really any special tactics, it’s all about the team he uses and the work rate.

he also didn’t have a pre season with Chelsea, Conte was still there!
    I think in terms of instilling a new style we can agree pre season is vital

if Chelsea give him time, I believe he can turn it around.
    the difference is while clubs like Liverpool give Klopp 6 transfer windows to get his team. Chelsea sack a manager after a year. And if they don’t they’re transfer banned anyway. 
    Rightly or wrongly, it works for them though.

Chelsea have won everything under Abramovich, a number of league titles, both cups, a Champions league and also the Europa league too.

Meanwhile Klopp hasn't won anything and possibly won't this season either.

Like Watford, they've foudn success from chopping managers. Both have got a system where the manager is given a squad and told to make the most of it. Hiring someone who needs specific players to do his job doesn't make any sense! 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    “Sarri-ball”
    only ever gets used by people that have heard others use it and never saw Napoli play I’m sure. 
    Unless he gets the players he wants the system isn’t going to work. There isn’t really any special tactics, it’s all about the team he uses and the work rate.

the difference is while clubs like Liverpool give Klopp 6 transfer windows to get his team. Chelsea sack a manager after a year. And if they don’t they’re transfer banned anyway. 

Chelsea have won everything under Abramovich, a number of league titles, both cups, a Champions league and also the Europa league too.

Like Watford, they've foudn success from chopping managers. Both have got a system where the manager is given a squad and told to make the most of it. Hiring someone who needs specific players to do his job doesn't make any sense! 
    Hasn't did us any harm under Roly giving the Manager players he didn't want.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I reckon Kepa ignored the order to come off cos he mistook Sarri for a mad and scruffy street person, he certainly looks like one

on  a serious note, the media generally is hyping this up out of all proportion .. it's Chelsea's problem and if all parties at the club are satisfied with the (albeit rather flimsy) explanations given by the people concerned, let it lie there .. all this faux outrage is hypocritical and very unnecessary.
  • Options
    I reckon Kepa ignored the order to come off cos he mistook Sarri for a mad and scruffy street person, he certainly looks like one

on  a serious note, the media generally is hyping this up out of all proportion .. it's Chelsea's problem and if all parties at the club are satisfied with the (albeit rather flimsy) explanations given by the people concerned, let it lie there .. all this faux outrage is hypocritical and very unnecessary.

What do you expect? The media spend the entire year hyping up nonsense like the ‘race for fourth’, they were always going to have a field day with this.

Personally I do see this as a newsworthy story on the basis that it doesn’t happen too often, and it does spark interesting debate around player/manager dynamics. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

What do you expect? The media spend the entire year hyping up nonsense like the ‘race for fourth’, they were always going to have a field day with this.

Personally I do see this as a newsworthy story on the basis that it doesn’t happen too often, and it does spark interesting debate around player/manager dynamics. 
    This is, indeed, one of the rare overt examples of a player refusing to do what a manager has asked him to do. The most blatant aspect of it all is that Kepa made no attempt whatsoever to talk to Sarri - he deliberately kept his distance because he did not want to have that discussion. Even Zola shouting at him wouldn't shift Kepa.

For all we know Sarri did want Caballero to come on because he does have a reputation for doing so - 11 saved out of 28 in the course of matches - and Caballero was at City with the likes of Aguero, Sterling, De Bruyne, Kompany, Sane and Otamendi of those left on the pitch at the end of extra time so would have had, from facing penalties in practice against these, a better insight than Kepa. 

Afterwards Sarri was left with no choice than to issue his cover up story of a "misunderstanding" because to do otherwise would not open the existing wounds even further - and the last thing that Sarri would want is to be left with his number one keeper wanting to leave especially with the possibility of an imminent transfer embargo.
  • Options
    Caballero just being in goal would have sewn a seed of doubt in the City players minds, could have been crucial.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Both have tonight released new statements

KEPA

‘I was very happy to play in my first Cup Final for Chelsea yesterday and very proud of the team performance. I have thought a lot more about yesterday’s events. Although there was a misunderstanding, on reflection, I made a big mistake with how I handled the situation. I wanted to take the time today to apologise fully and in person to the coach, to Willy, my team-mates and to the club. I have done this and now I want to offer the same apology to the fans. I will learn from this episode and will accept any punishment or discipline the club decides is appropriate.’

SARRI

‘Kepa and I have spoken about the incident. It was a good conversation. There was a misunderstanding yesterday but he realises he made a big mistake in the way he reacted. He has apologised to me, his team-mates and the club. It is up to the club if they want to discipline him according to the club rules, but for me this matter is now closed. The team performance as a whole was extremely positive and it is a shame to see how this incident has overshadowed our efforts in what was a very competitive Cup Final. Everyone’s focus is now on the next game and we must all now put this behind us.’

The Club has made a decision to fine Kepa one week’s wages and donate it to the Chelsea Foundation.

• Options
    "I will learn from this episode".

yeah, right.
  • Options

I'm a little tired of comments like this. It's really up to people to decide what they find interesting. Keep your yardstick to yourself thanks.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    “Sarri-ball”

Most managers will need specific players to fit their game plan though. Guardiola took a season to get in the players he wanted, replacing ageing full backs and getting in centre backs who can bring the ball out of defence and a keeper who is good with his feet.
  • Options
    Very harsh to fine someone a weeks wages for a "misunderstanding". Would love to see how that works in other jobs and rather sets a precedent for each and every occasion that the lines of communication break down at Chelsea. 

For example, does this mean that when the person working in the club canteen mishears a player's orders, he or she loses a week's wages?

"Misunderstanding" my arse! This was about a player refusing to do what he was told and Chelsea should show some balls and call it for what it was because, at the moment, they are looking even sillier than they were before - if that's possible! 
  • Options
    Yeah... I don't think I'd be very happy if I was fined for a "misunderstanding."
  • Options
    They have got a new sign to avoid any further misunderstandings 

• Options

Kepa knows he will be at the club longer than Sarri.

He holds the aces. Player power and all that.

Stinks.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never in doubt City vs Chelski in the penalty shootout
    Chelsea: Jorginho,Emerson, Spanish Dave, Luiz, Hazard
    City, Gundogan, Bernado Silva,  Arguero, Sane, Sterling

Look at the difference, Chelski were struggling for penalty takers. Kepa should have saved Arguero but done a good save vs Sane. 

On the Kepa situation, kind of laughable but he should have been taken off. I doubt it was a miscommunication issue at all and was obvious Sarri was a goner. Was looking at Zola being temp manager but depends how he got one with Sarri. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I'm a little tired of comments like this. It's really up to people to decide what they find interesting. Keep your yardstick to yourself thanks.
    ahhh poor you .. chin up old thing
  • Options
    Maybe Sarri might have the respect of the players, if he didnt slag them off at every opportunity? Was it after the spurs defeat that he absolutely laid into them? And whats with berating Hazard, he's their best player by miles! Kepa was out of order on Sunday, but it was great entertainment for the rest of us :smile:
  • Options
    Kepa dropped to the bench tonight. Caballero starts.
  • Options
    Kepa dropped to the bench tonight. Caballero starts.
    Caballero had to start

Kepa is still on the pitch at Wembley refusing to get of
  • Options
    Heartwarming moment when Sarri got his medal earlier.