Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster v Charlton Playoffs first leg 2019 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Congratulations, all, and good luck in the 2nd leg.
    You just want the six points from us going up to ease your relegation fears.
    Sshhhhhhhhh ;) 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I don’t see why people have an issue with the “que sera sera” song being sung at yesterday’s game.

Its sentiment is no different from ‘the reds are going up’, ‘up the football league we go’ etc etc. 
    People are just afraid to get egg on their face or look silly. I personally love it and although there is every chance it could make our players nervous or the opposition motivated, there is also every chance that our players will gain energy from it and Donny players could feel deflated. 

Anything to get us making some racket I say 
  • Options
    Call me greedy, but I hope we can get to half time with say a 2-0 scoreline as that would make the tie virtually safe, so we can think about resting/protecting key players like Aribo and Taylor in the second half.

• Options
    Call me greedy, but I hope we can get to half time with say a 2-0 scoreline as that would make the tie virtually safe, so we can think about resting/protecting key players like Aribo and Taylor in the second half.

Massive shame Taylor didnt get that third goal yesterday as would be suggesting that already
  • Options

Greedy.
    This is Charlton
  • Options

I think we treat it like Rochdale - take them apart and when safe, make a few subs with final in mind. That ought to be the plan anyway.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    The first goal yesterday was 100% onside despite what every single Donny fan thinks. The first goal on Friday is vital. They get it, game on. We get it, job nearly done. Buzzing for the match, is it only Monday?!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    I don’t see why people have an issue with the “que sera sera” song being sung at yesterday’s game.

Its sentiment is no different from ‘the reds are going up’, ‘up the football league we go’ etc etc.
    In homage obviously.............
  • Options
    Finally home after staying a night in Lincoln with the girlfriend. The journey from Doncaster to Lincoln was a ballache with part of the A57 closed but we did get to see the delights of Saxelby and Skellingthorpe villages. 

The game. Yes Doncaster hit the bar. Dillon made one flying save in the first half. Other than that, they hardly created anything. I think it was clear to see we are just by far a better football team than they are. 

Pleased Bowyer gave Albie Morgan his chance and he rewarded that faith with a hand in both goals. 

Taylor has been the best signing of this regime. We haven’t had a talismanic figure like him for so so long. I also feel like he did well to keep his frustration to himself given I don’t think he got awarded a single free kick?

Usually a team in league one get a crop of loan signings and maybe one will be dependable. We are lucky to have Cullen, Beilik and Purrington. 

Bauer, also my motm, was an absolute rock. His reading of the game yesterday was championship level. 

I havent yet seen any replay or discussion on the Parker “foul” where he scored. I sneezed just as he was shooting and missed what happened. Can anyone confirm this was the correct call? Tbf to Parker, he has put in a real
    shift the last two games. All set up for him to score the winner at Wembley. Then we will definitely all be on the pitch..

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable weekend. 

• Options
    edited May 2019
    andyg90 said:
    Finally home after staying a night in Lincoln with the girlfriend. The journey from Doncaster to Lincoln was a ballache with part of the A57 closed but we did get to see the delights of Saxelby and Skellingthorpe villages. 

The game. Yes Doncaster hit the bar. Dillon made one flying save in the first half. Other than that, they hardly created anything. I think it was clear to see we are just by far a better football team than they are. 

Pleased Bowyer gave Albie Morgan his chance and he rewarded that faith with a hand in both goals. 

Taylor has been the best signing of this regime. We haven’t had a talismanic figure like him for so so long. I also feel like he did well to keep his frustration to himself given I don’t think he got awarded a single free kick?

Usually a team in league one get a crop of loan signings and maybe one will be dependable. We are lucky to have Cullen, Beilik and Purrington. 

Bauer, also my motm, was an absolute rock. His reading of the game yesterday was championship level. 

I havent yet seen any replay or discussion on the Parker “foul” where he scored. I sneezed just as he was shooting and missed what happened. Can anyone confirm this was the correct call? Tbf to Parker, he has put in a real
    shift the last two games. All set up for him to score the winner at Wembley. Then we will definitely all be on the pitch..

From memory, the defender was blocking Parker off with his arm, Parker shrugged the arm away which caused said defender to fall in a heap, allowing Parker to reach the ball.  The ref ignored far more blatant fouls on our guys but you can see why he blew.
  • Options
    great win on a warm and sunny day out and that was just the football .. WHINGE TIME .. when Pearce came on and we reverted to a back 3, we lost both shape and impetus .. too often for the last 10 minutes of a game we go into our defensive shell and ironically, as yesterday, we concede .. I pray that this does not come back and bite us in the arse on Friday night .. otherwise, a superb all round performance in a good, usually clean game in which Doncaster contributed in no small measure .. Wembley beckoneth .. Come on you Addicksaaaaaaaa ((:>)
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Was thinking the same. Que sera sera is more pessimistic than we're on our way to the Championship as it includes defeat at Wembley!
  • Options

Would be a luxury but there is nearly a full 9 days between Friday and the final, I don't believe it would be necessary to rest anyone. Of course a dodgy challenge from a stroppy Donny loser could hurt us later on though!
  • Options
    Spankie said:
    The first goal yesterday was 100% onside despite what every single Donny fan thinks. The first goal on Friday is vital. They get it, game on. We get it, job nearly done. Buzzing for the match, is it only Monday?!!
    Cullen certainly looked offside to me when the ball was kicked into the area by the Charlton player.  That it then came off a Donny player's head is immaterial.
  • Options
    andyg90 said:

From memory, the defender was blocking Parker off with his arm, Parker shrugged the arm away which caused said defender to fall in a heap, allowing Parker to reach the ball.  The ref ignored far more blatant fouls on our guys but you can see why he blew.
    Parker pulled the defender out of the way which caused him to fall in a heap so you can see why he blew.  Parker had the player between him and the ball and could only get to it by committing the foul
  • Options
    Spankie said:
    Cullen certainly looked offside to me when the ball was kicked into the area by the Charlton player.  That it then came off a Donny player's head is immaterial.
    Obviously agree it would be immaterial, but was onside when the ball was played by Morgan for me. 
  • Options
    another big plus for us is Doncaster don't give much away at home only 3 losses and 21 goals conceded at the keepmoat the plus in a way for us is away from home they only picked up 7 wins. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Would be a luxury but there is nearly a full 9 days between Friday and the final, I don't believe it would be necessary to rest anyone. Of course a dodgy challenge from a stroppy Donny loser could hurt us later on though!
    It's also about protecting key players on bookings...
  • Options
    Spankie said:
    Obviously agree it would be immaterial, but was onside when the ball was played by Morgan for me. 
    As you can see, Cullen is level and this is after Morgan has played the ball into the box. There is not a frame available for when he played the ball, but Cullen was onside, not that it does matter, but the goal was completely legitimate, even without the Doncaster defender heading the ball from Morgan’s initial cross.

• Options
    Spankie said:
    OK.
  • Options
    Have Doncaster said why they took off Coppinger at half time? I've not seen whether it was tactical or an injury
  • Options
    Arrived back from Doncaster about an hour ago. I thought the place itself was a bit of a dump (not where the Keepmoat is but the Town Centre). But that's beside the point.

I thought we were the far better team. I think the only way they were going to score was the way they did. A lucky deflection that could have gone anywhere but dropped in the perfect place for them. They were very lucky to get that. We should have been 3 or 4 up at the half but we weren't. But, we were a far superior team.

Roll on Friday.  COYR!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Why were people dressed for winter yesterday.
    Jumpers coats jeans.
  • Options
    Spankie said:
    Not sure that is technically true... if Doncaster player makes an attempt to play the bull and makes contact, under the new rules that would count as a new phase of play
  • Options

I think we treat it like Rochdale - take them apart and when safe, make a few subs with final in mind. That ought to be the plan anyway.
    I hope the players are paying Doncaster a bit more respect than this and not just assuming we can take them apart.