Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Time to say goodbye? .

Comments

• Options
    You don't have to top that epic moment of Sunday to keep on enjoying football.  God knows the last few years have been miserable down at the Valley but there is always something that keeps me going.  My friends, my family, my favourite players, the chance of a half decent match.  I was just hate-watching the clueless Eurotrash Roland sent us at one point, but I still kept going.  Even watching Christophe LePoint stumble about and fall over was funny and bizarrely entertaining!  

The only situation to which I apply your logic is Millwall.  I always hated going there, and after the 2-0 win in the snow, I will never have to go there again!
  • Options
    You’ve got to take the kick in the bollocks now and again to fully appreciate the good times. And Charlton are the perfect club help out on life’s trials and jubilations. If hope Charlton never eclipsed Citeh’s achievements over the next ten years. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I probably won't regain my "9 times a night Rodders" glory days of years gone by...doesn't mean I'll give up on it completely . In fact I've even got quite content with just the 4 or 5 now and still manage to put in a shift even if it's not for the full 90 minutes and I have to get pulled off at half time.... so chin up and keep at it, plenty more good times ahead.
  • Options
    Sunday re-ignited my passion. It showed me that there are still a lot of us, and a lot of us with passion, and that the club does have a future.  The time to give up was four years back ... now is the time to fight harder than ever.
  • Options
    tajaddick said:
    I started taking my nephew to watch Charlton when he was six years old some 13 years ago now. I took custody of him when he was only 2 years old after my sister died in a tragic accident. My golden egg was always to get that special day out at Wembley which we had last Sunday. I genuinely feel that I will never eclipse the feeling and enjoyment of the day we had and therefore have said that I will use this as my last ever attended game. I will always support and follow Charlton but would be interested in your thoughts please. 
    My youngest daughter's first ever match was the 1998 play-off final at the age of 7.

Her second was Sittingbourne away the following pre season the sublime to the ridiculous but she still wanted to come.

She has come with me when she can ever since. University and working a long way from home or abroad means and has meant that she misses matches but she gets to her fair share when she can including Sunday and the home play-off semi final against Doncaster.  

It's an ongoing bond between us and I suspect it is a bond between you and your nephew too.

Football, in its way, is a metaphor for life in that you experience the good and the bad. The difference being that football is not as serious as you and your nephew sadly know only too well.

Let the dust settle, speak to him and make a decision later in the summer. It's an emotional time for all sorts of reasons but even more in your situation given what has happened.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I think your probably right.
    Call it a day.
    Theres always Bluewater.
  • Options
    You can not be serious?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    WSA said:
    You can not be serious?
    Well unless he is based in East London/Essex, then I would suggest Lakeside.
  • Options

One of the strangest posts I have ever read on here!

Just weird!

• Options
    FFS Lighten up the pair of you.
  • Options
    Keep going if you can.
  • Options
    Imagine if our journey continues to the Premier League? You will kick yourself that you missed a bigger moment with your boy
  • Options
    There are some strange people about.
  • Options
    After the 98 final, and after our first home game when we won 5-0 and another SuperClive hatrick that is the only time that thought came into my head about it can never get better than this and what a good time to stop. The thought lasted a minute.

We are Charlton till we die, that's what I signed up for. At Hull away 4 seasons ago I was the mad fool who started singing we gonna win 7-6 when we were 6-0 down after 80 minutes, Luckily Hull declared soon after their 6th goal !

We aren't a glamour club but CAFC are my club and yours and all the characters that make up Charlton Life and Sunday for me was as great a day as 98 when SuperClive scored the most skilful hat-trick ever seen at Wembley stadium old or new.

The Luton 3-1 match was my most enjoyable for years, the penalty shootout with Donny was the most tense, and the Final after the initial horror of the OG was the greatest climax of a Charlton match ever by scoring with 6 seconds to go.

Ups and downs to come, just like life but I can't opt out it too addictive.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    You have had that magical day, but the next one may be even better. To be fair, in many ways 98 was better, but my son wasn't born and I hadn't met my wife yet. I have always wished I could have shared that with them. It was fantastic sharing such a great day with them at last. But who can say that even next season won't give us an even better one!
  • Options
    Few unnecessary posts here. Looks pretty obvious the euphoria and emotion has triggered some difficult stuff. Deep breaths @tajaddick

• Options
    Go whilst you are physically able to, there will come a time when you can’t go, due to  poor health and you’ll miss being able to go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Few unnecessary posts here. Looks pretty obvious the euphoria and emotion has triggered some difficult stuff. Deep breaths @tajaddick

Exactly. Surprised at some posters comments but then not as surprised at certain others.
  • Options
    Emotions run very high after days like Sunday.... the last time i experienced that was 20 yrs ago, already mentioned by some. If i have to wait another 20 for something similar then so be it, i cant wait. Whatever happens next we dont know but nobody can ever take Sunday away from us....it'll always be there for YOU. Let things digest and settle down...in a few days/weeks you'll feel differently. Chin up, enjoy the good times and look forward to the next.... all the very best to you. Bring on the Championship...
  • Options
    The troughs make you appreciate the highs even more. My Arsenal friends seem to have a pretty dull time of it. I think they’re even slightly envious of Charlton in some ways, as ours is on ongoing football voyage of discovery, whereas they feel they’ve arrived, but there’s nothing much to shout about now they’re there. The Europa League just seems to be a major bore to them. 

Stick with it if you can!
  • Options
    Thankyou for your comments. Will take it all on board. 
  • Options
    Sorry if my previous post was insensitive/ out of place on this thread...didn't read the original post properly. 

Stick with it mate.  More good times to come.   
  • Options

Winning at Wembley will be nothing ..... compared to beating Millwall next season.

Then you'll know the true meaning of euphoria.

Isn't that right, Oohaah? :smile:

• Options
    Who knows what the future will bring, but with a new owner and Bowyer at the helm, promotion out of the 3rd division surely won't be the pinnacle. Promotion is great but is quite diluted by the fact its from the 3rd tier, we are back in the championship (what is really our level throughout history, and at least where we belong), and I take as much pleasure mixing it with bigger teams like Derby, Leeds, Forest than playing in a league with Fleetwood, Rochdale etc
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    IR94 said:
    Who knows what the future will bring, but with a new owner and Bowyer at the helm, promotion out of the 3rd division surely won't be the pinnacle. Promotion is great but is quite diluted by the fact its from the 3rd tier, we are back in the championship (what is really our level throughout history, and at least where we belong), and I take as much pleasure mixing it with bigger teams like Derby, Leeds, Forest than playing in a league with Fleetwood, Rochdale etc

Overall League positions since turning professional 1919/20 

• Seasons spent at Level 1 of the football league system: 26
    • Seasons spent at Level 2 of the football league system: 45
    • Seasons spent at Level 3 of the football league system: 19
    • Seasons spent at Level 4 of the football league system: 0
  • Options
    Don't give up, you never know what will happen.

Started supporting Charlton in the late sixties, average second division team went down to the third a couple of times.

Never thought I'd see them in the top division but Lennie got us there and we stayed for four seasons.

Got relegated and thought that would be it. We pottered around not doing much for a few seasons then Curbs got us promoted on an epic Bank Holiday at Wembley.

Reached a respectable level in the Premier League and then got relegated and its been a rocky road since. 

Powell getting us out of League one was a great season followed by a good one in the Championship.

Then it went wrong again but now we're promoted again.

Who knows where we go from here but there will be highs and lows.

When we left the Valley I couldn't see us going back but we did.

Savour the highs like Sunday they are not too frequent supporting our team but stick with them.

• Options
    My dad took me when I was 9-10 1955,I took my sons when they were even younger,I am now 75,wife 73,we met at Charlton (Stoke City 1962) My sons still go My wife and I consider going to the Valley the highlight of our life(yes i Know possibly a bit sad)Football and supporting your club forms special bonds ,you endure the crap days and seasons but embrace the good times,I had an uncle who told me from a very early age that every friend I Make in life will in some way be through sport whether watching or playing,he was right.Keep going mate you wont regret it.