Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harry's Heroes

Comments

• Options
    cafc375 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Fair play to Merson.

My Spurs instinct was to always hate him growing up along with everyone else from that poxy club but another of the ex-Gooners, like Ian Wright, who seems to be a really warm, likeable fella.  I hope for his sake he doesnt fall off the wagon again.

Am surprised to see the direction Ruddock has gone in.  He seemed to show another side to him in Masterchef last year but this larger than life character he portrays on tv is way over the top.  Hopefully the pacemaker gives him a proper reality check that he needs to look after himself, especially with two young kids.
    Went to school with Ruddock, he was a year below me. He was (obviously) a class act as a footballer, a whipper snapper of a centre forward at time with no small amount of skill!

Played with him in a local 5-a-side team (The Daleks!!) for a very short while, and against him in the school's 'inter-form' annual 'Cake' cup competition (beat his form in the final one year, winning a dirty great cream cake!). 

He was always a bit of a 'jack the lad' at school, but a very popular and really good bloke, nonetheless. 
    Agree about Ruddock. He has got a mixed reputation, but I can only comment on what I know. We used to live in the same area of Ashford as him, and on one Halloween my kids knocked on his door. He was dressed up for it, invited them and myself in, and told them to help themselves to as many sweets as they wanted. He was also happy to have his photo taken. Really nice bloke.
    Did you grow up in Ashford, mate?
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I like this programme, it's a vehicle for these blokes who played the greatest game on the world to support each other. Loads of them all booze together and play golf with each other and its underrated how having that support network without realising it is there is valuable. 

Paul Merson was one of the best players I've seen in the flesh, the technique he had was very un-british. I'm glad he has turned his problems around 

Ruddock is an idiot, he reminds me of a good mate of mine and he is also a right horrible bastard to have on a stag do with you. My mate is having a bit of a Ruddock at the moment, overweight, ginger, drinks a phenomenal amount, coupled with the tennis he does as well and an atrocious diet of fried food and full fat dairy. And everyone let's him play right up to it, he is an excellent footballer annoyingly and his body can't handle that anymore which he has been struggling with for years and spends months at a time on crutches. I've tried to help him before and had a similar altercation with him as Merson did with Ruddock, always someone elses fault or can be done tomorrow 
    Is his name James?
  • Options
    What was particularly frustrating to me was the quality of the German finishing! It was laughable, but why was it so good when the games mattered 20 plus years ago? 
  • Options
    One thing this reminded me, very few things in life beat the sheer brilliance of a lads trip. 

Whether thats a football tour, stag do, golf trip - the banter, non-stop laughing and just the general ability to forget all the grown up aspects of life.

very few groups of women understand and appreciate it like blokes do.  

Depending on your previous experiences, you’ll either get where I’m coming from or you won’t 
    Genuinely interested why you think it’s any different to a girls trip away?

As what you describe sounds exactly like my 4 Nations yearly event (usually involves a sporting event & all us ladies are from one of the 4 Nations, hence the name).
    Guess men don't understand or appreciate the way ladies do :) 
  • Options
    One thing this reminded me, very few things in life beat the sheer brilliance of a lads trip. 

Whether thats a football tour, stag do, golf trip - the banter, non-stop laughing and just the general ability to forget all the grown up aspects of life.

Depending on your previous experiences, you’ll either get where I’m coming from or you won’t 

Because lads do nothing but take the piss out of each other in a way the ladies can just never do.

We're allowed to be just boys again without the pressure of women trying to tell us to grow up.

As @AFKABartram said, you just cannot beat a lads trip.
  • Options
    Just caught with all 3 episodes, enjoyed that

Slightly surprised between the split between the main players and the backups, weird having someone like Kevin Phillips (who's often on TV these days) there just to make up the numbers
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Because lads do nothing but take the piss out of each other in a way the ladies can just never do.

We're allowed to be just boys again without the pressure of women trying to tell us to grow up.

As @AFKABartram said, you just cannot beat a lads trip.
    Wow! That’s a massive sweeping statement 😳
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Slightly surprised between the split between the main players and the backups, weird having someone like Kevin Phillips (who's often on TV these days) there just to make up the numbers

I think they went out there with a core of 10 players - presumably they couldn't get a commitment from more for the number of weeks that they were away but also because they wanted to concentrate on those who did actually play for England on or around the period in question. Kevin Phillips only had 8 caps, all friendlies and never scored a goal for England so there wouldn't have been much about him to focus on.
  • Options

I think they went out there with a core of 10 players - presumably they couldn't get a commitment from more for the number of weeks that they were away but also because they wanted to concentrate on those who did actually play for England on or around the period in question. Kevin Phillips only had 8 caps, all friendlies and never scored a goal for England so there wouldn't have been much about him to focus on.
    Chamberlain got 8 caps, the last of which was in 1984 so he was a long time before most of the other players
  • Options
    The copious amounts of cocaine and levels of prostitution maybe a difference but who am I to judge 
  • Options
    Someone's getting headlocked when we don't have to social distance any more... B)
  • Options

Chamberlain got 8 caps, the last of which was in 1984 so he was a long time before most of the other players
    Agreed - he is somewhat unique though given that he has a link, through his son, to the current England team.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Curb_It said:

“very few groups of women understand and appreciate it like blokes do.”

Bollocks.

“Because lads do nothing but take the piss out of each other in a way the ladies can just never do.”

And some More bollocks.

To add to that further and going slightly off topic the one thing I would say after reading threads on here and on Twitter about the state of our club, Women certainly wouldn’t act like a bunch of bitching, teenage girls, arguing so publicly, the likes of which I have never witnessed. Grown men swinging their dicks in a great big dick swinging contest. Utter nonsense coming out of grown men. Embarrassing.

i bet if it had been left to women they would have sorted out the ownership far quicker than has been done so far.

And stick that great big sweeping generalisation up all your arses! 

Good night! 
    👍 

Lol, maybe they would sort it out ..... but only once Eastenders had finished.

And as for that bit above, I completely agree - I've never known women to bitch and argue like teenage girls. Ever. Honestly. No, seriously ....
  • Options

Or jolly boys fishing week - totally get it
  • Options
    And as for that bit above, I completely agree - I've never known women to bitch and argue like teenage girls. Ever. Honestly. No, seriously ....

@Off_it I do agree with your sarky comment but we certainly cant say men aren't just as bad! Whinging willies. 

I'm still raging over AFKA's comment, I've woken still in a bad mood this morning... I'm coming for you my little friend.  Be afraid.

XX 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It all went a bit "Merse and Razor" on this thread last night  :D
  • Options
    It all went a bit "Merse and Razor" on this thread last night  :D
    Ffs don’t say who is who or you’ll be in a headlock 😳😳😳😳😳🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    Quote from Curb-it above

''I bet if it had been left to women they would have sorted out the ownership far quicker
    than has been done so far''.

Wasn't exactly great when we had Katrien Meire as a CEO though was it!
  • Options
    I'd forgotten how regularly Rob Lee played for England, 21 caps

In terms of Charlton produced England players, he must be right up there considering that Parker for example only made 18 appearances
  • Options

Apologies if i've offended you @Curb_It (and you @KBlittlesis), certainly wasn't my intention.

Of course, i was talking generically. You'll note i said 'very few' and not all. The reason i said most is i had in my head that you and your pals are a definite outliner to the generalism that i was saying!

In my head the social behaviours in crowd form of the average bloke are different to that of the average woman. And i'm not saying one is better than the other, just that masculine and feminine cultures are different.

Massive caveat that i'm generalising here. Of course as a man i have much less experience of how women behave when away for a few days. So if you say its bollocks, then fair enough, its bollocks.

From my experience a group of blokes can go away for for 3 or 4 days and can completely remove themselves from normal life.  Zero discussions on work, kids, partners, schools, the house, emotions, wellbeng etc. Just utter nonsense and piss taking for the whole time. To be honest, blokes in general can be mates for 20 years and not even know what job their mate does, or remember the names of the others kids.  

From my experience, outside of a crazy night out, i don't think women when in group sustain the same path as that, probably because in feminine culture there's a higher weighting in self-disclosure and communication than there is is in masculine culture. And certainly from my younger days of lads holidays, i don't think i ever come across a group of girls that hadn't had some form of internal fall out during the trip, which i've found is generally rarer with blokes.

Anyhow, just my view, which no doubt is bollocks, and i've probably just dug a bigger hole for myself, but hopefully @KBlittlesis explains my thinking  

All i wanted to say was how much i miss doing those football tours! 

• Options
    No one is saying that women in a group don't know how to party.

Though I'm glad I've never been on a stg do with @Carter
  • Options
    blokes can say pretty much what they want to another mate when on one of these weekends away, whereas with the girls one off comment and the protagonists wont talk for a month.
  • Options
    I've got some other tales of that stag do but they can keep