Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have you ever turned up at The Valley to find the game is not on?

This can be for any one of several reasons.
The ref has called the game off, the fixture has been rearranged and you didn’t know, you mistakenly thought it was a Tuesday fixture not a Saturday one (or visa versa), or you just simply got it wrong thinking it was a home game......maybe there are others?
Ashamed to admit I’ve done all four of those over the years!

Comments

• Options
    A few years ago, we were coming back from a trip to Essex so Ms AA dropped AA junior and me off by The Antigallican and just as she drove off someone said the game was off.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Turned up to a New Year's Day match thinking it was a 12.30 KO only to discover the streets around The Valley empty and realising it was a 3.00pm KO. Also another game around Christmas against West Ham (I think) that was called off late by the ref due to snow - we were in the Covered End and the pitch looked ok to me!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Happened to me once, almost three times

First was when we played West Ham in the Premier League when that got called off... My Dad was driving me up the A2 to the game when we heard on the radio that the game wasnt going ahead so managed to divert off in time.

I cant remember another yet hadnt long parked up down my usual road and was walking down to the Valley when someone stopped me from their car and advised that the match had just been abandoned

The one time it did happen was the Southampton clash on Boxing Day; got dropped off at the Station to save me driving over, walked down to the Valley and couldnt understand why everyone was walking away, only realised when I got round to the East Stand so walked straight back up the hill and got the 422 home... Ridiculous decision from the referee that day!!
  • Options
    yes Barnsley a few years ago.I also drove to Walsall a few years back and arrived just after game was called off.
  • Options
    Me and my dad got all the way to Floyd Road for the Wolves game that was postponed some years back, before believing someone who said the game was off.

NCR, but I used to like a band, and I found out that they were playing a small gig in London one Sunday.  I got dressed up (as one did) and went off up town to find a complete lack of anything happening at the venue.  I went home, checked NME's Gig Guide and saw that I'd got the date wrong.  I thought I was a week early. The next Sunday, I got all dressed up once more, but thought (just before going out) that I should check the listings again, and saw that I was in fact a month early! My mother couldn't understand why I wasn't going out that night anymore...
  • Options
    Aldershot at home - think it was a Sunday game about 1973.Arrived at the Valley to see their fans leaving in coaches to go home
  • Options
    Southampton Boxing Day.
    think an evening West Ham game.
    also others that come to mind are away at Burnley, Sheffield? And on way to chesterfield.
  • Options
    Remember walking back to the cat for the Southampton game as two elderly Southampton fans parked next to me. Told them the game had been called off - they weren't happy as they'd come over from the Isle of Wight.

Also remember us being driven to Hillsborough. Problem was, we were playing at Bramall Lane. That was the last time that mate has been allowed to drive to a game.
  • Options
    Also -Although not a home game -Some of us on here will remember Port Vale Away 1974- Eventful to say the least
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southampton Boxing Day.
    think an evening West Ham game.
    also others that come to mind are away at Burnley, Sheffield? And on way to chesterfield.
    Was asleep on the coach on the way to Chesterfield in the League One title season

Woke up to find the coach turning round just before we got to the M1 and finding out that it had been called off; only away game I've ever started to travel to where that has happened, still pissed that they didnt do the pitch inspection earlier as the weather had been nasty that week
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    yes Barnsley a few years ago.I also drove to Walsall a few years back and arrived just after game was called off.
    Was driving up to Walsall myself when I heard on my car radio that there was to be a late pitch inspection so I stopped off at the next service station to await the outcome.
    Not sure of which service station I was at but seem to remember it was around half way there.....so I made the right call on that one, along with quite a few other Addicks.
    I seem to remember there were a couple of coaches who made the same decision.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Remember walking back to the cat for the Southampton game as two elderly Southampton fans parked next to me. Told them the game had been called off - they weren't happy as they'd come over from the Isle of Wight.

Also remember us being driven to Hillsborough. Problem was, we were playing at Bramall Lane. That was the last time that mate has been allowed to drive to a game.
    Strange way to get to the Southampton game.
  • Options
    Did anyone on here make it all the way to St James Park in 2005/06 (I think it was) when the match was called off an hour before due to the snow in the streets surrounding the stadium?
  • Options
    Was driving up to Walsall myself when I heard on my car radio that there was to be a late pitch inspection so I stopped off at the next service station to await the outcome.
    Not sure of which service station I was at but seem to remember it was around half way there.....so I made the right call on that one, along with quite a few other Addicks.
    I seem to remember there were a couple of coaches who made the same decision.
    I was parked up in Walsall when that was called off. Mind you I was already up in the Midlands for the New Years Day races at Warwick.
  • Options
    For that postponed Chesterfield game, we'd just come out of a Little Chef on the A1 to find out it had been postponed.

Mind you we went to the rearranged Tuesday night game which we one 4-0. Two things about that trip were we were in a pub in Chesterfield Town centre drinking draught Old Peculiar, when the landlord rang for last orders...……. at 5.50pm. The pub closed at 6pm during the week!

Also the dive of a B&B we were staying in - until @SoundAsa£ pulled out a large thermos flask of a particularly strong Pina Colada
  • Options
    Yes, at 04:30am on a Monday morning, but I had been out on it since the Thursday afternoon
  • Options
    West Ham at home in the Premier League a few years back I seem to recall. Walsall away too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back in the early 70’s did anyone travel all the way to Port Vale on a Lewis’s coach only to find the game was off due to a waterlogged pitch. That was a long day ... 
  • Options
    Before smartphones and social media. Home to West Ham on New Years Day 03. Massive hangover. Managed to make my way down to Tulse Hill station and then in to London Bridge. On the train to Charlton, didn't take too much notice of that it was pretty empty. Was told on the platform in Charlton that the game had been called off, due to waterlogged pitch. Straight back home to bed.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Many years ago in the Premier League, New Years Day...

We headed down to The Valley for the midday kick off. All got up a little early, worse for wear from New Years Eve. And there we found out it was a 3pm kick-off. My old man had insisted it was midday. 

We sat in the club bar bored out of our minds for 4+ hours until 2:45pm, when the game was called off for a flooded pitch.

Terrible day.

I'll always remember walking out the bar and seeing some idiot go off at a steward about it. As if it were their fault. 
    Ouch......a double whammy!
  • Options
    I did the 'hat trick of arriving at Blackpool with @Badger last season, (9 hour drive for fish and chips on the seafront), Sheff Wed away in the Cup  (diverted to Bomber Command museum en-route) and Chesterfield (luckily was only at Euston so saved the day), Valley wise the Southampton Boxing day game still wrangles me, there seemed no problem at all, spent the day in the Rose of Denmark instead from memory.      
  • Options
    Me and a good friend went up to Charlton after school to watch a midweek Kent Cup match against Gravesend and Northfleet, I think this was to see what all the fuss was about with Steve Portway. We arrived to The Valley to heavy rain, it continued to rain, very heavily. The game was called off and all the trains were cancelled so we were stuck at The Valley. Had to wait an hour for my dad to pick us up. Got home about 10pm, low point. Will never forget it. 
  • Options
    CHG said:
    Me and a good friend went up to Charlton after school to watch a midweek Kent Cup match against Gravesend and Northfleet, I think this was to see what all the fuss was about with Steve Portway. We arrived to The Valley to heavy rain, it continued to rain, very heavily. The game was called off and all the trains were cancelled so we were stuck at The Valley. Had to wait an hour for my dad to pick us up. Got home about 10pm, low point. Will never forget it. 
    I’m only guessing of course but neither will your Dad.
  • Options
    CHG said:
    I’m only guessing of course but neither will your Dad.
    Ha! Brings it up from time to time...
  • Options
    Remember getting to Oldham for a mid-week game and called off for fog around 8:15pm. Nobody was let into the ground if i remember right. Just milling around outside without a clue. Ref couldn't make mind up as it was drifting. Had trouble finding the ground it was so thick as we got off the M62.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Twice been near the ground when the game was called off, once on the train, once on the A2. I remember the former (the Barnsley game) and that shambles of a pitch at the end of the Spivs' reign
  • Options
    Bolton away in the 60s we ended up watching Man C v Leicester. Also Port Vale in the 70s ended up in the pub all afternoon.