Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Time to say goodbye? .

I started taking my nephew to watch Charlton when he was six years old some 13 years ago now. I took custody of him when he was only 2 years old after my sister died in a tragic accident. My golden egg was always to get that special day out at Wembley which we had last Sunday. I genuinely feel that I will never eclipse the feeling and enjoyment of the day we had and therefore have said that I will use this as my last ever attended game. I will always support and follow Charlton but would be interested in your thoughts please. 

Comments

• I get the feeling was amazing, but struggle to see why that would mean you stop attending now, as others have said this could be the start of something amazing
  • No, you possibly won't beat that day. Absolutely do not use that game as a litmuss strip as to whether or not you should or should not support a club

There will be a lot of reverses at places like Barnsley or Port Vale to be suffered before we even consider an occasion like that again 

• When you share a football club you share the highs and the lows. You are in it together. What does your nephew think of your plan? Also, although Sunday was indeed a high point, I don't think it's the limit to LB's ambitions. We have further to progress - you don't want to miss that, do you? You've made an emotional decision at an emotional time - at least wait until the dust has settled, and who knows, if new owners soon appear so much the better reason to continue what has been a major factor in your lives.

Good luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• This win didn't top 98 but it was still amazing and there could be more, why stop now? 
  • Don’t give up yet....some of us never will.
  • Absolutely not. Leave that type of philosophy to arty French movies, just because you've had one glorious moment it doesn't follow that you should end it there.

Life is full of ups and downs, and sometimes it's the downs which make the ups even more special. When we're next back at Wembley in 10/20/30 years time it'll be just as glorious as Sunday was.
  • Doesn’t make sense. 
  • I think you are looking far too deeply into things mate. 

You may may never top that day, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have hundreds of enjoyable ones in the future. 

Being fan of a football club is not a computer game or a Rubik cube. You can’t ‘complete it’. It’s a life journey filled with highs and lows. 

Thomas would beg to differ.
  • I think you are looking far too deeply into things mate. 

You may may never top that day, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have hundreds of enjoyable ones in the future. 

Being fan of a football club is not a computer game or a Rubik cube. You can’t ‘complete it’. It’s a life journey filled with highs and lows. 
    A very good post 
  • I never thought i would surpass 98 .. if I'd quit then  I'd have missed 19.  You never know what and when the highs will be.  Sunday made all the on and off field lows worthwhile but there have been other highs i would not want to miss if repeated

CAFC 3 Man U 3
    CAFC 4 Chelsea 2
    CAFC Powell promotion
    CAFC Riga save from relegation
    Friends and banter at games 
    Prematch drinks in The RHA

Its more than one glorious game ... its life
  • MrLargo said:
    Madness. At least wait until you've witnessed our first league double over Millwall in a quarter of a century next season and the 6-0 thrashing of newly-relegated Palace at Selhurst the season after.
    You don’t fancy us for promotion then?
    You’re so damned negative 😉
  • Can't put it any better than @AFKABartram has already put it but if supporting a team was constantly winning it would get incredibly boring, couldn't think of anything worse than supporting Barcelona for example (listen to any Arsenal fan about 'how hard' it is supporting them as an example!). The hardships that we share were what made Sunday all the sweeter. Don't lose that special connection that you share with your Nephew!
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s not all about winning or hitting a peak point. It’s a journey. It’s like life. We might get to the FA Cup final. Palace have, Millwall have. Wigan won it!!! All in recent times. We might end up back in league 1, or worse. 

There are are still many great memories to be had along the way. I decided at 4pm to go to Wycombe back in April. It was a rush but we got there and what a great night in a pokey little ground. Not a great game by any standards but we got the win, great atmosphere and a memorable away day for me. I have great memories of games back in the 80’s. They stay with you forever. 

You don’t have to go every game but don’t just call it a day. If we are in the Championship playoff final in two years time are you going to rock up as a glory hunter? Trust me, if we win that it will probably eclipse Sunday’s game. You might not get a ticket if you have no loyalty points. 

• LMHR said:
    I’ve been going for 54yrs .  I Now take my grandson. I will be going all the time I can make it to my seat. I get emotional everytime I hear the “ red red robin”  . Done me like a kipper on Sunday .  Love the club and and so love the rare highs 
    Great post mate. Exactly how I feel. 
  • For clubs like ours,these moments are rare and that is what makes them so special.The supporters of clubs that regularly scoop the silverware,will never savour the ecstasy of a day like sunday,it was special as was our win in 98 and indeed the win at St, Andrews over Leeds.In spite of the behind the scenes problems,this club under the present management,is a pleasure to be part of,and with the many fine clubs coming to the Valley next season,I am sure you will witness some great football and will want to enjoy your visits to the Valley for many years to come.
  • I have had many days at Charlton when I think it can't get any better and many more when I wish it had been better. 

What a wonderful game and we are lucky to support such a special team.

Keep going and I'm sure you will wish you had stopped............then another special day comes along and well, you get the picture.
  • tajaddick said:
    I started taking my nephew to watch Charlton when he was six years old some 13 years ago now. I took custody of him when he was only 2 years old after my sister died in a tragic accident. My golden egg was always to get that special day out at Wembley which we had last Sunday. I genuinely feel that I will never eclipse the feeling and enjoyment of the day we had and therefore have said that I will use this as my last ever attended game. I will always support and follow Charlton but would be interested in your thoughts please. 
    Keep going mate, with this manager we could have even better times around the corner. 
  • If you got as far as Monday morning without that nagging, gnawing know it your stomach, then it's time to call it quits. 

That feeling - the one that eats away at you - is the feeling you get when you know there's something to look forward to.  No matter what happened yesterday, last week, last month or last season, there's something better to look forward to.  

It grabs you in the guts and it doesn't let go.  It stays with you.  Because, even on the morning after a spectacular day at Wembley for a Play-off final, you can't help but think what it might be like if we get there again.  

If we get there in the League Cup.  If we get there in the FA Cup.  If we get there in the Premier League promotion game again.  And you realise that, however good the build-up to this weekend's trip to Wembley was, there's always the possibility that there's another one around the corner.  

My Dad went to the FA Cup Final in 1946.  And he told me decades later that he couldn't wait for another chance.  For him, that came around a year later.  In March 1987, I got my first taste of Charlton at Wembley.  But, for me - and thousands of others - it was a long, 12-year wait for the next trip.  And 21 years until the next one. 

But during every one of those years there was the nagging, gnawing knot and the question that accompanies it: what is it going to be like next time? 

It started again for me on Monday morning.  I am looking forward to the next trip - whenever that is.  I hope you are.  And I am absolutely certain your son is, too. 
  • After the 47 Cup Final our crowds plummeted. Obviously this feeling isn’t new.

• Is the scenario that he's now old enough, or maybe prefers, going with his mates? So you perceive this is a good time for him to crack on and for you to 'step aside'?
  • The key thing about being able to see out the bad times at football is the people you go with - if you enjoy their company and don't rely on the football to have a good time, when it is good, then it's a massive a bonus. Without that, it must be hard to carry on when things are really dire.