Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VAR - are you a fan?

Comments

• Options
    Lets all not pretend we didnt need VAR last night 😂
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Lets all not pretend we didnt need VAR last night 😂
    Would have been 0-0 and Derby reduced to 9 men. But we'd have still lost!
  • Options
    VAR is going nowhere, too much time and money has been spent on it now. 
  • Options
    Not sure how Southampton haven't had a penalty there against Spurs. Ball hits the hand, hand is away from the body but VAR say no penalty...
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2020
    VAR with marginal offsides needs looking at. VAR was supposed to be for clear or obvious errors and I support the general idea. VAR against Derby may have picked up the appalling red card challenge by Wisdom against Gallagher. VAR might cut out some of the professional cynical BS by Championship teams and would not be able to get away with that in the Premiership.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    VAR is going nowhere, too much time and money has been spent on it now. 
      If they stick with it they'll lose a shit load more, believe me
  • Options
    I hate VAR especially the ridiculous way it has been implemented in the PL. The game seems to be run by petty idiots.

The game is being ruined as a spectacle.
  • Options
    Get rid of the offside rule - stand where you like.  Keep the technology for goal/no goal decisions only.
  • Options
    How VAR didn't pick up that Mark Noble kicked the ground to trip himself up I'll never know. Never a pen in my book.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Another cracker today (well, yesterday) in the Villa game - who seemed to have suffered at VARs hands a lot more than most.

How they chalked out Grealish's header for an offside (milimetres) in an earlier phase of play was a joke. The defending team even cleared the ball after the alleged offence.

But it's not been mentioned on here because it's just becoming the norm now. It becomes boring keep saying something is shit all the time.

Bit like our defending.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    An obvious use of technology to improve the game of football and avoid gross errors, cheating and corrupt officials.

Unfortunately, implemented ineptly by a bunch of non-footballing bureaucrats who couldn't organise a death in a mortuary.

One VAR appeal per team per game, reviewed by ref on the field of play with fourth official, followed by  brief explanation of decision to the crowd and TV audience.

Would get rid of blatant cheating and gross errors which change the outcome of games but will only stop play for potential howlers.

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Another cracker today (well, yesterday) in the Villa game - who seemed to have suffered at VARs hands a lot more than most.

How they chalked out Grealish's header for an offside (milimetres) in an earlier phase of play was a joke. The defending team even cleared the ball after the alleged offence.

But it's not been mentioned on here because it's just becoming the norm now. It becomes boring keep saying something is shit all the time.

Bit like our defending.
    That Villa one was a joke. Problem isn’t the tech, it’s still the muppets interpreting it. There’s is no way the tech is sufficiently accurate to determine that the Villa players heal was so marginally “offside”. Is the camera definitely frozen at the exact moment the ball is struck? Is the line drawn on the pitch exactly 90 degrees to the touchlines? Are the touchlines perfectly straight and at exactly 90 degrees to the byline? Can the Villa player truly be expected to know if he is on or offside to that degree of accuracy? Answer to all those questions is no so why would we try and use it to that level of accuracy? All these disallowed goals is not really beneficial to the entertainment value of the sport. 

I’d make the offside lines drawn on the pictures 6” or a foot wide and if they overlap the attacker is deemed level. If there’s daylight between the lines they’re off. That’d build in some margin of error. 

I’m still in favour of giving the officials some assistance to give them a better chance of making the right call, but it’s being so badly misused I’m starting to think it should be scrapped. I suppose it was always asking too much to expect the people running football in this country to apply common sense. 
  • Options
    Starting to think? Lordy EA took you long enough. Was a farce from the off and nothing changed. Heel latest garbage decision. 
    Ultimately Sky coverage and the deliberate forensic focus on refs’ decisions to create controversy and fill air time has led to this. Chalk it up as another offence against supporters alongside fixture meddling, ludicrous kick off times and  Jim White
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Bit like our defending.

• Options
    Great intervention from VAR in the Watford v Wolves game, sorting out the red card, which was about as blatant as it could be 
  • Options
    I just think it should be like cricket/tennis etc that each team gets a review or 2 before the match, they use them when they want (offside or red card review etc) and lose/keep them depending on success of review. If one member of staff has a live monitor and watches the game on that alone they can have 10 seconds to press review if they arent happy. Team collective view so no one is to blame (like cricket whereby sometimes reviewed based upon bowler even though no one else thinks it's out).

The borderline offsides need to go full stop, basing it on a toe here or gelled hair there is ridiculous. 
  • Options
    Im not a fan of VAR if its not going to be used in all games in a competition

Said the same about it in the FA Cup last year too 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Im not a fan of VAR if its not going to be used in all games in a competition

Said the same about it in the FA Cup last year too 
    It does seem a bit odd, especially with replays where one match has VAR because it's held at a PL ground, and the other doesn't
  • Options
    Not every ground has goal line technology but it’s been used where it’s been available in the FA Cup for the last 4 or 5 years. If it’s there use it 
  • Options
    I just think it should be like cricket/tennis etc that each team gets a review or 2 before the match, they use them when they want (offside or red card review etc) and lose/keep them depending on success of review. If one member of staff has a live monitor and watches the game on that alone they can have 10 seconds to press review if they arent happy. Team collective view so no one is to blame (like cricket whereby sometimes reviewed based upon bowler even though no one else thinks it's out).

The borderline offsides need to go full stop, basing it on a toe here or gelled hair there is ridiculous. 
    100% agree, ive always thought, give the captains 3 calls each only. Only the captain can decide what gets reviewed!  

Then the onous is on the team making the call And the captains teammates who have to be honest. 
  • Options
    Probably lots of flaws in that tho!
  • Options
    As much as I wanna see West Ham go down so we get to play them next year, they have been absolutely robbed of a point today. Defender heads the ball onto your hand, what the hell are you supposed to do?!?! Letter of the law, blah blah blah, horrendous decision
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    As much as I wanna see West Ham go down so we get to play them next year, they have been absolutely robbed of a point today. Defender heads the ball onto your hand, what the hell are you supposed to do?!?! Letter of the law, blah blah blah, horrendous decision
    Correct decision but horrendous law.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Correct decision but horrendous law.
    By the letter of the law, yes it is correct. Accidental handball should never have consequences like that, agreed that rule is absolute dogshite
  • Options
    Agree, away fans go mental ( forget for a mo it’s WH) then that.

F that for football