Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Comments

• Riviera said:
    Bairstow has stopped participating in the football warm-ups since the  Sri Lanka tour where he got injured. 
    Lewis Page has followed suit...
    Gone way over my head! I guess he's a Charlton player?
  • I'm sorry - as much as Roy didn't hit it, his behaviour subsequently was awful
    Cheated out of a century in a world cup semi-final. 
    I fully support him
    And that behaviour is replicated every Saturday afternoon - which is why so many teams turn up without an umpire
    Crikey it wasn’t that bad ffs. 

Really? This isn't football
    What’s that got to do with the price of fish?
    He was, quite rightly, angry & he had his say before he walked. 
    Can’t see what’s so bad about that. 
    He’ll get fined & feck all will be said about the umpire. 
    The difference is that this sort of behaviour in disputing decisions is expected with football. It isn't with cricket but has crept into the game over the last 30 years or so to the extent that grass roots cricket cannot get people who are prepared to officiate.

But in this instance, he just questioned his decision before he walked. 
    Why would that put off people officiating at grass roots?

You are meant to walk when you are given out. Not dispute the decision or swear at the opposition for appealing. It is this action that causes issues. Because on a Saturday, if a batsman disputes a decision, he is then told by one of the opposition fielders to "just fxxx off, you've been given out". And then the umpire doesn't just have to umpire but try to stop all hell breaking lose.

Two things that happened today that at the club that my son plays for that serve as examples as proof of why grass roots struggle to get umpires even if at the highest club level in the county:

(1) At one of our matches our umpires was called a "cheat" a number of times by a number of the opposition at the end of the game for a decision he made. I cannot comment on the decision because I wasn't there but the one thing I can say, because I do know him very well, is that he is anything but a cheat. He is now considering giving up umpiring. Oh and we lost the game anyway so he clearly didn't do a very good job if engineering a victory was his intention.

(2) In my son's game our opposition, Sevenoaks Vine, turned up without an umpire. This was for a 2nd X1 game in the Kent League Premier Division. As it happened, our 2s are lucky to have two umpires who alternate and both were at the ground so we provided the umpires. Now if a club of the stature of the Vine cannot provide an umpire for their 2nd X1 that really is something to worry about. We suffered our first defeat of the season so "our" umpires clearly, once again, did a bad job!

99.9% of those people who criticise umpires have never had to do the job themselves. But if they did have to I would guarantee that they would make mistakes. Because all umpires do. 

• I'm sorry - as much as Roy didn't hit it, his behaviour subsequently was awful
    I fully support him
    And that behaviour is replicated every Saturday afternoon - which is why so many teams turn up without an umpire

The difference is that this sort of behaviour in disputing decisions is expected with football. It isn't with cricket but has crept into the game over the last 30 years or so to the extent that grass roots cricket cannot get people who are prepared to officiate.

You are meant to walk when you are given out. Not dispute the decision or swear at the opposition for appealing. It is this action that causes issues. Because on a Saturday, if a batsman disputes a decision, he is then told by one of the opposition fielders to "just fxxx off, you've been given out". And then the umpire doesn't just have to umpire but try to stop all hell breaking lose.

Two things that happened today that at the club that my son plays for that serve as examples as proof of why grass roots struggle to get umpires even if at the highest club level in the county:

(1) At one of our matches our umpires was called a "cheat" a number of times by a number of the opposition at the end of the game for a decision he made. I cannot comment on the decision because I wasn't there but the one thing I can say, because I do know him very well, is that he is anything but a cheat. He is now considering giving up umpiring. Oh and we lost the game anyway so he clearly didn't do a very good job if engineering a victory was his intention.

(2) In my son's game our opposition, Sevenoaks Vine, turned up without an umpire. This was for a 2nd X1 game in the Kent League Premier Division. As it happened, our 2s are lucky to have two umpires who alternate and both were at the ground so we provided the umpires. Now if a club of the stature of the Vine cannot provide an umpire for their 2nd X1 that really is something to worry about. We suffered our first defeat of the season so "our" umpires clearly, once again, did a bad job!

99.9% of those people who criticise umpires have never had to do the job themselves. But if they did have to I would guarantee that they would make mistakes. Because all umpires do. 

The exact same thing applies with local football and referees mate, slightly different in the referees are allocated games rather than the home team having to supply them but the nonsense abuse they get puts everyone off doing it. For thirty quid it isn't worth officiating just to stay in the game 
  • Carter said:
    I'm sorry - as much as Roy didn't hit it, his behaviour subsequently was awful
    I fully support him

The exact same thing applies with local football and referees mate, slightly different in the referees are allocated games rather than the home team having to supply them but the nonsense abuse they get puts everyone off doing it. For thirty quid it isn't worth officiating just to stay in the game 
    Totally agree - the only difference is that these umpires are volunteers and do it for nothing. Why give up your Saturdays for nothing just to be abused?
  • England will beat NZ today, comfortably. 
    I fully support him

Off topic.
  • edited July 2019
    Riviera said:
    England will beat NZ today, comfortably. 
    You’d like to think so but I warned my son that the miracle with the last minute injury time winner by the now PNE centre half meant we’d used up , probably,  all our good fortune for a while and that the final would be pay back and England would lose .
    Sharp as a tack he responded with “well hopefully a lot of Sunderland fans will get paid  back by England then“     Touché ! 
  • Flying back home to Lux via Heathrow this morning and weather at Heathrow is very overcast
  • Sky were just “live” at Lords and it was raining lightly but forecast is for it to clear .
    bowl first , skittle em for 180 and bop em off in 30 overs please 
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:
    England will beat NZ today, comfortably. 
    Are you more or less confident about this prediction than you were when you said Australia will win the World Cup?
  • Sky were just “live” at Lords and it was raining lightly but forecast is for it to clear .
    bowl first , skittle em for 180 and bop em off in 30 overs please 
    We have a 100% record bowling first in World Cup Finals!
  • It's really grim and overcast here, I'm happy for it to remain overcast but I will ne disappointed if the driest summer for a while decides today is a good day to rain
  • Absolute hammering it down here.

• Match delayed. 
  • Absolute hammering it down here.

Is the wind blowing towards Lord's from where you are, or can we relax a bit? 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Match delayed. 
    Who ever wins the toss must put the opposition in ?

• New Zealand win toss and bat. I can see why they have done that but looks decent for the bowlers. 
  • It may well be another good toss to lose. 
  • Got kiwis at 11/4 ....
  • Sponsored links:

• That’s odds not a score prediction
  • 10.45 and still empty seats.
     I guess the touts will drop the price at 11AM to 1k ?
  • It is rather amusing to see 11 fielders absolutely adamant that a batsman has nicked it and yet, when it comes to reviewing it, the group decision is to not to waste a review doing so.
  • And that is how to use the review.
  • thought that looked plum!

bit of pressure on him too, if NZ had wasted their review on Nicholls rather than one of their form players 
  • NZ openers have been shite all tournament, but now sods law today they've started well.
  • It’s tough Trying to follow this game, Kent and Jamie playing for England Lions. 

• bowl first , skittle em for 180 and bop em off in 30 overs please 
    One out of three ain't bad. 
  • And that review seemed to be about "We did it for you mate........"