Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have you ever turned up at The Valley to find the game is not on?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Coming down from Dumbarton, I like to book my travel and accommodation early in order to get decent rates. So I study the fixture list when its published and decide on the games I’ll come down for. A few years ago I plumped for a Watford game in early March. What I hadn’t planned for (well you wouldn’t would you?) were the dates reserved for the FA Cup quarter finals. So sure enough the Watford game was postponed for the Sheffield U QF on the Sunday. To top it off, Dumbarton were in their first Scottish Cup QF at Aberdeen on that Saturday, in the only QF that wasn’t televised live. I took in a game at Dulwich Hamlet instead. Watched the Game vs Sheffield U in The Old Loyal Britons so at least the beer was good that weekend.
  • Options
    Went to Oldham mid 90s. The fog was so thick you couldn’t see more than 10 metres. They didn’t even bother to open the ground. We went to a local pub instead, lost track of time and missed our train. Ended up sleeping in a lift in Manchester Piccadilly station! 
    Did the lift smell of wee?
  • Options
    Away to Fulham, I think it was New Year’s Day 1980 as they were going on about it being a new decade on the radio. Heard game was off as we were about to park up.
  • Options
    Went to Oldham mid 90s. The fog was so thick you couldn’t see more than 10 metres. They didn’t even bother to open the ground. We went to a local pub instead, lost track of time and missed our train. Ended up sleeping in a lift in Manchester Piccadilly station! 
    Did it smell of piss?
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Did anyone on here make it all the way to St James Park in 2005/06 (I think it was) when the match was called off an hour before due to the snow in the streets surrounding the stadium?
    Yep me and a mate. We stayed in the Holiday Inn express. Went out for a night on the toon and marvelled at the local lasses wading through a ft of snow wearing next to nothing 
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Not at the valley, but the Chesterfield postponement a few years ago springs to mind. Found out that the game had been called off while we were on the train up. However, i'd printed off a map detailing 7 or 8 pubs that me and my brother had planned to visit, so after a quick call into spoons to re group, we embarked on an epic pub crawl from 1030am onwards! In order to get a cheap train ticket id booked the return for around 7pm that night, so you can imagine what state we were in by that point. However, i got so pissed that i mixed up the return times and thought we were travelling later than we were. Ended up almost missing the train back, but were saved by a late dash to the station. It should also be noted here that i was on crutches at the time having done my acl, so god knows how we made it! One of my favourite away days ever :smiley:
    I was probably on the same train as you.

Approaching Chesterfield my mate travelling up by coach said the game was off.  I had a late advanced ticket coming back so went down to the ground and bought a programme then buggered off to Sheffield to see Sheffield United v Wycombe.

All week the weather had been poor but there had been nothing posted on the Chesterfield website to say there were problems, have never forgiven them.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Went to a "game" late 60s could have been Hull or Blackburn but not sure, pissing of rain, no one about & game off but still walked down to the ground. For some reason i was hanging about at the back of the West soaked through & Dennis Booth came out & started talking to me & asked if I wanted a programme so not a totally wasted journey :smiley: Another time we had a friendly arranged on a friday night in the middle of winter, I think it was Leyton Orient. Rushed home from school & it was snowing, did my paper round in record time jumped on the bus & got to the Valley just before Kick off. By this time the snow was heavy, they kicked off & two minutes later the ref abandoned the game. Villa away in the cup, more snow & the game was postponed while we were on the MI. headed back to London & one of the Lewis coaches skidded across the road, plunged down the embankment turning on it's side as it went. Fortunately no serious injuries, a couple of broken arms I think & cuts & bruises. Preston away early 70s I think again on Lewis coaches almost there & heard via radio the game was off. We all wanted to go to Old Trafford as palarse were playing Man U but the coach drivers wouldn't go because of possible trouble so we went to Stoke v Wolves & watched from the open end as both sets of Hoolies battled it out in the Stoke end. big piles of snow at the back of the terracing at the open end & when the Wolves goalie was lying injured in the penalty area he got absolutely pelted with snow balls :smile:
  • Options
    Did it smell of piss?
    No, but it was really annoying as every 10 minutes it would go up or down a few floors and the doors would open and shut. Bloody cold as well. The 05:30 back to London was a god send.
  • Options
    Also -Although not a home game -Some of us on here will remember Port Vale Away 1974- Eventful to say the least
    Ended up watching Villa play Sheffield Utd from the Holt End in fa cup match 5-1 Villa.
  • Options
    I remember going to the Valley to see us v QPR and it was off so loads of us went to the Den for Millwall v Boro.
    Must have been the late sixties.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

What's the shortest you've driven before turning back?

Mine is about 5 miles. Was going to the Sheffield Wednesday game, left home in Southend, by the time we'd got to Rayleigh it was off.  Couldn't go to the re-arranged fixture as it was a school day, so went to the wonderful Sheff Utd game instead. 

Chesterfield
    Me and @stackitsteve got from Thamesmead to Blackwall Tunnel before he had to turn around as it was off
  • Options
    Not a home game, but I drove all the way to Turf Moor in January 1995 to find out the game was off as we pulled up outside the ground...     
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I remember going to the Valley to see us v QPR and it was off so loads of us went to the Den for Millwall v Boro.
    Must have been the late sixties.

Must have been the same one I went to. It had rained heavily that week but on the Saturday it was warm and sunny when we got of the train.