Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster v Charlton Playoffs first leg 2019 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    I think their manager implied it was tactical. But you can't believe anything a manager says as they like to play these games and not give anything away!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I think their manager implied it was tactical. But you can't believe anything a manager says as they like to play these games and not give anything away!
    I can't cut and paste from the BBC match report but it contains words to the effect that 'there are concerns over Coppingers fitness and availability for the 2nd leg as he was withdrawn at half time'.

Might have been precautionary but we'll have to wait and see. If it was tactical that's a strange one because he posed a threat apart from Wilks. Aged 38, I'd have subbed him on 60 mins if he wasn't suffering from injury.
  • Options
    Last time we won the first leg of a play off 2-1 what happened next?
  • Options

He may have been injured or it may have been tactical. If the latter, it worked - they won the second half 1-0!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    We've never won the first leg of a Play-Off by that scoreline

We beat Leeds 2-1 in 1987 but that was Play-Off Final Replay

Drew 0-0 at Ipswich in 1987
    Lost 2-1 at home to Palace in 1996
    Won 1-0 at Ipswich in 1998
    Lost 2-1 at Swindon in 2010
    Lost 1-0 at home to Shrewsbury in 2018
  • Options
    Have to admit I wondered how the hell he wasnt offside when he collected the ball and through my excitement of bouncing round the living room like a lunatic I didnt get to see many clear cut replays of Cullen's run

Going by that though am confident it was the correct call - Imagine the Doncaster fans are going mental with the offside call after their late disallowed goal up there in February
  • Options
    Have to admit I wondered how the hell he wasnt offside when he collected the ball and through my excitement of bouncing round the living room like a lunatic I didnt get to see many clear cut replays of Cullen's run

Going by that though am confident it was the correct call - Imagine the Doncaster fans are going mental with the offside call after their late disallowed goal up there in February

we definitely got away with one there...I don't think it was offside
  • Options
    Just fed of reading Donny fans going on and on and on and on and on. It took a flick off the defender.....doesn't matter he was offside from the original cross....the number 10 was offside and challenged for the ball....we had a good goal chalked off when we played them in the league etc etc etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We also had a good goal chalked off against Bristol Rovers which would have left us a point off second - Dont hear us harping on about though (apart from now of course)
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    You have to watch the Doncaster vlog by '18Dapper' on YouTube' it's hilarious when the first goal goes in. Booing endlessly then says 'We've been cheated and robbed again' before proclaiming 'That is the worst decision I have ever seen from a referee and linesman in football'. Great viewing...:)
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/17638040.doncasters-blair-holds-no-fear-for-charlton-ahead-of-play-off/

Doncaster Rovers have ‘nothing to fear’ from the second leg at Charlton according to Matty Blair.
    Blair believes another showing similar to the second 45 in the first leg would be enough to overturn the 2-1 aggregate deficit on Friday.
    In a first leg where the Addicks looked in complete control, Rovers were given a lifeline to take to The Valley after the 31-year-old scrambled home a late score.
    "I think we've got nothing to hide and nothing to fear," Blair told Doncaster Free Press.
    "They may fear us after the second half, who knows.
    "People weren't expecting us to get into the play-offs so that is one thing to get there.
    "We're not here to make up the numbers.
    "We're a very good outfit, a very good squad and on our day we can beat anyone."
    Lee Bowyer’s men looked comfortable throughout the tie at The Keepmoat Stadium despite conceding a large portion of possession.
    A quick first-half double from Lyle Taylor and Joe Aribo put the Addicks in complete control of the two-legged affair before Blair’s header gave Grant McCann’s outfit hope of a second-leg upset.
    "I think we just need to play how we did in the second half but with a bit more energy and a bit more quality," Blair continued.
    "I think we have nothing to fear.
    “It's a game I'm really excited for, after the second half of that game.
    "I'm really looking forward to it and we'll give it a right go."
    The winners will face either Portsmouth or Sunderland at Wembley on May 26.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/17638040.doncasters-blair-holds-no-fear-for-charlton-ahead-of-play-off/

Doncaster Rovers have ‘nothing to fear’ from the second leg at Charlton according to Matty Blair.
    Blair believes another showing similar to the second 45 in the first leg would be enough to overturn the 2-1 aggregate deficit on Friday.
    In a first leg where the Addicks looked in complete control, Rovers were given a lifeline to take to The Valley after the 31-year-old scrambled home a late score.
    "I think we've got nothing to hide and nothing to fear," Blair told Doncaster Free Press.
    "People weren't expecting us to get into the play-offs so that is one thing to get there.
    "We're a very good outfit, a very good squad and on our day we can beat anyone."
    Lee Bowyer’s men looked comfortable throughout the tie at The Keepmoat Stadium despite conceding a large portion of possession.
    A quick first-half double from Lyle Taylor and Joe Aribo put the Addicks in complete control of the two-legged affair before Blair’s header gave Grant McCann’s outfit hope of a second-leg upset.
    "I think we just need to play how we did in the second half but with a bit more energy and a bit more quality," Blair continued.
    Unless they're facing a team in the top five... seeing they've only beaten Luton out of the teams that were above them and that was back in September and that was at home so they've not won a single away game

D5 | L4 is their record in the other matches

Only thing that worries me now is the fact that the win on Sunday saw us win our fourth game on the trot for the fourth time this season, we've yet to win five games in a row
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Unless they're facing a team in the top five... seeing they've only beaten Luton out of the teams that were above them and that was back in September and that was at home so they've not won a single away game

Only thing that worries me now is the fact that the win on Sunday saw us win our fourth game on the trot for the fourth time this season, we've yet to win five games in a row
    Don‘t need to win. A draw will do :-)
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Don‘t need to win. A draw will do :-)
    Its why I'm partly hoping that we draw...

Means our 4-winning run ends but ready to start again @ Wembley
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Spankie said:
    Sage said:
    Spankie said:
    The first goal yesterday was 100% onside despite what every single Donny fan thinks. The first goal on Friday is vital. They get it, game on. We get it, job nearly done. Buzzing for the match, is it only Monday?!!
    Cullen certainly looked offside to me when the ball was kicked into the area by the Charlton player.  That it then came off a Donny player's head is immaterial.
    Obviously agree it would be immaterial, but was onside when the ball was played by Morgan for me. 
    As you can see, Cullen is level and this is after Morgan has played the ball into the box. There is not a frame available for when he played the ball, but Cullen was onside, not that it does matter, but the goal was completely legitimate, even without the Doncaster defender heading the ball from Morgan’s initial cross.

Seen umpteen Donny fans saying it was off, it was off. Cullen was onside when the ball was played in by Morgan. Header by Donny defender means Cullen is not offside when he collects the ball on the goalline. Even seen a Donny fan saying Parker was off when the original cross came in which he was (albeit very marginally) but he moves towards the penalty spot when the ball is in the air and is not interfering with play. I think the above shot is maybe just after Morgan played the ball as Parker is already moving away from goal. As a referee of 16 years' experience I have played this back time and again and paused it and every single time no Charlton player is offside. Scrappy goal but a perfectly legitimate one. I need a lie down....
    The screen shot above does not show the moment the ball was crossed.
    You can see the players of both sides following the flight of the ball and they are all looking back to where it’s going to.

• Options
    At the risk of jinxing us, I can't see us not scoring at the Valley, so Donnie will probably need 3 goals to go through. Not impossible, but my gut feel is it will be too much for them.  First goal will be important as ever. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    We've never won the first leg of a Play-Off by that scoreline

We beat Leeds 2-1 in 1987 but that was Play-Off Final Replay

Drew 0-0 at Ipswich in 1987
    Lost 2-1 at home to Palace in 1996
    Won 1-0 at Ipswich in 1998
    Lost 2-1 at Swindon in 2010
    Lost 1-0 at home to Shrewsbury in 2018
    Had my Swindon scoreline back to front in my head. That was 2-1 to them, 2-1 to us and they went through after Nicky Bailey created a new crater on the moon and Llera got a red on the halfway line. 

We looked good in that 2-1 win... Until Llera went off.
  • Options

First time for everything. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah remember those Play-Offs games like they were yesterday

Bloody awful in the first game and were rescued by a Deon Burton goal, absolutely dominated the second leg (with their sub-Goalkeeper coming on early and having a blinder) only to concede a late goal ourselves!!
  • Options
    They will have to play better than they did in the second half to have any chance at the Valley. Actually, I thought they were slightly better in the first half. 
  • Options
    They will have to play better than they did in the second half to have any chance at the Valley. Actually, I thought they were slightly better in the first half. 
    Agreed... Second Half they were just shooting from distance or having lame crosses cleared by our Defence

Did Phillips actually have a save to make?
  • Options
    Agreed... Second Half they were just shooting from distance or having lame crosses cleared by our Defence

He made a very good save in the first half. 
  • Options

Edit that's what you meant wasn't it doh. 
  • Options

Edit that's what you meant wasn't it doh. 
    Now now Stu, this is a happy place at the minute, no need to start a row with yourself!
  • Options
    Did not want to open another thread

Master Gunner Quest‏ @DJ_Questonline
    FollowFollow @DJ_Questonline
    @OfficialBHAFC remember when @CAFCofficial said Curbishley had taken them as far as he could? Charlton haven't been seen since #knowyourplace #BeCarefulWhatYouWishFor.

Which is the bigger myth? This or the Loch Ness Monster? #cafc
  • Options

So if it wasn't for the fact they are not as fit as us and not as good at football as us, they'd have won. Remember the name Matty Blair, with revolutionary thinking like that he could turn the footballing world upside down if he ever goes into management.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    If they had Messi and Ronaldo they would be a lot better than us to be fair! I like them, nice club, and they have to try to find some hope don't they, but they can't make their players better than ours in less than a week. The difference ought to be more evident at the Valley!
  • Options
    Need to maintain our discipline on Friday. They will be at us from the off with all sorts of falling down and histrionics, trying to get someone sent off.