Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Clayden (P3. released to Wealdstone)

Comments

• Options
    It'll be interesting what position he plays for Bromley, LB or left wing.

We have a real shortage of left footers at the club, with Clayden loaned out and JFC in the cold. Just Fraser?
  • Options
    Through no fault  of his own, the lad got thrown in at Left Back due to injuries. He’s not a left back. Maybe a wing back.

The lad definitely has something about him going forward and now with DJ out for a few weeks it’s a surprise to loan him out, when with his pace he could have been handy coming off the bench.

• Options
    Could his loan be to cut wages, pretty desperate I know but maybe the magnet will be back on the lectric meter soon too!
  • Options

We have a real shortage of left footers at the club, with Clayden loaned out and JFC in the cold. Just Fraser?
    Jack Payne and Jesrun Rak Sakai are also left footed.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    SDAddick said:
    Leuth said:
    redman said:
    He's the only left footed option we have I believe. We are effectively giving up having a full back overlapping. this was when Kirk was at his best for Crewe btw. Sess always goes backwards and Chin, although probably better defensively, doesn't seem to offer much going forward. 
    Clayden isn't ready to play LB for us. This has been shown quite enough times 
    He's presumably one of the reasons we didn't sigh another LB in the summer...

I said it when Clayden was playing well, he was not ready positonally and tactically to play LB regularly for the first team. It's great that he's left footed and can overlap Kirk, but as soon as we were forced to defend on the back door his lack of experience at the position showed. 

This should have happened at the start of the season. If Deji isn't considered ready for the first team I don't see how you can say Clayden is ready. This should be good for his development and hopefully he can either have an impact in the second half or move to a League club on loan. 
    He is also the reason we only signed Kirk as a left wing option last season and used Washington to fill in until we got him.

Obviously someone at the club is a massive fan, two managers didn't pick him and one has sent him to Bromley....

Not many players get that treatment at his age.  He isn't 18.

That is...baffling. And who made that decision given that three managers haven't played him with any regularity?

He's a 5'8" chalk on your boots winger in 2022. He's quick but he's not rapid. His delivery is decent but not brilliant. He's 21. Like, later this year or next year he might be a decent squad player. Maybe in a couple of years a more regular player with the right experience and development. But who at the club thought he was ready last season?!?! 
  • Options
    My first look at Clayden was the Cambridge game and then I saw him at Wycombe. No surprise, he looked what he is  - a winger being asked to fill in at full back. He looked a bit light weight and didn't close down enough for me but was a willing over lap option for Kirk. What was notable was that kirk often refused to play him in and kept moaning at the lad. I actually felt sorry for Clayden.

He then of course got bombed out of the squad, I think after the bolton debacle, and so all in all this seems a sensible move. Whether he plays left wing or left back it will continue his development and hopefully he comes back a better player for the experience.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

None of them are defenders including Clayden - can't believe you can seriously have a squad with no left footed defenders!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    SDAddick said:
    Leuth said:
    redman said:
    He's the only left footed option we have I believe. We are effectively giving up having a full back overlapping. this was when Kirk was at his best for Crewe btw. Sess always goes backwards and Chin, although probably better defensively, doesn't seem to offer much going forward. 
    Clayden isn't ready to play LB for us. This has been shown quite enough times 
    He's presumably one of the reasons we didn't sigh another LB in the summer...

I said it when Clayden was playing well, he was not ready positonally and tactically to play LB regularly for the first team. It's great that he's left footed and can overlap Kirk, but as soon as we were forced to defend on the back door his lack of experience at the position showed. 

This should have happened at the start of the season. If Deji isn't considered ready for the first team I don't see how you can say Clayden is ready. This should be good for his development and hopefully he can either have an impact in the second half or move to a League club on loan. 
    He is also the reason we only signed Kirk as a left wing option last season and used Washington to fill in until we got him.

Obviously someone at the club is a massive fan, two managers didn't pick him and one has sent him to Bromley....

Not many players get that treatment at his age.  He isn't 18.

That is pure insanity. 

He reminds of Ben Dempsey in a way - still here at 21/22 whilst being patently not good enough for league football. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:

None of them are defenders including Clayden - can't believe you can seriously have a squad with no left footed defenders!
    Matt Dench, Jacob Roddy (now returned from injury) and Toby Bower are all left footed. Toby is still young but a very good attacking full back.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I agree.

I was just pointing out that Fraser isn't our only leftie.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Richard J said:

Matt Dench, Jacob Roddy (now returned from injury) and Toby Bower are all left footed. Toby is still young but a very good attacking full back.
    Is Oguntayo injured again? He impressed me in the Celtic friendly last season.I also think Roddy is right footed but can play in either left back position.

Would it be worth giving Bower a game against Brighton U21's ?
  • Options
    Not in Bromley match day squad, signed too late? 
  • Options
    He's been shite recently, so hopefully it does him good
  • Options
    Just read that he went to Brentwood school. Anybody know how get got on in the school team there? He is a few years younger than Dobson, so unlikely there was an overlap there.

Eilliot Lee went there too. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Just read that he went to Brentwood school. Anybody know how get got on in the school team there? He is a few years younger than Dobson, so unlikely there was an overlap there.

As did Noel Edmonds.
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Frank Lampard, Stewart Robson and Neil Harris went there too. As did Noel Edmonds, Keith Allen and Griff Rhys Jones - not sure whether they made the school team though!
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    mendonca said:

Frank Lampard, Stewart Robson and Neil Harris went there too. As did Noel Edmonds, Keith Allen and Griff Rhys Jones - not sure whether they made the school team though!
    Plus Douglas "Hitch Hikers" Adams, legendary journalist Sir Robin Day  and er Jodie Marsh  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Did read the others that you mentioned went there, but I thought I'd narrow the list down to one relevant to the name of this thread :dizzy:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    mendonca said:

As did Noel Edmonds.
    Bet the house parties were pretty good!! 
  • Options
    Lawrie Wilson went to Brentwood, as did I, a long time ago.
  • Options
    Some decent footballers have come from the school. I remember Teeratep Winothai quite some time ago. Was very good at that level!
  • Options
    Never a left back and had to do a job at the start of the season due to the shambles of a recruitment team during the summer.

Would have liked to seen on the left of a front 3, but now with the young lad Campbell moving up into the first team now and the club afford to keep too many players in one position now, especially with the current on and off selling off the club.

Good luck to him and we may see him again soon. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    Not sure why there’s disagreement in the comments. He’s 22 and couldn’t get in the Bromley team, not good enough and it was quite symbolic of Sandgaards approach to this season that he was expected to play left back in League 1 
    To be fair, he did better at left back than Matt Penney has managed so far. I agree though, best for both parties that he moves on and tries to work his way back up from lower down the pyramid.
  • Options
    Was never quite sure what his best position was but at 22 I think this is for the best that he goes to a club that he's familiar with and looks to rebuild. 
  • Options
    A few too many of on here fell for the trick of judging a winger playing full back in pre-season friendlies and assumed he was going to work. No chance, the level of press and intensity is so different. 

No harsh feelings towards him. More the management of him.

This season we've played at LB or LWB:

Sess
    Clayden
    Clare
    Thomas
    CBT
    Kirk
    Chin
    Ty Campbell

...great planning and execution there. 
  • Options
    Been out of favour since the autumn, and not in the 18 even we had no natural left sided players, so sensible for him to move on.