Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have you ever turned up at The Valley to find the game is not on?

Comments

• Options
    Arrived at Selhurst park for a midweek game, can't remember who we was supposed to be playing (no it wasn't Palace), and also went up Sheffield a few years ago for our fa cup match which was called off, was half way there but had b&b already paid up so decided to carry on with journey.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Back in the early 70’s did anyone travel all the way to Port Vale on a Lewis’s coach only to find the game was off due to a waterlogged pitch. That was a long day ... 
    Went that day but on the train. Was halfway to the ground on a long walk from Stoke Station when we got turned around. 
  • Options
    Way, way back in the mists of time took then girlfriend (now wife) to see a home game versus QPR. Jumped off the train in glorious sunshine - only to find game cancelled due to waterlogged pitch! To be fair we'd had a lot of rain that week. Had to spend that Saturday afternoon shopping! Have been to others - some have been mentioned on here that have been cancelled - but that one sticks in my mind.
  • Options
    Southampton game at the valley. we used to park up near Herbert Road and walk down.......got all the way down to Cherry Orchard when we realised we had left  tickets in the car......just as we turned back (cursing) to get tickets - got a call to say that game was called off.
  • Options
    No but I did turn up at Selhurst really early for a midweek 2pm reserve game v Palace in 1983, which involved bunking off school and walking the streets of SE25 for hours to kill time......only to discover that the game had been moved to 7.30pm. I didn't stay.
  • Options
    Also -Although not a home game -Some of us on here will remember Port Vale Away 1974- Eventful to say the least
    Remember arriving at Stoke station to find it was off and events that followed. Didn't we end up at Waterloo later in the say?
  • Options
    westham new year. went with a load ofnpals who are hammers. ended up spending the whole day in the royal oak. was actually a great day 
  • Options

West Ham, Brentford and Southampton at home in the last 20 odd years. Two away games Fulham in the late 70's away, just got to the ground when it was called off, sure it was new years day. And Sheffield Wed in the cup a few years ago.

On the train just left St Pancras and news came through game was off, first stop Leicester. Decided to go to Derby and a few of us spent a great day in the Brunswick Arms. Went to the replay on the Monday night.

• Options
    TN15 said:
    Also -Although not a home game -Some of us on here will remember Port Vale Away 1974- Eventful to say the least
    Remember arriving at Stoke station to find it was off and events that followed. Didn't we end up at Waterloo later in the say?
    Yes to meet our friends from Sellout Park
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    As I live a hundred miles from the valley thankfully it's only happened once, five years ago in one of the first games after twathead took over. Got as far as London Bridge. At Bromley about 30 years ago I turned up at 2.30ish for a game that had kicked off at 12.00.
  • Options

The Orient away relegation decider in 1978 was played on a Wednesday, was supposed to be the night before but that got rained off - I got as far as Woolwich and people were coming back the other way, All a bit ironic as the game was a reply of an abandoned game in the March of that year.

• Options
    Years ago my late father got in from work and announced we were off to the Valley as we were playing Hearts

Get to Charlton not alot of people about, it was Hearts but Hearts of Oak Sporting Club Ancra !!! We won about 6 nil
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Can't remember the date or who we were playing, but remember I was in full kit, as was my brother. My mum and step dad had promised us a good game to go and see... 

We travelled up from Crawley, me and my brother most likely being annoying little sh*ts in the car. 

We finally get to Charlton, walk down charlton lane and onto harvey gardens, commenting about how quiet it was. 

I remember it wasn't cold or wet so cannot remember why it was off, just that it was so random that it was.
  • Options

What's the shortest you've driven before turning back?

Mine is about 5 miles. Was going to the Sheffield Wednesday game, left home in Southend, by the time we'd got to Rayleigh it was off.  Couldn't go to the re-arranged fixture as it was a school day, so went to the wonderful Sheff Utd game instead. 

• Options
    PL West Ham game around New Year.  Travelled with bunch of hammers local to me at the time in Eltham, I went to liberal club as usual, they to antigallican.  They 'dared' me to join them in the antigallican once the game was off, cos y'know hammers travelling support are so scary etc... yawn.  Spent a convivial hour or two as the lone addick among pissed up irons.  Led to much more conviviality with one of their number over the following months, not even the Addicks' double over them that season cooled her enthusiasm.

That boxing day last minute postponement not so fondly remembered.
    One small patch of frosty touchline and that odious egomaniac blight on the game D'Urso norsed up all our days.  I'm sure we never got the full story on that one.  Somebody in charge must have had a really shitty christmas to mug us all off like that.

• Options
    Southampton and West Ham the only two at The Valley which have been called off after arriving at the ground.

Got to Rochdale’s ground in 10/11 when it was postponed. Sat on the train ready to go Chesterfield in 11/12 when match was called off.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Southampton (Boxing Day ) , West Ham and Barnsley . Pissed off especially at the Barnsley game with the club and officials  . Not happy with a certain troll ( he knows who he is )  on CL on the day of the Barnsley game baiting the people who turned up while he sat at home . 
  • Options
    Went down to the Valley to clear snow off the pitch as a volunteer, spent the day there and we managed to clear it well, only to find they postponed the game due to slightly icey footpaths on the way to the ground...never did get my free ticket either :)

Also was heading to a game in January one year with Queensland Addick when it was called off as we were about to go up the M1. Cant remember who we were playing.
  • Options
    Boxing Day (I think)1970. It had snowed, but the buses were running, so off I went, and it was only when I got there that I found out it was off. Fortunately I was only 11, so I hadn’t got to Boxing Day hangovers at that point. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sam Bartram did
  • Options
    Had a couple but the most frustrating was the West Ham premier league match. I'd just driven the best part of 200 miles probably still well over the limit and with the hangover from hell and as I pulled in to the car park, another fan informed me it was off.
  • Options
    Oxford maybe? 83/4/5?

Got down there, snowed off.
  • Options

The Orient away relegation decider in 1978 was played on a Wednesday, was supposed to be the night before but that got rained off - I got as far as Woolwich and people were coming back the other way, All a bit ironic as the game was a reply of an abandoned game in the March of that year.

I went to the abandoned game, but on the night you mention I was on a train back from Glasgow desperate to know the vital result. Finally got home (Dartford at the time) and in the absence of having a telly finally learned of the abandonment the next morning.
    Went to the game that evening straight from work. Very memorable 0-0 actually with a world record number of backpasses to the keeper who in those days was allowed to then pick the ball up and hang on to it for ages.
  • Options
    Years ago my late father got in from work and announced we were off to the Valley as we were playing Hearts

Get to Charlton not alot of people about, it was Hearts but Hearts of Oak Sporting Club Ancra !!! We won about 6 nil
    Think it was 3-0. Accra Hearts of Oak.
  • Options
    Not at the valley, but the Chesterfield postponement a few years ago springs to mind. Found out that the game had been called off while we were on the train up. However, i'd printed off a map detailing 7 or 8 pubs that me and my brother had planned to visit, so after a quick call into spoons to re group, we embarked on an epic pub crawl from 1030am onwards! In order to get a cheap train ticket id booked the return for around 7pm that night, so you can imagine what state we were in by that point. However, i got so pissed that i mixed up the return times and thought we were travelling later than we were. Ended up almost missing the train back, but were saved by a late dash to the station. It should also be noted here that i was on crutches at the time having done my acl, so god knows how we made it! One of my favourite away days ever :smiley:
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    Can't remember the date or who we were playing, but remember I was in full kit, as was my brother. My mum and step dad had promised us a good game to go and see... 

We travelled up from Crawley, me and my brother most likely being annoying little sh*ts in the car. 

We finally get to Charlton, walk down charlton lane and onto harvey gardens, commenting about how quiet it was. 

I remember it wasn't cold or wet so cannot remember why it was off, just that it was so random that it was.

Great detail Daz, almost like I was there myself ;)

• Options
    Another Boxing Day 2010 victim of that bastard D'Urso.

Sheer egomania in my opinion. he did it because he could and ruined Boxing Day for however many thousand turned up.

I 'only' had a 70 mile round trip. Southampton fans would have had double that. 
  • Options
    When I was a lad my parents drove me and a friend to Cambridge. We followed the directions in the CAFC programme.
    Just as my parents drove away we realised we had been directed to Cambridge City and not Cambridge United.
    We had to run miles to the correct ground and missed the ko by about 20 minutes.
  • Options
    Went to Oldham mid 90s. The fog was so thick you couldn’t see more than 10 metres. They didn’t even bother to open the ground. We went to a local pub instead, lost track of time and missed our train. Ended up sleeping in a lift in Manchester Piccadilly station!