Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Team Summer 2019 -ICC World Cup and Ashes etc

Comments

• Smith is obviously quality but he doesn't half get some luck, look at that catch 
  • Leuth said:
    If that was any other player you'd all be having a right go. Second innings runs or that's him done for good I'd say 

Awful shot - even when he has scored runs he has looked a walking wicket.
  • Still - it is the highest opening partnership of The Ashes so far.
  • Smith is obviously quality but he doesn't half get some luck, look at that catch 
    He's made a deal with the Devil i'm sure of it
  • Strange decision by Australia to bowl first at the oval.  Hopefully comes back to bite them on the arse 
  • I'm probably tempting fate but Burns has grown more and more into the role. It's not what Denly does in his day job and Roy has never even had a part time position doing it which is why he is here to stay and the others aren't. 
  • Siddle looking a questionable choice. Not bowling well, and dropped Root
  • 86-1 is a pretty good score at lunch
  • England's session.  Emphatically. 
  • Leuth said:
    If that was any other player you'd all be having a right go. Second innings runs or that's him done for good I'd say 
    There are plenty only too eager to have a go at Denly without me joining in. A lot of them work in the media and come from Yorkshire.
  • Sponsored links:

• On a different note , does anyone know if New Zealand v England goes towards the ICC World Test Championship 
    someone told me it doesn’t yesterday , any reason why not if that’s true ? 

I think it's because there are only 2 test matches and the first 3 in a series count towards the championship
  • LenGlover said:
    Leuth said:
    There are plenty only too eager to have a go at Denly without me joining in. A lot of them work in the media and come from Yorkshire.
    I think Denly's done a decent job in difficult circumstances especially as he'snow been given the opening position which he isn't cut out to do. He has yet to even be out for single figures and deserves another series but does not strike me as having any longevity at this level.

Would love to be wrong.
    Root has been dropped three times in this innings. How many times has Smith been dropped in the Series? 
  • Root dropped for the 3rd time, I bet Denly wishes he had the luck this morning! 
  • Ive been travelling for a couple of days so just catching up with the comments.
    A comments to say... 
    A) great convo between Canters and AA re England/Stewart etc.
    B) i even though im not a Denly fan i think he has shown enough to get another chance in another tour.
    C) quite pleased the selectors have left Olli Pope for the last test - think he will be better for not having to face the Aus quicks at this time of his career and looking forward to seeing him in SA this winter
  • On a different note , does anyone know if New Zealand v England goes towards the ICC World Test Championship 

I think it's because there are only 2 test matches and the first 3 in a series count towards the championship
    2 match series can count it’s just that England are playing too many test matches so that series isn’t included. 

In 2 match tests it’s 60 points for a win 30 for a draw 

the ashes becuase it’s 5 matches is 24 points for a win and 12 for a draw 
  • That was, unfortunately, a bit of a nothing shot from Burns
  • Terrible shot from burns, just after holding pointed out he’s doing a lot better against the short ball. Still think he needs to do a lot of work on that...
  • That was, unfortunately, a bit of a nothing shot from Burns
    A shame. Root so far is keeping all England's luck for himself in terms of getting away with errors...
  • Here comes the collapse...
  • Sponsored links:

• The whole set up needs a restructure IMO.

Have an overall “director of cricket” and then separate players, coaches and even selectors for red ball and white ball cricket.

It’s clear that we are not Australia and our players cannot be the best at one without dragging down the quality of the other.

The simplest and most drastic way to fix that is to treat these two teams as separate entities as much as possible.

Red ball form does not get you picked for the white ball team (Cook, Ballance...) and white ball form does not get you picked for the red ball team (Roy, Buttler, Bairstow...).

That should be the end of it.
    Agreed. And only the world class players (Root Stokes Archer) and all rounders (Moeen, Woakes) should play both and when they do their workload should be very carefully managed.
    Archer world class ? .. not yet
    In white ball i would say so
  • Burns got the worst dose of commentators curse I have ever heard. Simon Mann and Tuffers on TMS. Tuffers "I don't want to jinx him but hes looked very solid, impressive" Mann: "I don't believe in the commentators curse we aren't that powerful. And Burns has got a thick edge on this one and he will go here...."

• And all that in a series where it is impossibly difficult to open the batting and no one else has managed to average more than 15 at the top of the order.
  • Awful from Stokes. Absolutely no need.
  • Do any of you bet on the cricket much, always looks quite appealing to me the next person out market. Most cases you can predict it, never really bothered myself.

Eg. currently Root next out 5/4, Bairstow 4/7

Although unpredictable from a distance, without trying myself if you can get 2/3 you will probably profit. Some aren't as close but generally they are

• Do any of you bet on the cricket much, always looks quite appealing to me the next person out market. Most cases you can predict it, never really bothered myself.

Although unpredictable from a distance, without trying myself if you can get 2/3 you will probably profit. Some aren't as close but generally they are

So... 

...who's going to be out next? 

:wink:
  • I am just pleased that wides, no balls  extra is lower than our batsmen at the moment. 

2 match series can count it’s just that England are playing too many test matches so that series isn’t included. 

In 2 match tests it’s 60 points for a win 30 for a draw 

the ashes becuase it’s 5 matches is 24 points for a win and 12 for a draw 

Yes you are right, I think I understand it now
  • England's session again.  Less emphatically. 
  • Chizz said:

Do any of you bet on the cricket much, always looks quite appealing to me the next person out market. Most cases you can predict it, never really bothered myself.

So... 

...who's going to be out next? 

:wink:

I would say Root generally, but I am no expert. This is why I asked if anyone on here looks at this market as you lot are a lot more knowledgeable