Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London clubs

Comments

• Options
    Anything over 6 miles as the Crow flies from the City of London is not London to me...
    Using that logic Spurs are therefore not a London team
    I chose the city as we're much closer to there than Palace are.

Going by Trafalgar Square, we're only 0.5 miles closer...
    Where are you based @s@SE10Addick mate?
  • Options
    Anything over 6 miles as the Crow flies from the City of London is not London to me...
    I chose the city as we're much closer to there than Palace are.

Going by Trafalgar Square, we're only 0.5 miles closer...
    Where are you based @s@SE10Addick mate?
    Kent!
  • Options
    Oi Flash, here's one to blow your brain - Look up Where Surrey County Council are based........
  • Options
    BDL said:
    Oi Flash, here's one to blow your brain - Look up Where Surrey County Council are based........
    The County Hall is in Kingston upon Thames in .......... London
  • Options
    And in a roundabout way BDL you have helped me prove I'm right

https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/people-and-community/surrey-matters/community/county-hall-move
  • Options
    Damn! But it was in Surrey until the creation of Greater London, so HISTORICALLY Kingston was part of Surrey and is still referred to as Surrey, just like Teddington was in Middlesex (Which no longer exists as an authority).

So, being pedantic (like you Flashers), yes they are in Greater London but, historically, they are in their former counties.

I suspect that NW Kent will be engulfed by Greater London eventually. So Dartford will be in London, but I'll bet you will still say its in Kent ;-)
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    London Gatwick, 
    London Heathrow
    London Stansted 

and the most unique - London Luton ??? Wtf's that all about.

Spose you can't blame the home counties for wanting to be part of, what was, the greatest City in the World

• Options
    .....weren't Manston "London" an all?
  • Options
    Surrey play cricket at The Oval but that doesn't mean that anyone would seriously suggest that modern day Kennington isn't part of London!
  • Options
    London Gatwick, 
    London Heathrow
    London Stansted 

Spose you can't blame the home counties for wanting to be part of, what was, the greatest City in the World

Don't forget London Southend!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BDL said:
    Damn! But it was in Surrey until the creation of Greater London, so HISTORICALLY Kingston was part of Surrey and is still referred to as Surrey, just like Teddington was in Middlesex (Which no longer exists as an authority).

So, being pedantic (like you Flashers), yes they are in Greater London but, historically, they are in their former counties.

I suspect that NW Kent will be engulfed by Greater London eventually. So Dartford will be in London, but I'll bet you will still say its in Kent ;-)
    Charlton was once part of Kent.....

Sadly I think you are right and London will engulf Dartford etc - and given my stubbornness on this subject I will have to say I would then be living in London

BTW when first married we lived in Crayford and both my kids were born at Sidcup, so I did live in London once and my kids birth certificates say they were born in a London Borough 
  • Options
    Surrey play cricket at The Oval but that doesn't mean that anyone would seriously suggest that modern day Kennington isn't part of London!
    Don’t mention Surrey you’ll wake Blackpool 72 up.
  • Options
    London Gatwick, 
    London Heathrow
    London Stansted 

I think they are called 'London' to help overseas visitors - if Gatwick didn't have London in front of it people would less likely to be willing to land there and would want to go to Heathrow instead - Heathrow couldn't cope with the demand, hence why the satellite airports were built

well that's what I think 
  • Options
    It's mad to think that Kennington was once in Surrey 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    How did Welling do? 
    Did alright for a team in Kent.
    Welling in the London Borough of Bexley .....
    DA postcode
    This is the subject that just keeps on giving !!!

Post Office doesn't dictate what council an area is in

Its in the London Borough of Bexley - that means it's in a London Borough - just like Southwark, Tower Hamlets, Kensington etc etc etc

Its a fact - upsetting though it may be for some

• Options
    Type your commentBexley is in Kent 
  • Options
    Southwark and Deptford too. 

Looking at a map, the Isle of Dogs were once Middlesex!
  • Options

That has really fried my brain - I've always considered Middlesex to be a west of London area !!
  • Options
    London Gatwick, 
    London Heathrow
    London Stansted 

I think they are called 'London' to help overseas visitors - if Gatwick didn't have London in front of it people would less likely to be willing to land there and would want to go to Heathrow instead - Heathrow couldn't cope with the demand, hence why the satellite airports were built

well that's what I think 
    I think you're right mate, but the powers that be should give the traveller the benefit of doubt and trust they can use a map when booking flights in to southern England imo
  • Options

And, of course, North Woolwich was in Kent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And if your head was in a spin over this already, spin faster

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27140505
  • Options
    Arsenal have been a north London club longer than spurs have. True fact that. 
  • Options
    Can you explain that, given that Tottenham were formed in North London 31 years before Arsenal left Woolwich? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Can you explain that, given that Tottenham were formed in North London 31 years before Arsenal left Woolwich? 
    Tottenham was in Middlesex until 1965.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:
    Chizz said:
    The only Middlesex team to win the First Division? Chelsea were in the old London County when they won the title
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:
    Chizz said:
    This
  • Options
    said like a bitter closet Gooner.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Don’t mention Surrey you’ll wake Blackpool 72 up.
    To late.
    The oval home of South London's finest cricket club.
    Charlton and Surrey  for me.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    se9addick said:
    Croydon said:
    How did Welling do? 
    Did alright for a team in Kent.
    Welling in the London Borough of Bexley .....
    DA postcode
    This is the subject that just keeps on giving !!!

Post Office doesn't dictate what council an area is in

Its in the London Borough of Bexley - that means it's in a London Borough - just like Southwark, Tower Hamlets, Kensington etc etc etc

Its a fact - upsetting though it may be for some
    People from actual London know that anywhere with a DA postcode isn’t in London. 
    What's 'actual London' then ?
    SE, SW, W, E, NW etc etc
    Would you regard Royal Borough of Greenwich as being in London ?
    I would. SE if I'm not mistaken?
    Parts of Royal Borough of Greenwich have DA postcodes - can we agree that postcodes are a red herring on this matter now ?
    No.

Post Codes were designed to assist Royal Mail deliveries. Nothing whatsoever to do with fish!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    And West Ham got a new carpet!

And West ham not only got a new carpet but don't have to pay Andy Carroll 90K a week for laying on a medical couch anymore.  Good news for the sleazy 3, Dave, Dave and Lady muck.