Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Bradford | Sat 30 Mar | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Bradford City
Saturday 30th March 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Martin Coy (County Durham)*

Introduction
Well it’s certainly felt longer than two weeks since we were last in this position but that’s the length of time since we last witnessed the Addicks kicking the ball in anger… A trip to a blustery Bristol Rovers was always going to be a difficult place to take three points. On a plus note the distraction that is the International break (well its less of a distraction for England fans these days) is done, its plain sailing straight ahead to the finishing line, as the Addicks look to cross that mathematical line and so secure an extension in the Play-Offs

The Opposition
Name: Bradford City | Manager: Gary Bowyer
Ground: Valley Parade

From one end of the table to the other, in recent weeks its been a pleasure to see League One in the media for all the right reasons and you have to admit its for impressive reasons at that… In all my years of following the sport I don’t think I’ve witnessed a finish like the one we could see at this level; thirteen teams, separated by nine points means that any potential side could face the drop on the last day – Our visitors this Saturday: Bradford City are the team at the bottom and will be trying to emulate AFC Wimbledon by ensuring that gap doesn’t leave them cast adrift come 5pm on Saturday!!

For a team who reached the Play-Off Final two years ago (Don’t worry Bantams, we’re not frustrated in the slightest at who you lost to) you have to question where it all went wrong, losing the likes of Mark Marshall and Billy Clarke wont have helped but that was two seasons ago… Sadly as is so common with English Football these days the answer is ownership; Edin Rahic would want too much involvement and as Addicks fans know, three managers in a single season never ends well

Rahic would depart the Yorkshire club in December though (albeit with the damage done) so there is hope for Bradford… In Gary Bowyer they have an experienced manager and lining up against us on Saturday will be Billy Clarke, the Irish Midfielder having impressed early in South East London would succumb to an season ending injury and that would be the last we’d see of him… A mutual ending of his Contract in January would see him return to Bradford where has since played nine times, it’ll certainly be a pleasure to see him back playing on the weekend, just hopefully returning home with the wrong result!!

Charlton Team News
An International weekend has in recent years been a bit of an uneventful occasion for the Addicks yet for the fans the years were rolled back this week with six players all departing to represent their countries; Lyle Taylor (Montserrat) and Igor Vetokele (Angola) would get playing time for their nations, whilst the likes of Josh Parker (Antigua), Chris Maxwell (Wales) and Josh Cullen (Ireland) would get to enjoy the experience, all players would of course return to the club fully fit and available this weekend.

Unfortunately its not uncommon for at least one injury and once again its Krystian Bielik that’ll be absent after suffering with an ankle problem against England U21s – The young Pole shows much promise yet if he continues to struggle with injuries throughout his career you’d question his potential to reach the top with parent club Arsenal.

Phillips
Solly | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
Reeves | Cullen | Aribo
Williams
Taylor | Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Dijksteel | Pearce | Lapslie | Pratley | Fosu | Parker

Prediction
Even before the game against Bristol Rovers; Lee Bowyer confirmed that the players would earn a four day rest… Hopefully it means they now return for the final seven league games fully fit and raring to go. At the business end of the season we’ll be up against teams who are either resigned to their fate or will show up fighting for their lives…

Having beaten Peterborough yet lost to Blackpool in recent games its hard to predict which Bradford will turn up.

*Many thanks to @CharltonMan2016 who'll be helping me going forward by finding out the Referee each week, certainly saving me from what can be an difficult search!!

Comments

• Happy Valley will be correct with his prediction Saturday . (Unless he changes ).
    4.0 Charlton and the chase to overtake Pompy for 4th gains momentum. 
  • Lee Bowyer's prediction of an opposition team getting a real thrashing could come to fruition this weekend. 6-0 home win.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
    Good man.
  • Banana skin 
  • No easy but 2-0 ,Williams to surprise us all with one of them. 
  • I would rather win 3-0 : Williams, Parker and Vetokele score, than 5-0 with Taylor 3, Aribo and Reeves score.

Plus no new injuries.
  • Lapslie will be fit - he has just run past my house.
    Good lad.
  • With playoffs looking set, this is the sort of game you want to really win comfortably and dominate to get some momentum and lay down a marker. With that being said, as always I'd take a scrappy 1-0 win and take another step closer to confirming the playoffs mathematically.

I'll go 2-0 Charlton. Aribo and Reeves. 
  • I think we'll win, but I don't think we have the players to rack up a big score.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Good preview as always. Thanks. Must surely be a comfortable home win. Not convinced Reeves and Williams work in the same side but regardless of who we put out we should be winning this with something to spare. Hope Billy C gets a good reception. 
  • edited March 2019
    My concern is that comfortable home wins in my mind don't always work out that way. I mean, if any team seem there for the taking, it must be Bradford coming to the Valley!
  • No injuries is the best result
  • Bradford will be fighting for survival and I expect they will make it very difficult for the Reds. At this time of the season you can throw the form book out of the window as many bottom clubs will be beating the top clubs. An early goal for us will be crucial otherwise we might struggle to control the game. Obviously hoping for a win but this could well be a "banana skin" as someone else has already mentioned. COYR!! 
  • Big big big big game.

Looking forward to Wembley and flights are booked but on second thoughts, would prefer for Sunderland to get the second automatic spot leaving us with Barnsley or Pompey to see off. Having said that, Sunderland would be a fabulous occasion.

Clarke to score for them, obviously.
  • Coming down to my first game of the season, a belated birthday treat. Hoping to see a good performance and a convincing win, but will be happy with 3 points even if its scrappy.
  • 2 - 0 Charlton , Taylor and Reeves.
  • Blimey, don't like it when we go all optimistic on here. It rarely ends well. 

Scrappy 1-1 
  • no injuries hopefully a win, with games in hand on some of the others around us these are the sort of games we need to pick up maximum these games wont be easy as they are scrapping for survival and are only 6 points from survival 
  • Sponsored links:

• Bowyer to triumph 
  • Has there ever been a game between two sides whose managers share the same name? 😂
  • Has there ever been a game between two sides whose managers share the same name? 😂
    Gary Johnson (Father) v Lee Johnson (Son)
  • Igor to score a brace. You heard it here... Potentially first.
  • Should be a comfortable win this - Bradford are a mess at the moment. 
  •  If we get an early goal then we should take the points, but if Bradford score first it will be 10 men behind the ball with us trying to find a way through. Go for 2-0 to Bow's Boys.
  • didnt know where else to stick this but if anyone wants to predict rest of the results of the season

https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-league-one/
  • Charlton 0 Swindon 1

We were top and Swindon bottom,
    Without checking, 99/2000 season ?

Sticking with 3-0 tomorrow.

• You rarely get a large result, like 5-0, (unless you are England,,,,YES), so I will be happy with a 2-0 win