Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The false hope of Wembley

1235»

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Winning at Wembley in the way we did was never going to be about what it meant for transfer activity etc. 

It was purely about seeing Charlton win at Wembley, in an incredible last minute moment - whatever happens/doesn’t happen next shouldn’t taint that moment at all.
    I watch the clip now and see Bauer score with his last ever touch for us from a cross by departed Cullen after a one-two with about to depart Aribo after a free-kick taken by unaffordable Johnny Williams after a foul on released Josh Parker. It does taint it for me just a little.
    Managed by somebody who normally would not be here after the outburst by the Belgian.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Winning at Wembley in the way we did was never going to be about what it meant for transfer activity etc. 

It was purely about seeing Charlton win at Wembley, in an incredible last minute moment - whatever happens/doesn’t happen next shouldn’t taint that moment at all.
    I watch the clip now and see Bauer score with his last ever touch for us from a cross by departed Cullen after a one-two with about to depart Aribo after a free-kick taken by unaffordable Johnny Williams after a foul on released Josh Parker. It does taint it for me just a little.
    Sounds pretty stark when you put it like that.
    Doesn't taint it for me, but already feels like a closed chapter.
    I think we all knew that Bowyer and Co had delivered a wonderful opportunity, whilst at the same time knowing this owner has the capacity to squander it.
    Time will tell, but without a takeover I'm sure the owner will continue to drive us down, unless Bowyer can deliver a miracle.
    Feel both anxious and impotent hoping for a takeover which needs to happen Now.
    Tick tock.

• Options
    The thing is calling it an exodus makes it sound like perhaps many of the squad have refused to play for us, demanded transfers and left.

The truth is Bauer has gone, Aribo looks like he's gone & Williams has probably gone.

Many of the others were on loan, so why does this seem a surprise to some ?

If the Premier League loanees are to return, it would be late in the window, as it is every year.

All the rest have gone because Bowyer, JJ & Gallen don't want them.
    Perhaps some fans would be happier if we had retained players that aren't even good enough for L1 ?

Bowyer & Gallen have got their work cut out and it will be very difficult, but they and the players are just about to return from holiday.

I'm content to see what they can achieve when they all return from their holidays.
    I don't see that as unreasonable.
    I agree with this although I do think we’re expecting a lot for them to repeat the business of last year with a smaller budget, tougher league and the fact it might just be difficult to actually do it again. However I don’t think we could have a better management team in place to attempt it.
  • Options
    The Wembley game will live in the memory for ever, despite there being no correlation with the coming season and no dovetail of League 1 to Championship.

Momentum will and has been squandered and the likelihood of starting the championship weaker than we finished League 1 is confirmed by the bookies who put us with Barnsley as favourites to return to the land of FA cup 1st rounds !

So much harder to bring a squad together in the champ because of the obvious wages issues. Gallen and Bowyer will just have to take a punt on players and loan signing with big question marks over their ability to step up. 

If any fans don't lower the bar of expectations this season they will do a Fosbury flop and find themselves falling into a sand pit of gravel.
  • Options
    I think we should be patient,yes,it is depressing to see good players leave,but Bowyer and his team will find replacements,they will get players in that have a point to prove,either on loan,or to previous clubs.Quite honestly if I was a premier league club,and had a player not yet up to the level,but with obvious potential(Cullen Bielik)I would certainly look at Charlton as a loan destination as we do give players game time,there are plenty out there.I also feel that this could be a great year for Morgan,Lapslie,and Djiksteel.
  • Options
    I think we should be patient,yes,it is depressing to see good players leave,but Bowyer and his team will find replacements,they will get players in that have a point to prove,either on loan,or to previous clubs.Quite honestly if I was a premier league club,and had a player not yet up to the level,but with obvious potential(Cullen Bielik)I would certainly look at Charlton as a loan destination as we do give players game time,there are plenty out there.I also feel that this could be a great year for Morgan,Lapslie,and Djiksteel.
    Well said, sir.

Some people seem to look at the remaining squad and believe that's how we'll line up in 6 weeks time.

Maybe they will be right, but no doubt we'll have added several players before then.
    Loanees from Prem clubs will have to be signed by 8 August, but expect some to be signed late on.

Bowyer & Co have a huge task and with that tiny budget, it's not going to be easy ..... but let's have a little faith in them that they know what's needed, despite old Duchatelet.

• Options
    And that's the point, in my view.

Everybody needs to give Bowyer and Gallen the opportunity to DO THEIR JOBS!
  • Options
    And that's the point, in my view.

Everybody needs to give Bowyer and Gallen the opportunity to DO THEIR JOBS!
    Yes... Roland Duchatelet does.