Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VAR - are you a fan?

Comments

• Options
    Whatever your view on VAR, surely we can all agree that adding another layer of subjectivity to the process is not the answer?

Imagine FIFA came out tomorrow and said “protocol is changed effective immediately: VAR is now only there for clear and obvious errors”.

Not only does a video assistant referee now have to decide if a referee made an incorrect decision, they also have to decide if it was a clear & obvious mistake or not. 

That’s the most stupid decision process I think I’ve heard.

Imagine it’s the final of the Euros this summer, England vs Germany. 

It’s 1-1 with five minutes left and Grealish gets tripped in the box but the referee doesn’t award a penalty.

Replays show that Grealish was touched and a foul was committed, to everyone with a set of working eyes it should be a penalty. But the video assistant deems that it wasn’t a clear and obvious error by the referee because his view was blocked by another player. No penalty is awarded even though this is a perfect use case for VAR to help.
    If the video ref decided the ref’s view was blocked then he must conclude it was a clear and obvious error.
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    @SELR_addicks - I understand (and respect) your point of view, although I don’t agree with it.

Keen on understanding the following though:
    If we can totally eliminate every single error in football, would you support this?
    Let’s say that in 20 years time, advanced cameras/computers can spot all mistakes and can ref a game without human interaction - no need for a referee on the field. Would you support this?
    Danepak said:
    @SELR_addicks - I understand (and respect) your point of view, although I don’t agree with it.

If we can totally eliminate every single error in football, would you support this?
    Let’s say that in 20 years time, advanced cameras/computers can spot all mistakes and can ref a game without human interaction - no need for a referee on the field. Would you support this?
    If this was ever possible I would welcome it. I have never watched a match live or on TV where I have been remotely interested in the performance of the ref unless of course the ref has made glaring errors that don’t get corrected and affect the result.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Whatever your view on VAR, surely we can all agree that adding another layer of subjectivity to the process is not the answer?

Imagine FIFA came out tomorrow and said “protocol is changed effective immediately: VAR is now only there for clear and obvious errors”.

Not only does a video assistant referee now have to decide if a referee made an incorrect decision, they also have to decide if it was a clear & obvious mistake or not. 

That’s the most stupid decision process I think I’ve heard.

Imagine it’s the final of the Euros this summer, England vs Germany. 

It’s 1-1 with five minutes left and Grealish gets tripped in the box but the referee doesn’t award a penalty.

Replays show that Grealish was touched and a foul was committed, to everyone with a set of working eyes it should be a penalty. But the video assistant deems that it wasn’t a clear and obvious error by the referee because his view was blocked by another player. No penalty is awarded even though this is a perfect use case for VAR to help.
    Take that option away and let the ref ask the question like they do in rugby. If the ref is not sure then he can call in VAR for a replay to assist . The person at Stockley Park should be used for what they are intended for which is to assist the ref and not be the ref.
  • Options
    Appeals are by far the worst way of dealing with it. 

Who gets to make the appeal? Manager, player? What if the other team are breaking clear on goal so the manager makes an appeal to stop the game? 

Clear and obvious errors would be fine but yet again, what is clear and obvious?
    Offside is clear and obvious to some, either you're offside or you're not. 
    VAR was brought in to help with clear & obvious errors. 1mm offside, whilst is offside, is clearly not clear & obvious, especially when it takes several minutes to get to that conclusion.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Appeals are by far the worst way of dealing with it. 

Who gets to make the appeal? Manager, player? What if the other team are breaking clear on goal so the manager makes an appeal to stop the game? 

Clear and obvious errors would be fine but yet again, what is clear and obvious?
    Offside is clear and obvious to some, either you're offside or you're not. 
    VAR was brought in to help with clear & obvious errors. 1mm offside, whilst is offside, is clearly not clear & obvious, especially when it takes several minutes to get to that conclusion.
    Should be margin for human error like there is in cricket, with lbw calls.
  • Options
    I detest VAR has ruined the spontaneity and joy of the game for me, was falling out of love with “Top Level” football and this was the final nail in the coffin - don’t bother watching games where it’s used anymore. 
  • Options
    Funny that people seem to think the joy of the game was the referee making the wrong decisions throughout the game and leaving to a torrent of abuse in person and on social media. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Funny that people seem to think the joy of the game was the referee making the wrong decisions throughout the game and leaving to a torrent of abuse in person and on social media. 
    The joy of the game is seeing a goal scored and the instant joy it brings....VAR takes that joy away. How many more times do you require people to tell you that?
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    The joy of the game is seeing a goal scored and the instant joy it brings....VAR takes that joy away. How many more times do you require peoe.to tell you that?
    You mean like the video I posted above? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    The joy of the game is seeing a goal scored and the instant joy it brings....VAR takes that joy away. How many more times do you require peoe.to tell you that?
    You mean like the video I posted above? 
    Sorry mate, but you are in the minority 
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:
    Funny that people seem to think the joy of the game is VAR continually stopping the game, still making the wrong decisions throughout the game and leaving to a torrent of abuse in person and on social media. 
    Incoming in 3,2,1... 'Var dont make the decision, The referees do'
  • Options
    Danepak said:

I would if it could do a perfect job. We are probably a long way from that though.
    And that’s where we disagree.
    In my opinion, football will go sterile, if we end all mistakes.
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    Danepak said:

I would if it could do a perfect job. We are probably a long way from that though.
    Sounds like you don't really like football and prefer controversy. 
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    Danepak said:

Pathetic response.
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    Danepak said:

Do you go to many games in person? Because from my own experience of the people who like VAR (which isn't many) they tend to just follow there team on the tele and like it for the so called drama. 
  • Options
    The day we all agree about football will be the actual day it starts to die.
  • Options
    Strange one which probably could never have happened without VAR! 

The Canadian player has both feet off the ground - is out of control - and has completely missed the ball. But gets a penalty!

Women's Olympic football: Canada beat USA to reach final - BBC Sport
  • Options
    Strange one which probably could never have happened without VAR! 

The Canadian player has both feet off the ground - is out of control - and has completely missed the ball. But gets a penalty!

Women's Olympic football: Canada beat USA to reach final - BBC Sport
    Surely the argument is that the defender got the player before ball. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's a strange one!

When I first glanced at it I thought the Canadian (red) player was the defender.

She seems to dive for the ball, miss it completely and trip the attacking (white) player who is making an attempt to play the ball.  Definite penalty for the American (white) team!

Watch it like I did assuming the Canadian player is the defender and try to decide who should get a free kick!
  • Options
    VAR updates ahead of the new Premier League season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdmZ7L0T8aE
  • Options
    Richarlison rises to score a fine header for Everton, which is ruled off side cos he hasn't cut his toenails, then Arsenal score, how typical is that?

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Richarlison finally learns to stay onside. He puts the ball in the net a third time and this time it counts.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    The Problem With VAR is even though "the hand of God" goal is disallowed, so is the Hurst goal at Wembley, as Technology since had shown the ball wasn't over the line. As both weren't goals this proves that VAR and the goal line watches would stop the unseen mistakes and the shocking tackles that are so late they are missed by the officials, plus off the ball incidents.

The case of the nodding Russian linesman in 66 final just two decades after the end of WWII in which his family suffered so much was a pivotal moment in the match.

I have always thought VAR would aid the referees but the human part in the process has hampered it and premature exhilaration is cruel or funny depending who you support.

After being at a Step 5 match last week where a forward starts running as soon as the keeper drop kicks the ball and has two CB keeping him on side as he runs past them only to be flagged offside after lobbing the keeper from 30 yards, the frustration is even worse than waiting a while for a decision.

Pro and cons with technology, but armpit offsides are a nightmare and should go.

• Options
    I thought it was a strange decision not to send Godfrey off for Everton last night after VAR highlighted an avoidable step on the face.
  • Options
    Richarlison finally learns to stay onside. He puts the ball in the net a third time and this time it counts.

I thought they weren't drawing lines any more?
  • Options
    Farcical penalty decision in the Palace V Liverpool game earlier. Are we just accepting VAR is here to stay? Took about 5 minutes with countless replays , ref going to the monitor and still the wrong decision is made! 
    I would mention something about the levels of apathy about it these days ..... but can't really be arsed.
  • Options
    Refs don't actually need to go to the monitor do they? If today's Ref couldn't see that his original decision was vindicated because Jota deliberately ran into the keeper then there really is no point him going over. I can't recall the last time that an on field decision wasn't overturned so if that is going to be the case we might as well save time and just tell the Ref that he was wrong even if he was, actually, correct all along.