Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham v Charlton | Sat 27 Apr | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    A last push in case anyone still interested...1 spare ticket available as sadly can't make game now. Message if interested
  • Options
    A last push in case anyone still interested...1 spare ticket available as sadly can't make game now. Message if interested
    Put it on the spare tickets thread 
  • Options
    Or the compost heap.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I was gutted after losing to Oxford, but if we lose tomorrow it won't bother me at all. Rochdale at home is the game to set us up for the play offs. Tomorrow is an opportunity to rest key players with minor knocks and ensure we are fully up to speed for the play offs.

And to be fair, even a severely weakened team will give a poor Gills side a game.   
  • Options
    My result prediction will be based upon the team that’s put out.....until then it’s a difficult one to chose between a win or a draw.
    I am not expecting a defeat though, whatever the line up.
  • Options
    Forecast keeps changing. It is now supposed to remain dry, but 40 mph winds.
  • Options
    At this rate there will be a mini heatwave tomorrow. If they had been right with their forecasts at the beginning of the week we would all have been soaking wet the last 3 days as we went to work and home again and dodging thunderstorms. 

• Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Was it Keith Peacock who said, 'If Kent is the garden of England, then Gillingham is the outside toilet'?
    Sounds about right.
  • Options
    Not a game to risk players carrying a knock, although I wouldn’t be surprised to see one or maybe two of those mentioned by Bowyer in the squad. If all four are out, it will presumably be Monday’s team plus Pearce and Parker.

Gillingham are realistically safe but they’ll want to put one over on us in their last home game of the season and I expect a bit of fur to be flying - albeit that they are 6th in the Fair Play Table and we are 21st. I wouldn’t be surprised at a draw and the most important thing for us is to avoid any further injuries. I expect the Rochdale game to be an altogether more sedate affair, akin to an end of season kick about.
  • Options
    Steve Lovell sacked wtf 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No new manager bounce please!
  • Options
    Steve Lovell sacked wtf 
    Unbelievable. He must have had a big falling out with the Scally. 
  • Options
    Lovell going or gone. Sounds like that will help The Gills
  • Options

"After a discussion between the chairman [Paul Scally] and manager this afternoon, the club can confirm that Steve Lovell has been relieved of his duties with immediate effect," a statement on the Gillingham website said.

"The club would like to thank Steve for his efforts with the team over the past 18 months and wish him well for the future."

i reckon he wanted to talk about next season and Scally decided he probably wasnt going to be there so let him 

• Options
    Not a match to look fwd to. Even if it doesn't rain with no roof the atmosphere is muted at best. Dreadful record here too and our minds are elsewhere. 1-0 Gillingham.
  • Options
    Trust Scally to ruin our "your going to be sacked in the morning" after we beat them  :)
  • Options
    Rumours that the fat cnut Steve Evans is taking over!
  • Options
    Fcuk it.
    That's my chance of a lie gone 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Rubbish. There ain't enough jumbo packets of Barbecue Wotsits in Medway!
  • Options
    Are we talking about your bottom mate?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pressure is off now and it will show. Comfortable away win, 0-4.
  • Options
    We absolutely need to just play fresh legs....like youth players or squad players.

STAY INJURY FREE

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    We absolutely need to just play fresh legs....like youth players or squad players.

STAY INJURY FREE

I agree with Dave.

Play the Under-23s and brief them to time-waste until June 30th.

(0-0)

• Options
    Dave2l said:

STAY INJURY FREE

I agree with Dave.

(0-0)

Cheers thanks for considering us travelling fans watching a reserve side. I want to win to keep momentum going.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    At this rate there will be a mini heatwave tomorrow. If they had been right with their forecasts at the beginning of the week we would all have been soaking wet the last 3 days as we went to work and home again and dodging thunderstorms. 

Weather forecasts are pretty much 80% accurate for the next 24 hours.  It's not that weather forecasters aren't good at their job, it's that weather is a chaotic system and so can't be accurately worked out.

So, given their starting point for working out the day after next's weather is only 80% accurate, and they're only 80% accurate with what they work out from there, the prediction for two days ahead is 64% accurate, and for three days ahead is 51.2% accurate.  It's hardly surprising, then, they get it wrong sometimes.
  • Options
    Strange decision to sack the manager, they're 13th in the table. Was Scally expecting a play off place?
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

STAY INJURY FREE

I agree with Dave.

(0-0)

Cheers thanks for considering us travelling fans watching a reserve side. I want to win to keep momentum going.
    I'm going and I want to see the u23s
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Dave2l said:

STAY INJURY FREE

I agree with Dave.

(0-0)

I'm going and I want to see the u23s
    You are correct.
    We have several players who are created by Swarovski, they are fragile and have to be handled with care.
    How we get the likes of Williams, Bielik, Vetokele etc to play 3 playoff matches is anyones guess.

Enjoy the banter today with our Caravan cousins But the result isn't important, only no one getting injured or anyone picking up a red card.(yes you Lyle)

• Options
    Dave2l said:

STAY INJURY FREE

Like some people vote team over country, I'm voting team over Dave21!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Gillingham are one of three sides in this division to regularly play a diamond formation, us and Luton are the two others. I don’t see why they would move away from that formation and a front three including the player at the tip of the diamond are not bad at this level. Tom Eaves as we know scores a lot of goals, not too much since the turn of the year however, only 5 in 4 months. But with his contract up at the end of the season, this being his last home game for Gillingham, he may want to go out on a high in front of his supporters. It’s the two we know really well who have picked up form, considering they hadn’t really scored previously, Hanlan and Charles-Cook. Hanlan has scored 5 goals himself this calendar year whilst Reegan has chipped in too recently. They’re going to have a point to prove so we must be cautious in defence. They have one or two others who are capable in this league, Mark Byrne in midfield being another to mention. But overall, even with a few changes, we ought to have too much for this Gillingham side.

Their form recently has not been too good, but it’s been enough to pull them away from any relegation fears. Two wins, two draws and two losses are their last 6, but these wins have come against Plymouth and Wimbledon and draws against Bradford and Rochdale, teams all who have been in the bottom four for much of this season. However, they’ve picked up points in the games that matter more to them. We should be too much for this side today. They’ve scored and conceded 9 too in their last 6. This is a very average League One side.

For us, I wouldn’t worry too much about what Bowyer has said regarding injuries. Taylor will play, as will Bauer. I expect Williams to start on the bench and on Monday Bielik was sitting only a few rows in front of me, almost fell over the row getting to his seat, and his shoulder was strapped up. But with a week since, I would expect him to be fine, but possibly not risked. We won’t be seeing Fosu or Marshall again as that’s been proved recently with the selections to the squad. I personally don’t anticipate much change. Pearce probably coming in for Sarr, which is a real shame because Naby adds so much to our side, especially more going forward. I think we could see a change in midfield with Morgan dropping to the bench, which will be a shame as he played well on Monday. But in a game like this, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Pratley start believe it or not. One other interesting one could be does Page get on the bench or Forster-Caskey, tough call but with both playing around an hour the other day, I am unsure if Forster-Caskey will be risked, and instead saved for next week. We shall see, would love both to be on the bench.

Phillips
    Dijksteel Bauer Pearce Purrington
    Pratley
    Cullen Aribo
    Reeves
    Taylor Vetokele

Maxwell, Sarr, Page, Lapslie, Morgan, Williams, Parker

Gillingham 0-2 Charlton Athletic
    Taylor
    Pratley