Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Time to say goodbye? .

13»

Comments

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Don't give up, you never know what will happen.

Started supporting Charlton in the late sixties, average second division team went down to the third a couple of times.

Never thought I'd see them in the top division but Lennie got us there and we stayed for four seasons.

Got relegated and thought that would be it. We pottered around not doing much for a few seasons then Curbs got us promoted on an epic Bank Holiday at Wembley.

Reached a respectable level in the Premier League and then got relegated and its been a rocky road since. 

Powell getting us out of League one was a great season followed by a good one in the Championship.

Then it went wrong again but now we're promoted again.

Who knows where we go from here but there will be highs and lows.

When we left the Valley I couldn't see us going back but we did.

Savour the highs like Sunday they are not too frequent supporting our team but stick with them.

I could have written the same. Very much my story also, mate.

• Options
    Talking to some Sunderland supporters before the game as we walked together down Wembley  way.
    "You've been through the mill like us" I said.
    "Why can't we be glory seekers and support Man United or Liverpool"? I asked them.
     One of the group of four said.
    "Man United fans are suicidal because they have finished sixth in the prem".
    "They need a couple of relegation's to really experience the lows". He added.
    I watched as 38000 delirious Charlton fans celebrated our victory and wondered if the fans of Liverpool or Man United would ever reach those dizzy heights of pure joy.
    I've supported Charlton for over 55 years.
    Experienced the many years of lows and enjoyed the highs.
    I would not have it any other way.

The lows make the highs better.  When your low is 6th in one of the best leagues in the world you will never experience the high we all had on Sunday.  The highs may be fewer for us but they stay in the memory bank forever.