Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VAR - are you a fan?

Comments

• Options
    Surely enough is enough!

Let's just say VAR has to run in real time. 

NO video replays allowed - just extra referee(s) watching on monitors who can communicate IMMEDIATELY to the ref if they see something obvious which he has missed. No need for or pauses or for fans to even know what's going on. 

(Maybe red card and simulation decisions could be reviewed but this can be done while the game is in progress and applied retrospectively).

• Options
    Scrap it end of.
  • Options
    Yeah I really don’t like it. We would of benefited from it recently but I wouldn’t swap it for the shit show currently going on in the premier league. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    But, again, it’s not VAR - it’s the rules. VAR is just highlighting how bad some of the rules are. 
    Agree 100%
    We need VAR to stop the Henry juggling act against the Irish but don't blame VAR for carrying out its remit.

Sort the rules out and especially the ridiculous  off sides, that are on side.
    Going into the world of subterranean measurements is insane. It's level it's on side, that rule is clear.

• Options
    if it's Liverpool, they always get the benefit of the doubt, especially at home .. any other club, they get no leeway whatsoever, especially away from home .. the handball call against West Ham last night was just ridiculous .. the on-field referee should always have the final say, not some nit picker sitting in a studio miles away from the action
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    VAR is not wanted in Premier League - West Ham's Declan Rice
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51071770
    From the Athletic

VAR not high on agenda for Premier League bosses 

Criticism of VAR may grow by the week but among those capable of influencing the situation in the Premier League, there is no appetite for the system to be suspended or scrapped. While executives from all 20 top-flight sides will gather in London for the next shareholders’ meeting on February 6, VAR does not currently feature as a significant item on the agenda.

The focus will be on issues such as the summer transfer window dates, which will be the subject of a vote, and VAR is set to be addressed only as a routine update. That will touch on how the technology is performing and the progress of a consultation with supporters and other relevant stakeholders over how its application can be improved.

VAR was used at all top-flight stadiums in the third round of the FA Cup this weekend, and referee Michael Oliver consulted a pitchside monitor in Sunday’s tie between Crystal Palace and Derby County before deciding to show Luka Milivojevic a red card. There are, though, still no plans to replicate that process in the Premier League. As this column has previously reported, officials maintain pitchside monitors should be used sparingly to save time. After seeing his captain sent off for a clash with Tom Huddlestone for which Oliver initially showed only a yellow card, Palace boss Roy Hodgson said. “If it’s going to be the referee’s decision on the field that counts, why do you bother with the VAR people sitting there in Stockley Park? Make up your mind.”

The Premier League shareholders’ meeting offers a chance to continue the discussion and gauge the feeling among clubs. However, no meaningful changes are likely to occur. So far, the sentiment of executives has not been to scale back VAR but improve it, and the Premier League is at the limit of its jurisdiction on this.

Furthermore, with Hawk-Eye (the company employed to measure offside decisions) already said to be maximising what it can do under the existing rules, there are major upgrades in the pipeline. The onus is now on football’s lawmakers, the International Football Association Board (IFAB), to consider alterations and more should become clear at its AGM in Belfast on February 29.

There is frustration within the Premier League that the organisation, its officials and the hub at Stockley Park have become the focus of growing anger in relation to VAR, when it is responsible only for implementing a set of protocols designed by IFAB and called for by the clubs.

It admits mistakes have been made around subjective decisions, like penalties and red cards, yet there are no regrets around offsides — despite that becoming the most contentious theme. The Premier League is aware that the forensic analysis used to determine some offside calls can lead to undesirable delays and controversial judgements formed on minuscule margins but it is bound by IFAB directives in this area and must use the technology available.

It, therefore, came as something of a surprise to the Premier League when IFAB general secretary Lukas Brud said last week that VAR should only be used to correct “clear and obvious” offside mistakes, which is not in line with its original guidance that offside is a factual matter.

One upside of VAR for Premier League referees is the blame it has shifted from them to the technology; it has been described by some as a welcome “comfort blanket”. There is, though, a drawback that some officials are not best pleased about: they are prevented from being appointed as a VAR if they are carrying an injury, which is bizarre considering the role requires them to work from a desk and means they miss out on receiving a fee.

Absolute farce. Also shows how out of touch the decision makers are with the fans. 
  • Options
    VAR type systems are used effectively in other ball sports. It can also be used in soccer if the rules of the game are adapted to the technology, for example the offside rule. The excuse that using Stockley Park saves time is not born out in practice and the decision should be remain with the on field referee.
    VAR is not the problem how it is used is the problem. However to use VAR for a few matches in the FA Cup is an unfair practice that should be stopped.
    The lack of interest being shown by the Premiership is not surprising as all that interests them is increasing their income, fans and how a match is viewed is not viewed by their greedy eyes.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Robert said:
    It’s in the rules that it’s only pulled up if it’s against the attacking team. Liverpool clearly are not the attacking team in either of those examples.
    Not true. VvD controlled it with his had, pinged a ball 50 years onto a strikers shoulder and they scored. The ref originally gave a handball against the striker and the goal was disallowed. Var reviewed it and as it hit his shoulder the goal stood. They didnt bother to check the play leading up to the goal where the ball also hit a hand. They gave some excuse about not having the right camera angles, but that's clearly not true. I dont think it's a handball. It was an accident, and in no way affected the outcome. However VAR is inconsistent. 

Not sure that it's clear and obvious handball when you watch this.

Seems to come off his chest to me. Clearly VERY different to the Rice incident last night.

But everyone is up in arms because it's Liverpool...........
  • Options
    B'Ford v QPR on tv now .. Watkins of the Bees is pushed/tripped in the area, stonewall pen that VAR MUST have given, ref waves play on .. 
  • Options
    B'Ford v QPR on tv now .. Watkins of the Bees is pushed/tripped in the area, stonewall pen that VAR MUST have given, ref waves play on .. 
    VAR isnt in the Championship...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    really? .. I never knew that lol .. I was just pointing out the discrepancy between the prem officiating and the champ ..
     here is a player's perspective .. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/premier-league/declan-rice-says-no-player-wants-var-in-the-game-after-disallowed-goal-costs-west-ham/ar-BBYQdzG?ocid=spartanntp

• Options
    oh dear...!
  • Options
    really? .. I never knew that lol .. I was just pointing out the discrepancy between the prem officiating and the champ ..
     here is a player's perspective .. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/premier-league/declan-rice-says-no-player-wants-var-in-the-game-after-disallowed-goal-costs-west-ham/ar-BBYQdzG?ocid=spartanntp

Yeah I wasnt sure whether to post my comment as wasnt sure if yours was serious or not - Ironically I did think about what Rice said about no players wanting VAR, yeah right... till a blatant decision goes against you
  • Options
    Think you may have missed the point of the tweet...
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Robert said:
    It’s in the rules that it’s only pulled up if it’s against the attacking team. Liverpool clearly are not the attacking team in either of those examples.
    Not true. VvD controlled it with his had, pinged a ball 50 years onto a strikers shoulder and they scored. The ref originally gave a handball against the striker and the goal was disallowed. Var reviewed it and as it hit his shoulder the goal stood. They didnt bother to check the play leading up to the goal where the ball also hit a hand. They gave some excuse about not having the right camera angles, but that's clearly not true. I dont think it's a handball. It was an accident, and in no way affected the outcome. However VAR is inconsistent. 

Not sure that it's clear and obvious handball when you watch this.

Seems to come off his chest to me. Clearly VERY different to the Rice incident last night.

But everyone is up in arms because it's Liverpool...........
    And your problem with that is...?  :D
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Think you may have missed the point of the tweet...
    Nope not in the slightest

Agreeing with Humphrey - One minute they're moaning about VAR yet cheering when it works, fans need to make their minds up if they want it as at the moment its something thats shit only when it goes against you
  • Options
    Not to me it's not. The "offside" Derby goal - no problem with that being given at all. I genuinely didn't give two hoots when the replay showed he was an inch in front of play.     
  • Options
    Not to me it's not. The "offside" Derby goal - no problem with that being given at all. I genuinely didn't give two hoots when the replay showed he was an inch in front of play.     
    What if that inch becomes the difference between staying up or not
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No - sorry mate. I just don't believe in it. I have always said, all or nothing. The famous Fulham throw in for example. I am not the only one who thought that decision changed the course of our season. VAR would not have even looked at it. You either check everything (which is impractical) or nothing. So it has to be nothing.   
    Cant argue with that to be honest
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    No - sorry mate. I just don't believe in it. I have always said, all or nothing. The famous Fulham throw in for example. I am not the only one who thought that decision changed the course of our season. VAR would not have even looked at it. You either check everything (which is impractical) or nothing. So it has to be nothing.   
    Really? I don’t think VAR checks everything in any sport, does it?

Its really weird this “yeah I know VAR shows he was offside, but it was only by a little bit”.
    I know change is scary, but we either play the game by the laws or we don’t, and VAR helps to make sure the laws are applied in the most crucial moments of the game. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Haven't read all the previous views on this so apologies if going over old ground but it's ruining spectator enjoyment IMO. Fans want to see goals, a toe offside is ludicrous make it clear daylight anyway and give the benefit of doubt to the attacking team. And don't get me started on the change to the handball law. Let the ref make his own mind up on contentious issues pitchside. I wouldn't think Clipity's Li-VAR-pool are complaining though 😏.
  • Options
    Can we just scrap VAR & go back to enjoying football again please
  • Options
    The infamous Fulham throw in made me feel embarrassed, because over a season you will have mistaked throws ins go for you and against you. Absolutely no correlation with a throw in and Thierry Henry juggling the ball in a play off game from memory which saw the Irish miss out on a tournament.

VAR isn't being used correctly in the Premier League; But to go back to bygone days when kevin Richardson brings down Andy Peake from behind and no penalty is given in front of the Charlton fans at Highbury would be such a retrograde step. The smile on Richardson's face is still etched on my memory.

I was at Highbury as a neutral(Cafc were away in North East) as a lad and an Arsenal out field player did a great save, tipping the ball over the bar with his hand. It was a sunny day and the ref and lino didn't see it. 
    I remember Rodney Marsh who got his big move to Man city going Ape.

Two blatant mistakes which must never be allowed to happen again. Without VAR (Which needs improving) shocking cock ups will happen which cost teams promotion or relegation. Cafc were relegated over 38 games, not because one mistaken line call went against them.

• Options
    It won't be long before games are stretched to 120 minutes because VAR will take longer because the commentators say during televised games "That's going to VAR - we'll be back after a short break" (adverts).
  • Options
    The infamous Fulham throw in made me feel embarrassed, because over a season you will have mistaked throws ins go for you and against you. Absolutely no correlation with a throw in and Thierry Henry juggling the ball in a play off game from memory which saw the Irish miss out on a tournament.

VAR isn't being used correctly in the Premier League; But to go back to bygone days when kevin Richardson brings down Andy Peake from behind and no penalty is given in front of the Charlton fans at Highbury would be such a retrograde step. The smile on Richardson's face is still etched on my memory.

I was at Highbury as a neutral(Cafc were away in North East) as a lad and an Arsenal out field player did a great save, tipping the ball over the bar with his hand. It was a sunny day and the ref and lino didn't see it. 
    I remember Rodney Marsh who got his big move to Man city going Ape.

Two blatant mistakes which must never be allowed to happen again. Without VAR (Which needs improving) shocking cock ups will happen which cost teams promotion or relegation. Cafc were relegated over 38 games, not because one mistaken line call went against them.

No need to be embarrassed, moments like that do change the course of a season, whatever you may think - we are all entitled to our opinion. 

You watch the game you want to watch, I would rather watch the one I have been watching for over forty years, even though I was also apoplectic that night at Highbury.   :)
  • Options
    I think it's fair to say that Algarve is "undecided" on this one.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I think it's fair to say that Algarve is "undecided" on this one.
     Need to go to VAR for the final decision.