Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tom Lockyer - collapsed again at Bournemouth, recovering in hospital (p23)

Comments

• Options
    He's become one of the first choice CB's for Wales

He'll want to stay in the Championship what with the Euros next summer

If he drops down to League One with us then he loses that spot
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    The comedown from Wembley has been distinctly unpleasant.
    Just hope relegation from the Championship is the end of that comedown now!!
  • Options
    We were one of a few Championship clubs in for him last season, I am aware he spoke with Forest, and bought into Bowyer. No doubt the agent has negotiated the clause with the Euros in place and Lockyer would never have been selected for the first team or maybe even the squad if we got relegated.  What with the rest of the players whose contracts are now expiring and we cannot renew them due to the embargo or sign any players, the  team next season will be made up of under 18s and a few from the women's team, no need to worry season ticket prices are on the up.
  • Options
    being in whatever division isn't going to make any difference to an experienced youngish international centre half's prospects for playing for Wales.. :)
  • Options
    He's not a bad player but a bit angry and loses focus. Definitely a drop down from Bauer. 

• Options
    Literally beyond belief that you'd agree to insert a clause letting an under contract first team regular go on a free. 
    He came to us on a "free" and has left on a "free". 

What bargaining power did we have when he joined us? Sound financial footing? The offer of a 5 year contract? Massive imminent strengthening of the squad? 

Who in their right mind and is worth anything would want to stay and play for us right now? A club where the fans and players don't even know who the actual owners are and could go bust at any time.

I'm not questioning him wanting to leave. Wouldn't blame anyone for that.

But no one is going to convince me that inserting a clause whereby a first team regular can leave on a free is anything but ridiculous.
    Normally I would agree but if you think of the hand Bowyer and Gallen where playing with last summer, it must if been a case of needs must to insert the clause to get him in. We wouldn't have had many options. 
    That's a fair point. It just pisses me off.

We moan (and rightly so) when the club don't offer decent contracts and players like Bauer and Aribo leave on a free when their contracts are up, but now we're perfectly ok with a first team regular who is UNDER CONTRACT leaving on a free.

Everything about this club apart from its fans is an absolute fucking farce.
    Agreed that fact Bowyer and Gallen had got to a point they had to put clauses like that in is criminal and symptomatic of the way the club has been run for many years. 
  • Options
    He is a loss.  8 clubs conceded more goals than us this season.  Our defence and GK are not the reason we're down, late goals regardless..  (e.g. Brum away, if McGeady puts us 2-up, the late scramble is irrelevant)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Literally beyond belief that you'd agree to insert a clause letting an under contract first team regular go on a free. 

What bargaining power did we have when he joined us? Sound financial footing? The offer of a 5 year contract? Massive imminent strengthening of the squad? 

Who in their right mind and is worth anything would want to stay and play for us right now? A club where the fans and players don't even know who the actual owners are and could go bust at any time.

But no one is going to convince me that inserting a clause whereby a first team regular can leave on a free is anything but ridiculous.
    This. What was his incentive to keeping us up. NONE.

What was his incentive for us to get relegated. 

£££££

Fuck them all. No wonder we went down. Spineless. Players & Management. I wouldnt have played him. Played someone who wanted to be here whatever division we were going to be in come September.

Another parasite like Taylor..
  • Options
    Can someone bump and pin the squad thread with the contract expiration dates (and maybe add any known clauses like this) so we can see who we actually have in contract for next year? 
  • Options
    I’m not sure many, if any, Championship teams will take him. 

Think he will end up going Ipswich or somewhere.
    On a free with the wages we pay, he could easily get a gig at somewhere like Luton or Barnsley or Coventry or Rotherham.

He'll want a championship side so he can make the Wales squad.
    Oh I’m sure that’s what he wants.

I don’t think he’s a bad player, I just think he’s really struggled performance wise for a while now. Personally think Championship forwards are too clever for him, let alone international ones.
    Nah.......he was excellent first part of the season when we were doing well. But form dropped off when we restarted.......now we know why.

Being relegated was good for him. 

I'd rather we never signed anyone with a relegation clause. Did it with HH and I questioned it then. No incentive when chasing back.

Just remind me......who was it on the line /around Phillips when Birmingham got their equaliser.....??

Cheats. At least Taylor was honest why he didnt want to play.
  • Options
    The only "relegation" clause in a player's contract should be a wages reduction commensurate with the new division.

If a player isn't prepared to hang around if the club goes down they should do better to help keep them up.

At the start of the season Lockyer's performances were BFG-esque but in recent weeks there have been so many errors that have contributed to our relegation.
    Read the last paragraph and ask yourself why.

Relegation was in his interest.

Argh. I'm leaving here now before I get too fucking mad.
  • Options
    Baffling clause to add, go down and need to probably recoup some money and one of our main assets goes on a free.
  • Options
    If he is to go and I am sad to see him go, as I really liked him, I am pleased that the benefactors of what could have been a decent fee will not be seeing a penny.🖕🏻🤡🤡🤡🖕🏻
  • Options

Fuck them all. No wonder we went down. Spineless. Players & Management. I wouldnt have played him. Played someone who wanted to be here whatever division we were going to be in come September.

The reality surely is that none of them will really *want* to be here in September.

If we are relying on that for a squad then we’ll be really short on numbers.

Players in nearly every club are just passing through, and will be there until there is a better offer at the end of a contract, or a high enough transfer fee bid during it.

No one has signed for us in the last five years and more because they’ve been sold on Roland’s grand plans for the club, but because the offer on the table worked for them at the time.

Lockyer is just in a position where we wanted him enough last summer to be able to protect his interests in the event of what has happened.
  • Options
    He's become one of the first choice CB's for Wales

He'll want to stay in the Championship what with the Euros next summer

If he drops down to League One with us then he loses that spot
    Christ, Immobile will be licking his lips.
  • Options
    Relegation release clause linked to his passing and hoofing into touch in final 9 games.....never!?!
  • Options
    A mad contract clause - shows ultimately how desperate we were.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The reality surely is that none of them will really *want* to be here in September.

If we are relying on that for a squad then we’ll be really short on numbers.

Players in nearly every club are just passing through, and will be there until there is a better offer at the end of a contract, or a high enough transfer fee bid during it.

No one has signed for us in the last five years and more because they’ve been sold on Roland’s grand plans for the club, but because the offer on the table worked for them at the time.

Lockyer is just in a position where we wanted him enough last summer to be able to protect his interests in the event of what has happened.
    True

I doubt Bauer dreamed of getting a move to Preston, but they paid more and are a better run club than Charlton, so he was happy to go there. If say Brentford or Cardiff had come in for him, he would have gone there instead
  • Options

£££££

You're assuming that Lockyer will get a better deal at another club. Covid implications and the fact that he's been part of a bottom three team, might mean he's short of good offers. He also might not want to leave. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

£££££

You're assuming that Lockyer will get a better deal at another club. Covid implications and the fact that he's been part of a bottom three team, might mean he's short of good offers. He also might not want to leave. 
    Plus if he'd played well enough and we'd stayed up he may very well have still got offers of bigger wages from other clubs anyway. Deliberately causing us to get relegated does him no favours, all the clause does is give him a bit of protection.
  • Options
    Had to check the team sheet after the match last night to see if he had played. Ok, dodgy stream with foreign commentary on a small screen but I can usually spot him. His only redemption is maybe all Leeds goals seemed to come down the left wingback area.