Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Sunderland final. Pros and Cons

13»

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:
    They have McGeady who can produce a bit of magic out of nothing. Could be the difference in what will be a nervy tight game.
    How would you approach it mate?  You’ve always got a good grip on this sort of stuff 
    Marking McGeady or the game in general?
    What foot did McGeady break? Bet it would really hurt if someone accidentally stood on it in the 1st couple of minutes next Sunday? 👼
    You would certainly test it, given the opportunity, if he plays. it would be a massive risk by their manager. He doesn't strike me as a risk taker.
  • Options
    Donny did a job on us on Friday evening, Sunderland will have seen that and will know how to  nullify our team, it is up to LB & JJ to use different tactics in what is a very different type of game
    Bowyer and Jackson were at fratton park Thursday evening.

Just like our opponents...we can work out the best strategy for a specific tactical plan against a good defensive side. 

It's just about what happens on the day.

I reckon Williams might start.
  • Options
    The Championship winner then plays the League One winner for the Darren Bent trophy presented by Darren Bent himself.
    The cup bent winners cup
  • Options
    Loving the Mendonca/Taylor hybrid pic, saving it to send to my handful of Mackem mates.
  • Options
    Their smallest crowd of the season was bigger than our largest crowd of the season.
    their average home attendance for the season will have been more than double ours 
    their average away following was 2,681ours was 984 

they owe us for 1998 the greatest ever game and the footballing gods will repay them back , nothing will ever equal or better that .

we will lose , it’s only fair , don’t be greedy 

Not a question of being 'fair' or being 'greedy' - it's the ramifications of not getting promoted that worry me. When we were 3-1 down on Friday night my boy said to 'take a look at the ground, if we lose now you probably won't see another crowd like this here in your lifetime' fortunately he was proved wrong, but you can perhaps see the point I'm trying to make. Promotion and who knows. stay where we are and not only will we lose those players on loan, but the Mad Belgian will sell off the remaining decent players and replace them with kids and loanees - and you can bet your life Bowyer, JJ etc. won't hang around.  And he still wont be able to sell the club. And the only way then is down. Sorry to piss on people's frites.
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    Their smallest crowd of the season was bigger than our largest crowd of the season.
    their average home attendance for the season will have been more than double ours 

they owe us for 1998 the greatest ever game and the footballing gods will repay them back , nothing will ever equal or better that .

Not a question of being 'fair' or being 'greedy' - it's the ramifications of not getting promoted that worry me. When we were 3-1 down on Friday night my boy said to 'take a look at the ground, if we lose now you probably won't see another crowd like this here in your lifetime' fortunately he was proved wrong, but you can perhaps see the point I'm trying to make. Promotion and who knows. stay where we are and not only will we lose those players on loan, but the Mad Belgian will sell off the remaining decent players and replace them with kids and loanees - and you can bet your life Bowyer, JJ etc. won't hang around.  And he still wont be able to sell the club. And the only way then is down. Sorry to piss on people's frites.

That could certainly be the case even if we do get promoted!!! I see no reason why he would suddenly start spending money if we go up
  • Options
    addick05 said:

That could certainly be the case even if we do get promoted!!! I see no reason why he would suddenly start spending money if we go up

Exactly. That's why Roland needs to sell the club. Preferably as soon as possible to give the new owners a few weeks to sort out contracts and bring in fresh bodies, but I won't be holding my breath.
  • Options

Have to dig mine out - at least I can still get into it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    addick05 said:

Sorry but that's well OTT, things can turn around quickly for clubs. Luton plunged down into non league, now they're back in the Championship. Swansea just avoided relegation out of the league, a few years later they were in the PL and winning the League Cup.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Sorry but that's well OTT, things can turn around quickly for clubs. Luton plunged down into non league, now they're back in the Championship. Swansea just avoided relegation out of the league, a few years later they were in the PL and winning the League Cup.

Of course the fortunes of any club can turn. However, I still maintain that ours will not while Roland is still running Charlton. Am I alone in believing this?
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    addick05 said:

Of course the fortunes of any club can turn. However, I still maintain that ours will not while Roland is still running Charlton. Am I alone in believing this?
    No, you're not.  But still, I'd rather be Shitweaseled in The Championship than Shitweaseled in League One...
  • Options
    If Shitweaseled at all, that is!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Charlton haven't lost at home and then lost the following game this season
  • Options
    Charlton haven't lost at home and then lost the following game this season

Wish you hadn't posted that!!!!!
  • Options
    Tranmere finished in the 3rd Play-Off spot and got promoted (I say that because League Two is 4th to 7th rather than 3rd to 6th

Both Sunderland and Aston Villa (who also finished in that position) cant both be promoted now, at least one has to miss out

After all three teams finishing in the exact same Play-Off spots in the Championship | League One | League Two have never all been promoted...
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    addick05 said:

But Roland won't own us for the rest of our lifetimes. At some point he will sell us, it might be next week, next month, next year or 2022 but he will go eventually. 
  • Options
    Bradford are the last team that I can remember who played twice at Wembley in a single EFL season, lost the first time but won the second

Shrewsbury played at Wembley twice last season and lost both times to Lincoln and Rotherham

Sunderland haven't won in their last three visits to Wembley (1990 and 1998 in the Play-Offs and 2019 in the EFL Trophy)
    Lost their last 6 in a row at Wembley.
  • Options
    Bradford are the last team that I can remember who played twice at Wembley in a single EFL season, lost the first time but won the second

Shrewsbury played at Wembley twice last season and lost both times to Lincoln and Rotherham

Sunderland haven't won in their last three visits to Wembley (1990 and 1998 in the Play-Offs and 2019 in the EFL Trophy)
    Seven actually... 1985 | 1990 | 1992 | 1997 | 1998 | 2014 | 2019
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pro

Previous last time I moved house was in early 2011. The first full season was 11/12 League One winners.

I moved house Feb last year. This happens to be the first full season in my current house. Promotion to come again? 
    It's happened again! 

Previous house move early 2011. Promoted first full season 11/12

Moved house Feb last year and promotion sealed once more first full season after! 

• Options

1988 they lost in a 40 minute match after penalties in a Mercantile Credit Centenary match immediate sudden death penalties  (I don’t remember this one at all just seen on Wiki) don’t think there was a 1997 one ...
    but 7 Wembley losses on the spin for em now 

• Options

1988 they lost in a 40 minute match after penalties in a Mercantile Credit Centenary match immediate sudden death penalties  (I don’t remember this one at all just seen on Wiki) don’t think there was a 1997 one ...
    but 7 Wembley losses on the spin for em now 

Yeah dont know why I put 97 in there for them

That would have been Newcastle @ Wembley not them