Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Comments

• Laddick01 said:
    I would let Jason Roy do bad things to me.
    I'd let him tonk my bowling all over the shop, if you know what I'm saying.

Because I am prone to bowling filthy leg side half trackers.
  • Well, crickets review system works well then !!

Said it before - Its supposed to rule out the howlers. Needs reviewing (pun definitely intended). Just imagine if it was a tight game & that happened.

It's Bairstow's fault for wasting the review.
  • I'm sorry - as much as Roy didn't hit it, his behaviour subsequently was awful
    Cheated out of a century in a world cup semi-final. 
    I fully support him
    And that behaviour is replicated every Saturday afternoon - which is why so many teams turn up without an umpire
  • I'm sorry - as much as Roy didn't hit it, his behaviour subsequently was awful
    I fully support him
    And we know you support him - he plays for Surrey!
  • Annoyed by how quickly the commentators have moved on the Roy dismissal. He wasn't out!
  • What did Roy do as a reaction, seen people on twitter saying it was terrible and he could be banned for the final because of it
    I fully support him
    And that behaviour is replicated every Saturday afternoon - which is why so many teams turn up without an umpire
    Crikey it wasn’t that bad ffs. 

• Hopefully just a big fine and warning about future behaviour rather than a ban
  • What did Roy do as a reaction, seen people on twitter saying it was terrible and he could be banned for the final because of it
    I reckon the only people wanting a ban are New Zealanders...

He stood his ground telling the umps that he hadn't hit it despite not having a review and then reluctantly walked off.
  • Bairstow wasting that review was absolutely absurd.....hitting middle two thirds of the way up!
    That’s why I don’t like Bairstow as wicket keeper in the test team,  he appeals for everything.
  • Sponsored links:

I fully support him

Really? This isn't football

Said it before - Its supposed to rule out the howlers. Needs reviewing (pun definitely intended). Just imagine if it was a tight game & that happened.

Shite review but Bairstow would have asked Roy's opinion.
    I fully support him

What’s that got to do with the price of fish?
    He was, quite rightly, angry & he had his say before he walked. 
    Can’t see what’s so bad about that. 
    He’ll get fined & feck all will be said about the umpire. 

To be fair though, the main fault is with the umpire for giving such a shocking decision!
  • Off_it said:

Well, crickets review system works well then !!

To be fair though, the main fault is with the umpire for giving such a shocking decision!
    Exactly 
  • Anyone catch what Roy just said. My lip reading isn’t good but he doesn’t seem happy haha
    I fully support him
    Me too. 
    Same here.
  • Cricket owes much of its appeal and enjoyment to the fact that it should be played not only according to the Laws, but also within the Spirit of Cricket.  The major responsibility for ensuring fair play rests with the captains, but extends to all players, match officials and, especially in junior cricket, teachers, coaches and parents.

Respect is central to the Spirit of Cricket.

Respect your captain, team-mates, opponents and the authority of the umpires.

Play hard and play fair.

Accept the umpire’s decision.

Create a positive atmosphere by your own conduct, and encourage others to do likewise.

Show self-discipline, even when things go against you.

Congratulate the opposition on their successes, and enjoy those of your own team.

Thank the officials and your opposition at the end of the match, whatever the result.

Cricket is an exciting game that encourages leadership, friendship and teamwork, which brings together people from different nationalities, cultures and religions, especially when played within the Spirit of Cricket.

I totally understand that, but that doesn't help Roy. Imagine if the umpire was having a shocker & gave 2 or 3 really bad decisions. Once you've run out of reviews you've run out of reviews. I've said before, there should be unlimited reviews but a penalty for a frivolous or wrong one. Maybe having 10 runs taken off your score (or added to the batting side if your the bowling side) might dissuade a captain from just making a challenge because they have a review left.  

As it was said when Reviews came in - if they had had then in Boycotts era he would have used them up with the first few overs & no-one else would have got a look in.

• Sponsored links:

• edited July 2019
    Haven’t been helped by the umpires much today. I know the Stoinis one was lucky but have lost a few on umpires call and then that.
  • Roy was not given out, out against India, today he was given out, not out against the Aussies.......... swings and roundabouts!
    I fully support him

The difference is that this sort of behaviour in disputing decisions is expected with football. It isn't with cricket but has crept into the game over the last 30 years or so to the extent that grass roots cricket cannot get people who are prepared to officiate.

• Roy could clearly be seen saying to Finch what are you doing. 
    Finch could have retracted his appeal  as he new Roy didn't touch the ball.
    Finch is as guilty as anyone if you ask me.
  • Bairstow wasted the review (maybe Roy was at fault for it as well)

Aussies did nothing wrong appealing for Roy's dismissal

The umpire made a mistake, but if England hadn't wasted the review it would have been reversed

Not seen the incident, but I assume Roy will receive a demerit point(s). I don't think he's on the cusp of a ban?

• PaddyP17 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    I would let Jason Roy do bad things to me.
    I'd let him tonk my bowling all over the shop, if you know what I'm saying.

Because I am prone to bowling filthy leg side half trackers.
    Would you let him stroke you through the covers.
  • Roy could clearly be seen saying to Finch what are you doing. 
    Finch could have retracted his appeal  as he new Roy didn't touch the ball.
    Finch is as guilty as anyone if you ask me.
    Nope. When did you last see an Australian or English captain withdraw an appeal after a player has been given out?  Say, in the last 100 years. 
    I fully support him
    And we know you support him - he plays for Surrey!
    Ridiculous comment. 
    I support every England player regardless of which county they play for. 
    I fully support him

The difference is that this sort of behaviour in disputing decisions is expected with football. It isn't with cricket but has crept into the game over the last 30 years or so to the extent that grass roots cricket cannot get people who are prepared to officiate.

But in this instance, he just questioned his decision before he walked. 
    Why would that put off people officiating at grass roots?

• I feel gutted for Roy. From the first over to the shocking decision he was brilliant.

This feels a real anti climax despite the fact that we should still cruise in.