Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Comments

• Final Will be free aired by Channel 4

Thank you Sky and Channel 4

• England v New Zealand in the final. 
    Predicted on the 6th of July.

I thank you. 
    Posted on the England thread on the 28th May as my selections, having backed them at 9/4 and 12/1 respectively to win it
  • Channel 4 are going to show the cricket til 1.15pm on Sunday, then cut to the F1 Grand Prix with the cricket going to More 4, before returning to Lord's coverage after the race

• edited July 2019
    Any spares for Sunday?? 
  • Great performance England, Woakes and Archer excellent with the new ball, Rashid far and away his best bowling of the tournament and the support bowling and fielding very good.

I love Jason Roy he has that swagger when he comes to the wicket a brilliant performance from him and I think Roy and Bairstow are the best opening partnership in the world in one day cricket, I would even think of trying them in the ashes and bring Foakes in as wicketkeeeper

• England v New Zealand in the final. 
    Predicted on the 6th of July.

I thank you. 
    Posted on the England thread on the 28th May as my selections, having backed them at 9/4 and 12/1 respectively to win it
    At last we agree on something. 
  • What a crazy day Sunday will be. Cricket on TV, Wimbledon on my tablet!
  • Great performance England, Woakes and Archer excellent with the new ball, Rashid far and away his best bowling of the tournament and the support bowling and fielding very good.

I love Jason Roy he has that swagger when he comes to the wicket a brilliant performance from him and I think Roy and Bairstow are the best opening partnership in the world in one day cricket, I would even think of trying them in the ashes and bring Foakes in as wicketkeeeper

Everyone on TMS has been saying that Roy is very likely to open in the Ashes. The option as you say of opening with Bairstow and bringing in Foakes was also mentioned too
  • It's a strange one this.
    In 50 over cricket we have as good an opening partnership as absolutely anyone.
    In test matches with Root preferring to bat at four our top three is our weakness. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't care if we win. We  beat Australia.

• iainment said:
    I don't care if we win. We  beat Australia.

Incorrect................................................................we slaughtered Australia!
    You're not interested in the British Grand Prix then?  Hamilton was having a dig about the brilliant scheduling.
  • Yes. A great result. Come on England. 
  • Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Christ he’s actually made him bleed
    It's almost unbelievable that to think not that long ago cricketers never wore helmets. 
    That would have broken his jaw but for the helmet. 
    Helmets have, undoubtedly, saved a lot of serious injuries and, probably, death.  But I think it's also true to say that wearing a helmet makes you more likely to get hit.  Simply because the confidence you get from having a helmet makes you concentrate more on getting into line and enables you to free yourself from worrying about self-protection and to play more balls than otherwise.  Without a helmet, your natural self-preservation instinct kicks in and you do whatever you need to do, to avoid being hit. 

In my personal experience, I have been hit on the helmet many times, but only once - badly - while not wearing a helmet.  That particular trip to hospital, after top-edging a bouncer to the fine-leg boundary, via my eyebrow, wasn't much fun! 

You rarely see a match these days without someone getting hit on the head.  It's far more frequent than it was pre-helmet days. 
    Well that explains everything! I wish you told us earlier.

I feel a bit bad now....
    Hahahaha! That's very good! 

Don't worry.  As you can see I was properly protected in almost every case.  No permanent harm done.  

But, well done on your reply.  Very, very funny.  Great stuff.  

Obviously not quite as good as when @blackpool72 made exactly the same joke, six pages ago.  But well done, nonetheless. Top work. 
    You're not interested in the British Grand Prix then?  Hamilton was having a dig about the brilliant scheduling.
    I've rather lost interest in F1 in recent years, a combination of Sky pinching live coverage and the dominance of Mercedes and Hamilton. Nothing against Lewis, but him going for his 6th title is far less inspiring than when he went for his first, for example.

If there wasn't the clash with the other events, I would probably have watched it though
  • "Jason Roy has been fined 30 percent of the match fee after admitting the offence and sanction, with no formal hearing to take place. Two demerit points have been added to his disciplinary record. He won't face any suspension," ICC's official statement read
  • edited July 2019
    "Jason Roy has been fined 30 percent of the match fee after admitting the offence and sanction, with no formal hearing to take place. Two demerit points have been added to his disciplinary record. He won't face any suspension," ICC's official statement read
    Would have been a massive bummer if he has accumulated enough points to get a ban, but thankfully he wasn't at that level. Especially with the doubts about Bairstow
  • "Jason Roy has been fined 30 percent of the match fee after admitting the offence and sanction, with no formal hearing to take place. Two demerit points have been added to his disciplinary record. He won't face any suspension," ICC's official statement read
    Would have been a massive bummer if he has accumulated enough points to get a ban, but thankfully he wasn't at that level. Especially with the doubts about Bairstow
    A three demerit point offence would have been a two match ban
  • Sponsored links:

A three demerit point offence would have been a two match ban
    https://www.icc-cricket.com/about/cricket/rules-and-regulations/code-of-conduct

The ICC website has a list of offenders and what they did, e.g. a Hong Kong player Jamie Atkinson
    "After being given out Jamie shouted 'fuck off' which was directed towards the umpire"

• Chizz said:

Cricket owes much of its appeal and enjoyment to the fact that it should be played not only according to the Laws, but also within the Spirit of Cricket.  The major responsibility for ensuring fair play rests with the captains, but extends to all players, match officials and, especially in junior cricket, teachers, coaches and parents.

Respect is central to the Spirit of Cricket.

Respect your captain, team-mates, opponents and the authority of the umpires.

Play hard and play fair.

Accept the umpire’s decision.

Create a positive atmosphere by your own conduct, and encourage others to do likewise.

Show self-discipline, even when things go against you.

Congratulate the opposition on their successes, and enjoy those of your own team.

Thank the officials and your opposition at the end of the match, whatever the result.

Cricket is an exciting game that encourages leadership, friendship and teamwork, which brings together people from different nationalities, cultures and religions, especially when played within the Spirit of Cricket.

We also ask that players refrain from sandpapering the ball and deliberately bowling wides.
    And underarm......Mr Chappell. !!
  • Great to smash the cheating Aussies.

Feel sorry for Roy, bloody awful decision by the umpire, but a worse one by Bairstow for reviewing his decision.
  • Chizz said:
    Roy could clearly be seen saying to Finch what are you doing. 
    Finch could have retracted his appeal  as he new Roy didn't touch the ball.
    Finch is as guilty as anyone if you ask me.
    Nope. When did you last see an Australian or English captain withdraw an appeal after a player has been given out?  Say, in the last 100 years. 
    Mike Denness, Port of Spain, 1974.
    Next question.
  • Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Laddick01 said:
    It's almost unbelievable that to think not that long ago cricketers never wore helmets. 
    Helmets have, undoubtedly, saved a lot of serious injuries and, probably, death.  But I think it's also true to say that wearing a helmet makes you more likely to get hit.  Simply because the confidence you get from having a helmet makes you concentrate more on getting into line and enables you to free yourself from worrying about self-protection and to play more balls than otherwise.  Without a helmet, your natural self-preservation instinct kicks in and you do whatever you need to do, to avoid being hit. 

In my personal experience, I have been hit on the helmet many times, but only once - badly - while not wearing a helmet.  That particular trip to hospital, after top-edging a bouncer to the fine-leg boundary, via my eyebrow, wasn't much fun! 

You rarely see a match these days without someone getting hit on the head.  It's far more frequent than it was pre-helmet days. 

I feel a bit bad now....

Don't worry.  As you can see I was properly protected in almost every case.  No permanent harm done.  

Obviously not quite as good as when @blackpool72 made exactly the same joke, six pages ago.  But well done, nonetheless. Top work. 
    My comment wasn't a joke. 
  • Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Roy could clearly be seen saying to Finch what are you doing. 
    Finch could have retracted his appeal  as he new Roy didn't touch the ball.
    Finch is as guilty as anyone if you ask me.
    Nope. When did you last see an Australian or English captain withdraw an appeal after a player has been given out?  Say, in the last 100 years. 
    Mike Denness, Port of Spain, 1974.
    Next question.
    Good try.  But I am sure you don't need me to explain why your answer is wrong. 
  • Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Riviera said:
    Chizz said:
    Laddick01 said:

I feel a bit bad now....

My comment wasn't a joke. 
    Oh, you were just being gratuitously unpleasant?  Well done.  In that case, it's even funnier. 
  • Let us know how you get on Oz.  Pubs in NZ are gearing up for Sunday’s match..
    Theres talk of NZ being world champions at cricket, rugby and netball.  Don’t mind so much about the rugby and netball but not the cricket thank you.
  • Had no idea of result whilst driving across South Africa,until I managed to get WiFi at Lanseria Airport.
    Get in.