Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Comments

• Bairstow should not be allowed to appeal again. 
    He appeals for everything when batting or keeping no matter how stupid the appeal is.
    If I was captain I would just tell him to bat and keep wicket but leave the appeals to others.

Wot, even when he is given out lbw off a big inside edge.?

• Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Roy could clearly be seen saying to Finch what are you doing. 
    Finch could have retracted his appeal  as he new Roy didn't touch the ball.
    Finch is as guilty as anyone if you ask me.
    Nope. When did you last see an Australian or English captain withdraw an appeal after a player has been given out?  Say, in the last 100 years. 
    Mike Denness, Port of Spain, 1974.
    Next question.
    Good try.  But I am sure you don't need me to explain why your answer is wrong. 
    Well I'm afraid I do as the answer to your question is 100% correct. 
  • Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Nope. When did you last see an Australian or English captain withdraw an appeal after a player has been given out?  Say, in the last 100 years. 
    Next question.
    Read it again.  I have full confidence you'll be able to work out why you were wrong.  
  • Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Next question.
    Read it again.  I have full confidence you'll be able to work out why you were wrong.  
    But I'm not wrong. You need to explain if you think I am. I answered your question correctly. I can do no more. 
  • Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Next question.
    But I'm not wrong. You need to explain if you think I am. I answered your question correctly. I can do no more. 
    Read the question again
  • Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Next question.
    Read the question again
    I have, time and again. Stop playing games and tell me how my answer is wrong.
     Have you been hit on the head again tonight? 
  • Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Next question.
    Read the question again
    He's going to suggest you didn't see it, bloke loves using semantics to win an argument rather than accepting he's wrong.
  • Let us know how you get on Oz.  Pubs in NZ are gearing up for Sunday’s match..
    Theres talk of NZ being world champions at cricket, rugby and netball.  Don’t mind so much about the rugby and netball but not the cricket thank you.
    Funnily enough all the aussies have quickly developed a kiwi accent!! 
    They don’t like it up em this lot, which only increases the pleasure I get from this. Fuck em! 
  • Always good to beat the aussies especially a big game like this.From the 2nd ball of the day we were in total control.Class bowling from all the bowlers especially Adil Rashid.He put in a great shift yesterday.Batting top notch again especially the openers.Roy and Bairstow make batting look so easy.Hope Jonnnys fit for sunday..Fielding was spot on aswell especially Ben Stokes.Well captained Captain Morgan.Not going to be easy sunday.New Zealand on their day can beat anyone so got to be professional about it like we were yesterday but think we can do it.BARMY ARMY BARMY ARMY!!
  • Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Next question.
    An official statement was issued to the media that England’s captain, Mike Denness had decided that “in the interest of cricket as a whole, and the future of this tour in particular, the appeal against the batsman is withdrawn.”
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    Final Will be free aired by Channel 4

Thank you Sky and Channel 4

I don't know whether this is a sky or ECB decision , but it's a decision that greatly benefits the cricket loving population of this country.  Something that I didn't think heads of major organisations were capable of taking into consideration.

Credit where it's due to them for that 
  • Brilliant brilliant brilliant stuffing them Aussies is what crickets all about !! 
    Well when we’re playing them at least .

Booked flight home from Mallorca for Saturday with eldest son ,  rejoin the troops Monday .

come on England , it’s coming home !! 

Now the boring stuff 

Roy can moan all he likes re that decision which was awful but he was at the other end when the plumbest of plumbs happened and he should have been all over bairstow and said no to his thoughts on the review , so he would still have had a review to use .

giving the umpire grief is not on , accept the decision , sometimes they go for you sometimes against 
    as Addick addict points out at youth level these kids do replicate it all , the sledging is there , the dissent etc 
    acceptance of pony decisions has to happen 
    all I ever drum in to my boys heads is thank the refs, umpires (no matter how bad they are) and coaches , there is no games without them .
    Too many times reffing or running line you get a comment from the divvy parents who all look the other way when asked will anyone ref or run the line and they all shut up when you offer them the chance to do it if you’re so bad .
    Not so much grief umpiring kids but there is quite often  a strop for an lbw 
  • Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Next question.
    Read the question again
    He's going to suggest you didn't see it, bloke loves using semantics to win an argument rather than accepting he's wrong.
    Mike Denness England captain was Scottish I think that's the point
  • Loved it, watched most of it and we were awesome! That run out from Buttler was class

Roy quality, wrongfully and laughable the challenge with Barstow. Other then that couldn't complaint, awesome bowling and all round performance. Get in!

• Final Will be free aired by Channel 4

Thank you Sky and Channel 4

I don't know whether this is a sky or ECB decision , but it's a decision that greatly benefits the cricket loving population of this country.  Something that I didn't think heads of major organisations were capable of taking into consideration.

Credit where it's due to them for that 
    it is sky - ECB cannot make them show it for free.
  • Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Next question.
    Read the question again
    So still ridiculous nitpicking.
  • Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Next question.
    Read the question again
    The prize goes to @JohnnyJoeyDeeDee - Mike Denness was, of course, neither Australian nor English.  And the point was to illustrate to @blackpool72 how vanishingly rare it is for a captain to withdraw an appeal after the fact.  The Port of Spain debacle was one example and MS Dhoni withdrawing his appeal for a run out against Ian Bell at Trent Bridge in 2011.  The latter incident was one in which former England captains Nasser Hussain and  Michael Vaughan both agreed that they would also have appealed.  In both these examples, the umpire's correct decision was overturned during a break in play.  

There are probably other examples of umpires' decisions being overturned, but I can't think of any (can anyone else?).  But I think there are probably many more cases where a player, knowing a decision is wrong, has decided not to advise the umpire to change his mind (Broad clipping a ball into and out of the wicketkeeper's hands, watching the slip catch it and resting on his bat as the umpire called "not out"; Atherton's "when in Rome, dear boy"; almost every Australian batsman pre-Adam Gilchrist).  

So, I would absolve Arron Finch of any blame in yesterday's incident.  He wouldn't have had a better view than the umpire, so there is no way he should carry any responsibility to see an umpire's verdict being overturned in those circumstances.  

The good news is that we won.  And the icing is that Roy probably has even more motivation to make a hundred in the next game, by which time, all of this will have been (almost) forgotten. 
  • Good answer, Riv. 
  • Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Next question.
    Read the question again
    The prize goes to @JohnnyJoeyDeeDee - Mike Denness was, of course, neither Australian nor English.  And the point was to illustrate to @blackpool72 how vanishingly rare it is for a captain to withdraw an appeal after the fact.  The Port of Spain debacle was one example and MS Dhoni withdrawing his appeal for a run out against Ian Bell at Trent Bridge in 2011.  The latter incident was one in which former England captains Nasser Hussain and  Michael Vaughan both agreed that they would also have appealed.  In both these examples, the umpire's correct decision was overturned during a break in play.  

There are probably other examples of umpires' decisions being overturned, but I can't think of any (can anyone else?).  But I think there are probably many more cases where a player, knowing a decision is wrong, has decided not to advise the umpire to change his mind (Broad clipping a ball into and out of the wicketkeeper's hands, watching the slip catch it and resting on his bat as the umpire called "not out"; Atherton's "when in Rome, dear boy"; almost every Australian batsman pre-Adam Gilchrist).  

So, I would absolve Arron Finch of any blame in yesterday's incident.  He wouldn't have had a better view than the umpire, so there is no way he should carry any responsibility to see an umpire's verdict being overturned in those circumstances.  

The good news is that we won.  And the icing is that Roy probably has even more motivation to make a hundred in the next game, by which time, all of this will have been (almost) forgotten. 
    The bad news is Riviera correctly answered your question and not unexpectedly you didn't have the good grace to say well done.

I don't know why you think it makes you look good, because I'm confident that the vast majority of readers think the opposite. 
    Thanks for that.  I did say "good try" when he gave a good, but wrong, answer to the question I asked of @blackpool72

It's not meant to "make me look good"! I was merely contradicting a point Blackpool made.  I don't think any blame should be put on Arron Finch for not withdrawing his appeal, in part, because it's so very rare to do that.  Do you agree with me that blaming Finch for what was, in effect, a mistake made by the umpire and exacerbated by the England batsmen was not the right thing to do?  Or do you think Finch was culpable? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Next question.
    Read the question again

The bad news is Riviera correctly answered your question and not unexpectedly you didn't have the good grace to say well done.

I don't know why you think it makes you look good, because I'm confident that the vast majority of readers think the opposite. 
    Thanks for that.  I did say "good try" when he gave a good, but wrong, answer to the question I asked of @blackpool72

It's not meant to "make me look good"! I was merely contradicting a point Blackpool made.  I don't think any blame should be put on Arron Finch for not withdrawing his appeal, in part, because it's so very rare to do that.  Do you agree with me that blaming Finch for what was, in effect, a mistake made by the umpire and exacerbated by the England batsmen was not the right thing to do?  Or do you think Finch was culpable? 
    I don't wish to get drawn into your trolling. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Next question.
    Read the question again

I don't wish to get drawn into your trolling. 
    Nor I yours
  • perhaps the most famous withdrawn appeal .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFpSoRlpyMo
  • Will England be unchanged for the Final? 

The only doubt seems to be Bairstow.  His obvious replacement is Moeen Ali, who can tee-off with licence and could take the game away from NZ - especially in tandem with Roy - in ten overs.  Otherwise, the team picks itself.  Doesn't it? 
  • Chizz said:
    Will England be unchanged for the Final? 

The only doubt seems to be Bairstow.  His obvious replacement is Moeen Ali, who can tee-off with licence and could take the game away from NZ - especially in tandem with Roy - in ten overs.  Otherwise, the team picks itself.  Doesn't it? 

The way Ali has played, I doubt him tee-ing off with license will lead to anything but taking the game away but quite simply us 1 down quite quickly.....
  • I’d probably take Vince over Ali at the top.

Thats saying something.
  • supaclive said:
    Chizz said:

The way Ali has played, I doubt him tee-ing off with license will lead to anything but taking the game away but quite simply us 1 down quite quickly.....
    Assuming everyone's fit, I imagine England will be unchanged.  But if Bairstow is crocked, who would you replace him with?  

I think they're likely to go down the Moeen Ali route.  The alternative is to bump Buttler up to open, and backfill with Vince.  I think Vince opening in Bairstow's place would be handing too much advantage to NZ.
  • I would go with Moeen, if Bairstow is unfit, first ten overs only 2 fielders outside the circle, Moeen would tee off with Jason, if it comes off great if not Root is in excellent form, Moeen also gives you the extra bowler
  • Chizz said:

I'd rather risk a 70% fit Bairstow than either of Moeen or Vince to be honest