Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VAR - are you a fan?

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    cafc999 said:
    How about take offsides out of the equation and just use it for fouls inside the box, or better still, just completely bin it off?
    Why? Point to a single incorrect offside decision VAR has made. 
    The Cavani goal for Man U vs Fulham
    The error was made by the referee and not the VAR technology. 

Basically proven my point. 
    Wtf are you on about. VAR looked at it and got it wrong. It was an incorrect decision. 

I get it. You belong to the cult of technology can do no wrong. But in this case its shit and is ruining the game.
    The VAR is looked at by who? A referee. 

People need to get their head around that. The technology isn't incorrect, it's literally just showing you a reply. The referee looking at the replay and still making the wrong decision is the problem with VAR. 

The offside lines and goal-line technology is the only 'technology' decisions being made, and they've never been wrong. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    cafc999 said:
    How about take offsides out of the equation and just use it for fouls inside the box, or better still, just completely bin it off?

Wtf are you on about. VAR looked at it and got it wrong. It was an incorrect decision. 

I get it. You belong to the cult of technology can do no wrong. But in this case its shit and is ruining the game.

People need to get their head around that. The technology isn't incorrect, it's literally just showing you a reply. The referee looking at the replay and still making the wrong decision is the problem with VAR. 

The offside lines and goal-line technology is the only 'technology' decisions being made, and they've never been wrong. 
    Deary me
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    cafc999 said:

Deary me
    What's wrong with what I've said? 

The referees are the problem, not the technology. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    cafc999 said:

Deary me
    What's wrong with what I've said? 

The referees are the problem, not the technology. 
    the problem is the introduction of the technology, not the technology per se. 
  • Options
    Technology can never be exact every time. If you are clocked at "exactly" 70.0000001 mph on the motorway there is no way anyone can know whether you are actually exceeding the speed limit. The measuring device will have an error tolerance and the decision has to be "not sure". Hopefully you are not banned. If the ball is exactly 0.000000000001 millimetres over the line no technology in the world can be sure either way!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    cafc999 said:
    None as the current technology stands and the fact that VAR does not make any decisions either but that is not the point. Waiting 2 to 3 minutes for it to be sorted is killing the joy, not the decision.
  • Options
    If you want technology to take over sport you might as well remove humans completely as they're not 100% reliable. We could build footballing robots with sensors so that VAR would be guaranteed to work.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I watched La Liga over the last 2 weeks of the season where the cameras were going to different grounds as incidents happened. The number of times the officials were able to use VAR to correct initially incorrect or confirm what seemed initially dubious decisions in matches affecting relegation and the eventual La Liga champions, in my eyes, rendered all the arguments against VAR a total nonsense. And it did not spoil my enjoyment of the football one iota. 
  • Options
    I watched La Liga over the last 2 weeks of the season where the cameras were going to different grounds as incidents happened. The number of times the officials were able to use VAR to correct initially incorrect or confirm what seemed initially dubious decisions in matches affecting relegation and the eventual La Liga champions, in my eyes, rendered all the arguments against VAR a total nonsense. And it did not spoil my enjoyment of the football one iota. 
    So how do they manage it compared to the PL  - it surely has to be better?
  • Options
    Do you think we implement VAR well over here? 

Worth pointing out that football is a lot quicker over here than the continent.

• Options
    Exactly the same. Although I don’t think they use goal line technology so they use VAR to confirm whether or not the ball crosses the line. 
  • Options
    Exactly the same. Although I don’t think they use goal line technology so they use VAR to confirm whether or not the ball crosses the line. 
    But surely not as slow - that is the main issue?
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

The referees are far far far far worse. 

THEY are the problem. It has always been the case. 

Do people forget before VAR that it was introduced because the refs were so bad in this country. 

Remember the World Cup when it was first introduced? No issues whatsoever, couple of seconds to make a decision and that was it. No drama at all. 
  • Options
    Comparing a four week long tournament to a 9 month one is hardly fair. If the refs are bad and VAR does not improve the game because its the same refs making the decisions then why have it?
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Comparing a four week long tournament to a 9 month one is hardly fair. If the refs are bad and VAR does not improve the game because its the same refs making the decisions then why have it?
    It was supposed to help the refs make the right decision. 

They still can't so maybe you need to go back and look at the training and qualifications the refs have to undergo. Is it really enough because clearly they don't have a clue what game they're watching sometimes. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    cafc999 said:
    It was supposed to help the refs make the right decision. 

They still can't so maybe you need to go back and look at the training and qualifications the refs have to undergo. Is it really enough because clearly they don't have a clue what game they're watching sometimes. 
    or just bin it off? It's all down to human error at the end of the day
  • Options
    If you're complaining about hairline decisions involving offsides, blame the rules and not VAR. 

The rules literally state anything beyond the defender that can touch the ball legally is offside. They're just going by the rules. 
     Yes but that makes the rule silly and a game with VAR a joke worth missing. 
    Remember it was also only meant to be for clear and obvious errors and not 1mm offside decisions...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with the one captain's appeal per half, always have. That removes the incessant waiting for hairline decisions. Also it brings back the excitement if you know your team's gone for the appeal. Will there still be a couple of errors? Sure... but should catch the blatant ones and means you're not constantly slowing everything down. Also the captain has to say what they're appealing... so can't just say 'review that goal to see if anything's wrong with it'. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

Do people forget before VAR that it was introduced because the refs were so bad in this country. 

Remember the World Cup when it was first introduced? No issues whatsoever, couple of seconds to make a decision and that was it. No drama at all. 
    You sound like a TV pundit - everyone criticises referees and presumably they are all experts who can do a better job. Refs like players are human and make mistakes - some refs are better than others.

The lack of respect for referees in the game is just mirrored in the behaviour of players.

• Options
    No
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

You sound like a TV pundit - everyone criticises referees and presumably they are all experts who can do a better job. Refs like players are human and make mistakes - some refs are better than others.

The lack of respect for referees in the game is just mirrored in the behaviour of players.

Why did VAR in the world cup initially work so well? 

Because the best referees in the world were running it. 

The referees in the Premier League clearly can't cope with it. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

You are still comparing that tournament to the premier league...they are completely different. You know that
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I thought there was a massive flaw when VAR was introduced in the World Cup that was exposed a few times. That is the ref made a decision and then he got a voice in his ear saying you might want to look at that again. The mere fact that it happened in this way, I believe, put pressure on the ref to reverse his decision, when I thought the initial one was a better one.  The problem is, and the football authorities have failed to grasp this IMO, that so many decisions require interpretation with or without VAR. It means VAR can't be perfect and when that is accepted it will probably be implemented better.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

You are still comparing that tournament to the premier league...they are completely different. You know that
    Exactly - seems a pointless comparison.

If we are going to use VAR its use needs to improve - we're not suddenly going to get a new set of referees. There must be some leagues that are leading the way.