Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gillingham v Charlton | Sat 27 Apr | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Gillingham v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 27th April 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Lee Swabey (Devon)

Introduction
Well this is rather interesting isnt it… In true Charlton fashion our season has turned into that of a commuter standing on a platform, you can see that there is a delay (in this case to our promotion hopes) yet know that the train is imminent, all you can do is stand around, keep yourself occupied and wait – That’s certainly the feeling of the Football season for the Addicks, baring a drastic set of results it the Play-Off route that we must go down, before we can get on with that particular campaign we need to get two final games out of the way, starting with a short trip to Gillingham and the dark depths of Medway!!

The Opposition
Name: Gillingham | Manager: Steve Lovell
Ground: Priestfield Stadium

In all honesty it’s a bit of a relief that our season can now peter out, our last trip on the road was a tricky encounter against Oxford, as many feared it was where our hopes of automatic promotion ended yet even had we won on Good Friday then this equally would (and still will) be a challenging hurdle as we look to end our season in form.

Of course for Charlton this isnt a derby match; one team is located in Kent, the other in South East London yet with Gillingham as the only League team in their county they have to find rivalries where there are none and with the Addicks being their closest opponents; hey presto!!... Trips down the A2 certainly havent been without difficulty though, you have to go back to 1980 to find our last win in these parts, with two defeats (one in the FA Cup whilst we were a Premier League team) and two draws it confirms that despite having one eye on their holidays; Gillingham will still be up for this encounter!!

Charlton Team News
It’s because of this “derby” that you have to question the team that Lee Bowyer will decide upon… At this stage the important factor is keeping players fit whilst continuing the good form that we’ve seen in 2019 – Surprisingly on Easter Monday we received the early news that Chris Solly’s red card would stand (the result being expected by many) meaning that he will be absent until the second leg of the Play-Off Semi Finals.

Against Scunthorpe last week we certainly saw squad management from the backroom staff and can potentially expect the same again; Albie Morgan would put in a good shift so may be rewarded with a second successive start whilst we should expect another hour run out for Igor Vetokele as we look to keep his fitness levels at the required level… Jake Forster-Caskey made the extremely welcome return to first team duties on Monday afternoon, he replaced Krystian Bielik at the last minute who had issues with his shoulder and could (maybe should) be rested for an extra week just to be safe

Phillips
Dijksteel | Bauer | Sarr | Purrington
Aribo | Cullen | Morgan
Reeves
Taylor | Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Maxwell | Pearce | Lapslie | Pratley | Forster-Caskey | Parker | Williams

Prediction
In all honesty you’d think that the result doesn’t matter either today or against Rochdale on Saturday yet it showed last season when we went into the Play-Offs on the back of a bad result… As the one team neither getting second or finishing seventh (as per our rivals) we’re in the unique position of being able to plan accordingly ahead of the Play-Offs and so go in with a fresher squad than those around us!!

Comments

• Maybe Williams for Reeves just for rotation?
  • Following on from Henry's post on the Bowyer Press Conference thread

Bauer | Bielik | Taylor | Williams are all slight injury concerns at the moment, I posted my Preview before seeing it and cant be bothered to update my Line Up

But something for others to think about when naming their teams
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • 1-1....always seem to struggle down there in recent years.
  • I’d rest a few Saturday and play a full side v Rochdale . 
    This Is Gillingham’s cup final so I think it will be tough . 
    I’m going 1-1 
  • 0-2 Charlton, JFC starts and plays 45-60 minutes hopefully in readiness for play offs to get him match fit.

Wouldn't mind resting Lyle and play Big Josh up top just for fun :)

Result doesn't matter , but it would be nice to keep the form going into the playoffs COYA

• Hard to predict what Bowyer will do here.
    A. Rest players to keep them fit for the playoffs. 
    Or
    B. Play his strongest side and hope to finish 4th. 
    Probably a bit of both.
    2.1 Charlton and 4th could still happen. 
  • I hate going to this place and we always seem to struggle but I am looking forward to it this year.  It's also the closest ground to my home so an easy trip

Lots of former Charlton connections with Hanlon, Regan C-C and Steve Lovell and I think Barry Fuller was an Addick many years ago too - but I am hopeful we can get a morale boosting win and keep others on their toes

Got to go with a full strength team though...not taking the foot off the gas now
  • gills will be fired up for this one and as others have said it is there cup final - not worth a tasty challenge and an injury to someone half decent. 

realistically we are only going to finish 5th at a push maybe 4th but will depend on other results. 
  • I don't think it's going to be pretty, but, I reckon we'll nick a close one 1 - 0 , Taylor with the goal and just win ugly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry for the Charlton faithful making the long trip down to  Caravan central but no way should the lads with niggles play.
    Taylor, Bauer, Williams and Bielik should all stay at home. (Groin, knee, knee and shoulder)

Being 5th is set in stone, but play our strongest team who are 100% fit against Rochdale.

Not worth reaching 4th with Taylor watching Parker in the strikers role.
  • Think the game will be quite flat. Realistically we're out of automatic contention, and they're safe (barring a GD miracle) so neither team has to really go for the win

If we still had a realistic chance of the automatics, then I imagine the Gillingham fans and players would be more up for preventing it, but that's no longer a factor
  • Swisdom said:
    Lots of former Charlton connections with Hanlan, Regan C-C and Steve Lovell ...
    What is Steve Lovell's connection with Charlton?
  • Swisdom said:
    Lots of former Charlton connections with Hanlan, Regan C-C and Steve Lovell ...
    What is Steve Lovell's connection with Charlton?
    He was a coach with the Club
  • Having seen the notes from the press conference wouldn't be surprised to see some changes for this one. Could see Parker get a run out instead of Taylor. If he can't even score against the Gills we should just leave him there.

1-1 Gillingham fans celebrate long into the night July after avoiding defeat against against the massive club down the road that fear them barely know who they are.
  • 0-2 Charlton, JFC starts and plays 45-60 minutes hopefully in readiness for play offs to get him match fit.

Wouldn't mind resting Lyle and play Big Josh up top just for fun :)

Result doesn't matter , but it would be nice to keep the form going into the playoffs COYA

JFC and Page playing in a behind doors game today, so unlikely to start on Saturday, although would expect him to be on the bench if all goes well today
  • Taylor’s groin is tight I’d rest him we took a chance with Page and his groin and look what happened, Gills is small fish now.
  • Draw is the minimum requirement. We need a squad full of confidence and firing on all cylinders going into the playoffs. A draw in second gear with no injuries or suspensions would do me.
  • edited April 2019
    This is what it should be IMO. not sure a defeat with a weakened team would be too bad for us. We have the Rochdale home game to go into the play offs with a victory.

Maxwell
    Marshall | Pearce | Sarr | Purrington
             Williams | Cullen | Morgan
                          Reeves
              Parker              Fosu (Vetokele if he needs some time)
  • Jesus, this game is looking more & more depressing as every day passes.......

1) Bad record there (I've never seen us win)

2) Bad weather expected (wind & rain) with exposed open seating

3) ex-players in scoring form (Halon & Charles-Cook)

4) potentially no Taylor 

With all that considered I'm going for a 3-0 defeat. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2019
    Might be a good game to have a bet on!
  • Yellow warning of wind

Areas affected: London & South East England | South West England | Wales

Starts: 21:00 BST on Fri 26 April

Ends: 15:00 BST on Sat 27 April

A spell of strong winds is expected across parts of south Wales, south and southwest England, bringing a risk of disruption to travel. - Some delays to road, rail, air and ferry transport are likely, with bus and train services affected - Delays for high-sided vehicles on exposed routes and bridges likely - Some short term loss of power and other services is possible due to fallen branches - It’s likely that some coastal routes, sea fronts and coastal communities could be affected by spray and/or large waves

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/warnings/weather

• surely now the team can relax and play some attractive flowing football ready for the sterner tests ahead ..
     on the other hand Gillingham are not yet perfectly safe from relegation and will not give us an easy ride .. one more point will do it for them .. let's hope that it is not against us (though I suspect it'll be a draw) and that they do not cut up toooo rough in the desire for League One safety

Gillingham 0 v CAFC 0
  • clive said:2

Yellow warning of wind

Areas affected: London & South East England | South West England | Wales

Starts: 21:00 BST on Fri 26 April

Ends: 15:00 BST on Sat 27 April

A spell of strong winds is expected across parts of south Wales, south and southwest England, bringing a risk of disruption to travel. - Some delays to road, rail, air and ferry transport are likely, with bus and train services affected - Delays for high-sided vehicles on exposed routes and bridges likely - Some short term loss of power and other services is possible due to fallen branches - It’s likely that some coastal routes, sea fronts and coastal communities could be affected by spray and/or large waves

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/warnings/weather

That's the caravans buggered then.
  • Dills
    Marshall
    Pearce
    Sarr
    Purrington
    Cullen
    Lapslie
    Aribo
    Reeves
    Parker
    Igor

Other than maintaing momentum, its a dead rubber for us so take no chances on any of the players carrying knocks - rest them all.
  • Rain and 40mph winds.
    The temporary scaffold terrace will collapse and the the match will be abandoned. :wink:
  • Sage said:
    Can I ask why some people have gone for Marshall at right back when Dijksteel is 100% going to play? It’s his time now to make that right back position his going into the last games of the season. He scored on Monday. Confidence is high and is steadily getting better. 

There is no chance of Marshall coming in from the wilderness and playing in a role he has never played previously. Right wing back sure, he has done that and can do a half decent job, but right back, no chance.

Just find it bizarre. We need momentum going into the play-offs, of course don’t take unnecessary risks, if some are carrying a knock that could get worse, be cautious and do the right thing but come on, drastic changes does nothing really positive for the team moving forward. 
    Could not agree more.
                                                    Phillips 

Dyksteele, Pearce, Sarr, Purrington.

Aribo Cullen Morgan

Reeves

Parker Vetokele 
  • Redrobo said:
    Sage said:
    Can I ask why some people have gone for Marshall at right back when Dijksteel is 100% going to play? It’s his time now to make that right back position his going into the last games of the season. He scored on Monday. Confidence is high and is steadily getting better. 

There is no chance of Marshall coming in from the wilderness and playing in a role he has never played previously. Right wing back sure, he has done that and can do a half decent job, but right back, no chance.

Just find it bizarre. We need momentum going into the play-offs, of course don’t take unnecessary risks, if some are carrying a knock that could get worse, be cautious and do the right thing but come on, drastic changes does nothing really positive for the team moving forward. 
    Could not agree more.
                                                    Phillips 

Dyksteele, Pearce, Sarr, Purrington.

Aribo Cullen Morgan

Reeves

Parker Vetokele 
    Spot on Redrobo.

Plus just play Igor 45 minutes against the Gills.

Play our strongest team against Rochdale, unless Taylor, Bauer, Bielik or Williams still have a niggle.