Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football facts that don't sound true (but are)

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Tom Farquharson won the FA Cup with Cardiff in goal, after spending time in gaol for being an IRA member.
  • Options
    46 teams in the league (so far) will not be able to play a boxing day fixture due to COVID affecting players.
  • Options
    The shortest goalkeeper to be named in a Premier League matchday squad was Nicky Byrne from Westlife.

1cm taller than Clive Baker of Ipswich according to Wiki...(sorry, got some time on my hands...)
  • Options
    The shortest goalkeeper to be named in a Premier League matchday squad was Nicky Byrne from Westlife.

1cm taller than Clive Baker of Ipswich according to Wiki...(sorry, got some time on my hands...)
    Clive Baker! There is a blast from the 80’s /  90’s. Remember him when he played for Barnsley
  • Options
    Les Green of Derby would be right up there - or right down there should I say - so far as top flight English keepers are concerned
  • Options

Booo!!

The thing I saw put him at 5'8" and Clive Baker at 5'9"!
  • Options
    Laurie Sivell of Ipswich was only 5'8". He played the German goalie in Escape to Victory.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Laurie Sivell of Ipswich was only 5'8". He played the German goalie in Escape to Victory.

Kevin O'Callaghan was just over 5’8” and played the goal keeper for the Allied Forces, before having his arm broken to allow the giant Sylvester Stallone to go in goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But he did save that penalty though!!!
  • Options
    Lewis Baker has been at Chelsea since he was nine years old and has made 45 appearances for England from U17 to U21. Baker will be 27 by the time his contract runs out in six months time. Why haven't I heard of him? Because he's only ever played seven minutes of competitive football for Chelsea and never appeared in the Premier League. But he has been on loan at eight different clubs.

Who could ever accuse Chelsea of farming players? Or players of lacking ambition?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Kevin O'Callaghan was just over 5’8” and played the goal keeper for the Allied Forces, before having his arm broken to allow the giant Sylvester Stallone to go in goal.
    Ouch, I still wince at the thought of that.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    iaitch said:

Ouch, I still wince at the thought of that.
    I know, fancy not knowing where to stand for a corner kick.
  • Options
    In Belgium's top division, they halve everyone's points three-quarters of the way through the season and the remaining games are still for full points.
  • Options
    Did Roland devise that system?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    It's a mad system.

There's 18 teams, they play each other twice then they half the points (and round up for .5 etc so sometimes teams with a point more, say, now have the same points). 

Then the top 4 go into an extra mini league for the title with the half points, play each other twice and in these last 6 games the points are then worth the full 3, 1, 0.

You can win the league despite not getting the most points over the season given the last 6 games are worth more.

There's a Europa League play offs and a relegation playoffs too.

Wondering if they are all as strange as RD.
  • Options
    Just learnt this one from the EFL Quiz on the BBC

Emiliano Marcondes scored the last goal in the 2020/21 season in the Championship (scored in Brentford's Play-Off win at Wembley) - He then scored the first goal of the 2021/22 season in the Championship, after signing for Bournemouth.
  • Options
    It's a mad system.

There's 18 teams, they play each other twice then they half the points (and round up for .5 etc so sometimes teams with a point more, say, now have the same points). 

Then the top 4 go into an extra mini league for the title with the half points, play each other twice and in these last 6 games the points are then worth the full 3, 1, 0.

You can win the league despite not getting the most points over the season given the last 6 games are worth more.

There will be cheering in Brighton if Union SG become the first promoted team to win their Prem in the first season.  
  • Options
    It's a mad system.

No idea who decided that was a good idea.

A team finishing the regular season top with 70 points will then have 35 for the play offs. A team could be second 7 points adrift with 63 points and then they'd have 31.5 rounded up to 32. Meaning a win against the top side and they'd then be top despite finishing 7 points behind them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah it's ridiculous.

Guess it keeps it interesting as even a team say 12, 13 points ahead can suddenly be reeled in within a couple of games after the split, but that's completely wrong to me.  All games should have the same value.
  • Options
    City are leading the Premier League by 8 points. They've scored 51 goals - that's an average of more than 5 goals every 2 games. But their top scorer only has 7.

Yet I keep reading on here that every successful team has to have a 20-25 goals a season striker. 
  • Options
    Since the end of September, Gillingham have won one game from their last 17, scoring just eight goals in total in that time

The remarkable fact is that Steve Evans is still in a job!
  • Options
    In Belgium's top division, they halve everyone's points three-quarters of the way through the season and the remaining games are still for full points.

The Danish Superliga system is weird too.

I can’t get my head around it, but it’s kinda like this:

14 teams

Halfway through the season, the top 6 breaks away in a championship playoff (home and away). They carry their points over.

The bottom 8 (carry points over as well) plays a relegation playoff (home and away).

Here’s the bizarre thing: It’s often actually better for you to finish 7th than 6th.

As 6th, it’s unlikely that you’ll reach top 3 (where the fun is).

If you finish 7th and stay there, you qualify for a one-off game against number 3…for a spot in Europe!!!

• Options
    Since the end of September, Gillingham have won one game from their last 17, scoring just eight goals in total in that time

The remarkable fact is that Steve Evans is still in a job!
    With that record thank God we didn't play them recently as it would have been another victory for them.
  • Options
    City are leading the Premier League by 8 points. They've scored 51 goals - that's an average of more than 5 goals every 2 games. But their top scorer only has 7.

Yet I keep reading on here that every successful team has to have a 20-25 goals a season striker. 
    City are an anomaly because their manager is a genius.

Pretty much every other successful side in football history has had a striker who scored a lot.
  • Options
    When you need to average around 2 points per game to be in the vicinity of a play off place at the end of the season and lose a game, instead of throwing your toys out of the pram and telling everybody else to just give up, apparently all you need to do is win your next two games and it seems you are still on track to average 2 points a game. Now there’s a football fact that some on here won’t believe is true but actually is.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

City are an anomaly because their manager is a genius.

Pretty much every other successful side in football history has had a striker who scored a lot.
    United used to share it about in a good few of the years they won the PL under Fergie. In none of these seasons did a striker hit the 20 mark:

96/97 - Solskjaer (18), Cantona (11), Beckham (8)
    98/99 - Yorke (18), Cole (17), Solskjaer (11)
    00/01 - Sheringham (15), Solskjaer (11), Cole (9)
    06/07 - Ronaldo (17), Rooney (14), Saha (8)
    08/09 - Ronaldo (18), Rooney (12), Berbatov (9)

When Leeds won the Championship in 19/20 these were their top scorers:

Bamford (16), Hernandez (9), Harrison (6), Klich (6), Aliowski (6) - OGs were equal 3rd top scorer with 6 too (there's a fact in itself).
    They still scored 77 League goals as a team with14 different Leeds scorers 

It's better, of course, if a side can spread the goals about as they don't become reliant on one or two players and also when those players are missing through injury or suspension, they aren't left with a massive hole to fill. What would happen to Fulham, for example, if Mitrovic (22 goals in 22 games) was to say he wants to leave in January? The same applies to Bournemouth with Solanke (18) and Brererton-Diaz (20) at Blackburn if either of those are sold in this window. They could be kissing bye to promotion.
  • Options
    When you need to average around 2 points per game to be in the vicinity of a play off place at the end of the season and lose a game, instead of throwing your toys out of the pram and telling everybody else to just give up, apparently all you need to do is win your next two games and it seems you are still on track to average 2 points a game. Now there’s a football fact that some on here won’t believe is true but actually is.
    When you lose 2 on the spin you then have to win your next 4.........
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    When you lose 2 on the spin you then have to win your next 4.........
    Our squad will have the extra players we need for our promotion push by then