Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VAR - are you a fan?

Comments

• Options
    Can't wait to see the top 4 get even more help thanks to large crowds and referees too scared to give a decision against them. 

The 90s and 00s were a glorious time of referee incompetence. 
  • Options
    Hawkeye have a record when they automate it works better and quicker, see Goal-line technology, which no sensible human would be against now. 

Same with this I would expect, if you can with tech speed up the decision making, and remove the human error of someone trying to draw a line pixel perfect as is done now, then it just fades into the background
  • Options
    I am waiting for just one ref to be asked to look at the video monitor and then stick with his original decision.

The Liverpool penalty the other week would have been perfect opportunity for the ref to go 'what are you talking about, my decision is fine, stop wasting our time'
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Hawkeye have a record when they automate it works better and quicker, see Goal-line technology, which no sensible human would be against now. 

Same with this I would expect, if you can with tech speed up the decision making, and remove the human error of someone trying to draw a line pixel perfect as is done now, then it just fades into the background
    This is an assumption too far.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I am waiting for just one ref to be asked to look at the video monitor and then stick with his original decision.

The Liverpool penalty the other week would have been perfect opportunity for the ref to go 'what are you talking about, my decision is fine, stop wasting our time'
    It happened a fair amount during the African Cup of Nations. 
    Was a pleasant surprise to see the ref review his decision and decided he made the right call to begin with. One game (a quarter final I think) the ref went to the monitor 3 times and kept his on field decision all 3 times - all good calls too
  • Options
    Being offside by a nipple or an elbow seems wrong.  I think it should be where the feet are too.

I think you cant be in the ones above, firstly the nipple is never going to happen but i get the example. The second one you cannot be offside with your hands/arms:

Rule- The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered. For the purposes of determining offside, the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit.
  • Options
    Think VAR has been far better this season. But refs continue to be poor. Make a decision and stand by it even if you review on the screen. Too many have changed their minds influenced by the whisper in their ear.

The offside VAR calls have I think, much improved BUT they have to change that rule about when the linno's flag goes up. Somebody is going to get seriously injured in a player on keeper clash and then everybody looks around to see the linno sheepishly sticking up his flag. So you can get badly injured in scoring or attempting to score a goal and your efforts don't count. Ridiculous.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I am in favour of VAR.
    VAR is good for checking the ball crossing the goal line, defining suspect penalties, dodgy offside decisions, bad tackles and cheating.
    It falls down when REFs get it wrong after viewing the evidence. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

It happened a fair amount during the African Cup of Nations. 
    Was a pleasant surprise to see the ref review his decision and decided he made the right call to begin with. One game (a quarter final I think) the ref went to the monitor 3 times and kept his on field decision all 3 times - all good calls too
    They weren't showing replays on his screen though. He was checking the in-play odds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am in favour of VAR.
    VAR is good for checking the ball crossing the goal line, defining suspect penalties, dodgy offside decisions, bad tackles and cheating.
    What does VAR stand for, if they are not part of it? 
  • Options
    I am in favour of VAR.
    What does VAR stand for, if they are not part of it? 
    Variably Accurate Refereeing
  • Options
    I’m a little confused.
    I’ve got the Burnley v Liverpool game on and Burnley just had an attack, but the linesman flagged and so the ref whistled before the move had played out. A replay was then shown and the offside call was dubious and certainly borderline (it would definitely need those VAR line things they use)

I was under the impression that the linos were told not to flag until the move has ended - and that’s why there are so many very late flags these days. That’s right isn’t it? Or has that changed?
  • Options
    They're playing Liverpool, rules go out the window. 
  • Options
    I’m a little confused.
    I’ve got the Burnley v Liverpool game on and Burnley just had an attack, but the linesman flagged and so the ref whistled before the move had played out. A replay was then shown and the offside call was dubious and certainly borderline (it would definitely need those VAR line things they use)

I was under the impression that the linos were told not to flag until the move has ended - and that’s why there are so many very late flags these days. That’s right isn’t it? Or has that changed?
    Its what Linesman are advised to do, but they can still make the call themselves

The moment they raise their flag... the decision stands
  • Options
    I’m a little confused.

Its what Linesman are advised to do, but they can still make the call themselves

Ah, right. That explains it. Seems a bit unfair though, as a Burnley player was about to shoot and the decision may well have been wrong.
    I guess that also reinforces what @SELR_addicks posted before you! 😂
  • Options
    I’m a little confused.

Ah, right. That explains it. Seems a bit unfair though, as a Burnley player was about to shoot and the decision may well have been wrong.
    I guess that also reinforces what @SELR_addicks posted before you! 😂
    He provided the rule in example terms, I went for the rule book approach ;)
  • Options
    I don’t know whether it’s just me but sometimes I think the var lines are done in a dodgy way. There’s no way to the naked eye that looked offside. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I don’t know whether it’s just me but sometimes I think the var lines are done in a dodgy way. There’s no way to the naked eye that looked offside. 
    I thought it was offside the moment I saw it... Presume you meant the Aston Villa goal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m a little confused.

Not strictly true - the ref still needs to blow his whistle and make the decision. The lino just indicates that he thinks it's offside for the ref to make the decision, same as they always did. However, refs ain't gonna ignore the flag, particular as it gives them a personal get out of jail card.
  • Options
    2 - 3 minutes in a game based on players having to keep going and apply pressure without stop for 45 minutes is a long time. This is not rugby or American football. Football is different. 15 seconds max keeps VAR within the spirit of the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Tifo Football - Could this technology solve offsides forever?

https://youtu.be/dlDHJxzb7nE
  • Options
    VAR will be introduced for the 2021-22 Championship play-off final at Wembley for the first time, the English Football League has confirmed.
    Meanwhile, the league say "discussions remain ongoing" over the use of VAR in the League One and League Two finals.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61429573
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options