Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Sergio Aguero scored his first Premier League goal for 14-months tonight 
  • Only two goalkeepers have faced Atalanta in the Champions League without ever conceding to them.

One of them is Kyle Walker.

• Jayden Stockley has scored in 6 games this season. And hasn’t been on the winning side in any of those games.
  • Not sure if this has been mentioned before. But there has never been a win 'double' in the Cardiff v Swansea derby.
  • Watching Georgia v Spain and got the following from the commentator:
    Last time Spain lost a WC qualifier was in 1993 (vs Denmark).
  • edited March 2021
    I'm surprised that no-one mentioned Clive Allen in that list. He got 48 or 49 one season.

Edit: just realised that this question annoyingly ignores pre-1992-3 just because of a name change
  • I'm surprised that no-one mentioned Clive Allen in that list. He got 48 or 49 one season.

Also, what about Linekar? I don't think anyone guessed at him.
    The question was Premier league players otherwise people would've been saying Jimmy greaves and Dixie Dean.
  • Danepak said:
    Watching Georgia v Spain and got the following from the commentator:
    Last time Spain lost a WC qualifier was in 1993 (vs Denmark).
    65 unbeaten. W51 D14
  • Adam Lallana won 34 England caps. 
  • Adam Lallana won 34 England caps. 
    Not surprised by this at all, when he first joined Liverpool he was probably the most creative Englishman we had
  • Sponsored links:

• Only surprised as half the time we never given any games to anyone creative.
  • I wasn't being sarcastic (for once) I was genuinely surprised that he played that many times. It just doesn't seem like I saw him in an England shirt anywhere near that often.  
  • I wasn't being sarcastic (for once) I was genuinely surprised that he played that many times. It just doesn't seem like I saw him in an England shirt anywhere near that often.  
    They seem to soon add up these days, not sure whether it's more games (more teams in Europe since Yugoslavia, the USSR etc broke up?) and/or less competition now we have a top league with so many foreign players.

John Stones has 41 caps and he was dropped for 18 months before this squad.  That's more than Jack Charlton got.
    They seem to soon add up these days, not sure whether it's more games (more teams in Europe since Yugoslavia, the USSR etc broke up?) and/or less competition now we have a top league with so many foreign players.

John Stones has 41 caps and he was dropped for 18 months before this squad.  That's more than Jack Charlton got.
    More games I reckon Neil. In 2018 we played 17 matches, so that's half Lallana's caps in one year if he played in all of them...  

Jack Charlton didn't make his England debut until he was 30 though.

But your wider point is correct, there are many more games. If you think that back in the 60s qualifying for the Euro's was a 2-legged straight knockout and then the finals itself only had 4 teams. So you could play a 2 legged tie and be out.

Now we have 10 qualifiers and then a finals tournament with 24 teams. On top of that we now have the Nations league too. We are scheduled to play 15 games in 2021 and that's if we don't even get out of our group at the Euro's.
  • The point about more teams in Europe is very interesting actually, USSR, Yugoslavia, Germany, Czechoslovakia. Whilst teams like Gibraltar have gained international status.
  • Mauricio Pochettino has lost more home games as PSG manager in Ligue 1 (3) in the last 6 weeks than Thomas Tuchel did (2) in the 15 months before his sacking.
  • edited April 2021
    I wasn't being sarcastic (for once) I was genuinely surprised that he played that many times. It just doesn't seem like I saw him in an England shirt anywhere near that often.  
    I was surprised it was that many as well. I honestly thought it would have been around the 20 mark. 

Anyway, thanks I’m now spending my Saturday night looking up England caps..... Phil Neville and Phil Jagielka - 1 short of 100 caps between them. 
  • Norwich have got more than 200 points in the last three seasons, despite only taking 21 points in one of those campaigns.
  • What about Man City? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Antoine Griezmann has become a father for the third time.

All of his children were born on the same day:

8th April 2016
    8th April 2019
    8th April 2021
  • Antoine Griezmann has become a father for the third time.

8th April 2016
    8th April 2019
    8th April 2021
    Good news: only one birthday to remember. Bad news: forget it and you are in so, so much shit.
  • MrOneLung said:
    What about Man City? 
    ?

Man City did not only take 21 points in one of the three?
  • Antoine Griezmann Has only had sex 3 times. 
  • Steve Archibald once appeared on Top of the Pops as part of two groups on the same show.
  • Bruno Fernandes only needs to score in May to complete a full 12 months scoring every month for his club.

Got to be a very rare (unique?) achievement given the normal season breaks.
  • Stig said:
    Antoine Griezmann has become a father for the third time.

8th April 2016
    8th April 2019
    8th April 2021
    Is his birthday 8th July?
    Or his wife?
  • Águilas Doradas in Columbia had to start a game yesterday with 7 players due to a Covid outbreak.  The 7 included 2 goalkeepers, one playing outfield.

The score at half time was 0-0.