Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer on Talksport 10:20 Today

13»

Comments

• Options
    Clubs win and lose though. Lyle Taylor was a steal for us.
    Absolutely. It’s just because RD has directly caused a lot of our losses 
  • Options
    @Henry Irving of course, Duchatelet is hypocrisy on stilts. 

If agents were were banned from representing players, and instead worked only for the clubs, as search agents do, what would happen? Less money in agents' pockets, and less transfers in total, I suspect. However, players are not generally as well equipped to look after their own careers as are management types who deal with exec search consultants ( such as I am). I accept that they need more care and advice. That was exactly the idea the PFA had, it would play that role. But the clubs would not buy it, and unfortunately it would need to be adopted globally, given the nature of the game now. 

It is a mess with no easy solution. I tell you what though, if we could get Luke Young to come along and give a frank talk on agents, I'd do my best to fly from Prague to be there.
    Bromley Addicks light bulb moment
    I just knew I would come back and read that! :-) so do I get free admission for suggesting it? Seeing as Id have to travel all the way to London and then back out to Kent?
    Everyone gets free admission

But we do pass a glass around.

PS Bromley is in London
    Yeah, it is now. So is sodding Croydon, with all that implies.
  • Options
    I know everyone wants to blame the agent, but the decision on where to sign was made by Joe Aribo. 

The notion that the agent did something wrong by not disclosing Brentfords will depend on what they offered. I can assure you that if they made a better offer than Rangers to Joe, he would have recommended it. But really, do we think Brentford could outbid Rangers. 

Lee is probably right, on a football level, Brentford or Charlton May have been better bets for a long term career. But his agent would point out that you’re always one bad tackle away from not having a long career, so guaranteed money now is a safe bet. 
  • Options
    Im sure Celtic were in for him aswell so unless he has some affiliation to Rangers i can only guess that Gerrard is the main factor in his choice. Could be wrong
  • Options
    @SomervilleAddick may I politely ask if you have inside knowledge? You write that you "can assure us" the agent would have disclosed a rival bid. Agents, like all businesses, are driven by revenue maximization. The suggestion is that Rangers may have been ready to pay the agent a wedge to help land Aribo, whereas Brentford maybe not. That is, unfortunately, more than plausible. Have you never stopped to ask yourself why there wasn't a rival bid for Joe Gomez?
  • Options
    He signed for the queens 11 if there was ever a club that I would consider leaving charlton for its them 

quite an easy decision
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Roland has policies on contracts but sometimes you have to break those when you can see a player on the up. There is also a risk element but that is where you need to employ the right people to identify when you can push the boat out. That is one of Duchatelet's big weaknesses.

We have to face facts that he is unlikely to sell anytime soon as his price is not reasonable. But he has fallen on his feet by appointing Bowyer. Bowyer has special qualities and whilst this has been more through luck than judgement on Duchatelet's part, he surely has to see that his best option is to give Bowyer as much support as he can. Bowyer actually represents an opportunity for Roland to make a profit out of what has been for the most part a disaster. The only trouble is, I don't think he has enough understanding of football to see it.

By the way that doesn't mean giving Bowyer a silly budget. But give him a workable budget and work with him a bit. What does he need etc... Bowyer has shown he can bring in the players on the cheap through loans etc... but you still need to be backed to do this.
  • Options
    The Queens 11? I doubt Joe would even know or care what you are on about.

• Options

I have no idea what he's on about. I have seen this comment about the queens 11 a couple of times now... Just tried to google Queens 11 and there's nothing of any sense. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I have no idea what he's on about. I have seen this comment about the queens 11 a couple of times now... Just tried to google Queens 11 and there's nothing of any sense. 
    its not that difficult to work out when you look at the flags Rangers fans wave and Celtic fans wave.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @SomervilleAddick may I politely ask if you have inside knowledge? You write that you "can assure us" the agent would have disclosed a rival bid. Agents, like all businesses, are driven by revenue maximization. The suggestion is that Rangers may have been ready to pay the agent a wedge to help land Aribo, whereas Brentford maybe not. That is, unfortunately, more than plausible. Have you never stopped to ask yourself why there wasn't a rival bid for Joe Gomez?
    Jim White invited Aribo's agents onto his show but they declined his invitation but issued a statement which White read out,i will post a link to the show when it becomes available,normally about 13.30.
  • Options
    I know everyone wants to blame the agent, but the decision on where to sign was made by Joe Aribo. 

The notion that the agent did something wrong by not disclosing Brentfords will depend on what they offered. I can assure you that if they made a better offer than Rangers to Joe, he would have recommended it. But really, do we think Brentford could outbid Rangers. 

Lee is probably right, on a football level, Brentford or Charlton May have been better bets for a long term career. But his agent would point out that you’re always one bad tackle away from not having a long career, so guaranteed money now is a safe bet. 
    I bet he did point that out, but that in itself is disingenuous.  How many players as a proportion end their careers in their early 20s?  Close to zero I'd imagine.  

The best way to maximise your client's career earnings is to get as good a view of their potential as you can.  If Bowyer's right, Aribo hasn't just maximised his opportunity - he's more likely to go into the Championship from the Scottish league than the Premiership isn't he?  In which case, what do you lose by signing for another Championship club now and then getting picked up in 1-2 years by a Premiership club?  

In many ways, he'd have been better being a big fish in our small pond - with a manager who's already improved him considerably - than almost any move away, but I have no doubt our offer to him was pitiful.

This is, in my view, the agent seeing a short term opportunity and deciding - for his own interests - that the risk of Aribo being one of the few retiring early wasn't worth it. 
  • Options
    Todays chat about Aribo inluding statement from Aribo's agent here https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1561712400/ starts from about 13.30 minutes.
  • Options
    Rangers are the queens 11 🇬🇧

if you know you know 

🇬🇧 God save the queen 🇬🇧