Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - ed. Signs for Birmingham p24

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Chuks

Positions - Games - Goals - Assists. 
    Centre-Forward- 83- 31- 11
    Attacking Midfield- 65- 23- 17
    Central Midfield- 27- 4- 2
    Second Striker- 14- 5- 1
    Right Midfield- 9- 1- 1
    Left Winger- 7- 0- 1
    Left Midfield- 6- 0- 1
    Defensive Midfield- 4- 1- 0

He's played 46 games for us, 32 of which he has played as a CF. that means he has played there 51 other times for other sides.

EDIT

Not sure how accurate Transfermarkt is right about this one. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chuks

Positions - Games - Goals - Assists. 
    Centre-Forward- 83- 31- 11
    Attacking Midfield- 65- 23- 17
    Central Midfield- 27- 4- 2
    Second Striker- 14- 5- 1
    Right Midfield- 9- 1- 1
    Left Winger- 7- 0- 1
    Left Midfield- 6- 0- 1
    Defensive Midfield- 4- 1- 0

He's played 46 games for us, 32 of which he has played as a CF. that means he has played there 51 other times for other sides.

EDIT

Not sure how accurate Transfermarkt is right about this one. 
    I also looked at that data but they don't always record the position the player played in, so there's a lot more appearances than can be matched up to positional data. He's made 300-odd appearances but that list only has 215 accounted for

• Options
    IR94 said:
    Always find it weird how Bowyer constantly takes credit for improving players, must be a ego thing, even talking about how much he improved Pratley the other day, man played in the Prem, come on
    I said something similar earlier in the thread, but thought it might be due to insecurity. Others have said it's because it might make other clubs feel more inclined to loan players to us. But you don't hear many other managers doing the same thing.

Would like to see Chuks getting more 90 minutes appearances. Is he really that much of an injury risk?
  • Options
    He’s won me over with how well he’s done in an average side this year .  But ...

I long for the day when we have more reliable players that can play 2 games a week from the start.  We are carrying too many that can’t.  I’d ideally keep him but I won’t shed a tear over this one .  
  • Options
    edited March 2021
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    He’s won me over with how well he’s done in an average side this year .  But ...

I long for the day when we have more reliable players that can play 2 games a week from the start.  We are carrying too many that can’t.  I’d ideally keep him but I won’t shed a tear over this one .  
    That sums up my feelings as well. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    The problem here stems back to when he signed and only giving him a two year deal - but did we have any choice? Would he have signed for three years in 2019 knowing what a basket case club we were at the time?

Like others, if he moves on I won’t be massively upset because it gives us a chance to bring in someone who can stay injury free but it is another squad body we’ll have to replace.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Are we?  Almost everyone we have seemed capable of playing every game for everyone else they have played for.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Chucks won't be here next season. 
    Sadly I think J BLOCK has a direct line to Chuks, so I can well believe this is from the man himself. Changing the manager could alter things but I don't believe Chuks has any liking or respect for Bowyer 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IR94 said:
    Always find it weird how Bowyer constantly takes credit for improving players, must be a ego thing, even talking about how much he improved Pratley the other day, man played in the Prem, come on
    I've criticisied this in the past too. 

But on reflection I do feel when Bowyer first come in as a manager (and almost certainly as a coach too) he had the spark combined with the desire to improve players. I feel players, especially the midfielders were keen to work with him and I believe he did indeed improve them. As time has gone in it seems to have diminished, and with the increasing criticism of the players he probably doesn't command the respect he used to have. Respect for the manager brings the desire to improve under them.
  • Options
    IR94 said:

But on reflection I do feel when Bowyer first come in as a manager (and almost certainly as a coach too) he had the spark combined with the desire to improve players. I feel players, especially the midfielders were keen to work with him and I believe he did indeed improve them. As time has gone in it seems to have diminished, and with the increasing criticism of the players he probably doesn't command the respect he used to have. Respect for the manager brings the desire to improve under them.
    Did he? 

There is a massive difference between facilitating and motivating players to actually improving them.  He did give a lot of players the chance to shine.  In an environment and formation that got the best out of them.

Is there a single player, currently at the club, that is a significantly better player than when they walked through the door?

• Options
    Golfie Jnr reckons its because we will be looking at better players if we got promoted, rather than Chuks looking elsewhere if we stayed where we are. 

I have to say I disagree.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    IR94 said:

Did he? 

There is a massive difference between facilitating and motivating players to actually improving them.  He did give a lot of players the chance to shine.  In an environment and formation that got the best out of them.

Is there a single player, currently at the club, that is a significantly better player than when they walked through the door?

Well we are on the Chucks thread! 
    Looked bang average when he joined and there were not many that thought he would have scored as many, or play as well, as he has this season.
    Seemed a bit soft even at the start of the season. He is now a real handful and a regular scorer and on his way to achieving the highest haul of his career.
    Albie Morgan, very poor at defending and weak when he did. He has improved immensely this season and is still only 21. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    IR94 said:

Did he? 

Looked bang average when he joined and there were not many that thought he would have scored as many, or play as well, as he has this season.
    Seemed a bit soft even at the start of the season. He is now a real handful and a regular scorer and on his way to achieving the highest haul of his career.
    Albie Morgan, very poor at defending and weak when he did. He has improved immensely this season and is still only 21. 
    Are you serious? 

He scored in the friendly against Villa and everyone wanted to see more of him, but the injuries held him back. 

There were only a few that doubted he'd be able to step up IF he stayed fit.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Chuks is brilliant at this level, but not overly bothered if he goes because he will only start 25/30 games max, we need our main striker to play 40 plus.
    Don’t be shy @supaclive what’s tickled you here?
    Probably the fact he's scored 12 goals, played 26 games in a dogshite team with no service, has the best mpg stats and that's not good enough. 

Who said it’s not good enough?  I said he’s brilliant.  Just point that out for me?
    OK you said he's brilliant but not fussed if he leaves, maybe that's the funny bit ? 
    I knew comedy was in crisis but not this bad.

Chucks has started 12 games all season, his stats are phenomenal considering that.  But at the end of the day he’s 8th top scorer, I’d rather have thee top scorer, or someone near that at least, which I think is reasonable for a team with promotion aspirations.  

Doesn’t mean I don’t like chuks, it’s quite the opposite I think he class, but we need class for all the games not a fraction of games.
    Ah for sure, I'd prefer the best striker, best defender and best GK amd maybe with no wage restrictions we will obtain that.. id so prefer not to be rebuilding our starting 11 each season too :)
    If you’re happy with the 8th top scorer then that’s cool for you, you must enjoy mid table league one.

And we wouldn’t be rebuilding our starting 11 because Chuks is rarely in it.
    Strange comment, why can't we have the 8th top scorer and go for the top scorer too, have both of them?  Signing up Chuks does not stop is signing others.  Move on Washington to create space in the squad rather than not signing Chuks.
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    I think it is Tom Rubbershoes driving this rhetoric.  Started when he joined and managers, players everyone suddenly pushing the agenda every opportunity.  Typical PR bullshit that everyone can see through and after a while looks hollow as it is overused.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    IR94 said:

Did he? 

Are you serious? 

He scored in the friendly against Villa and everyone wanted to see more of him, but the injuries held him back. 

There were only a few that doubted he'd be able to step up IF he stayed fit.
    I don’t remember him getting too many compliments last season. I liked him after seeing him in pre season (Ebbsfleet?).

After games last season I was certainly in a minority that thought he was any good. Anyway, I do think he has improved this season and has already scored more in less games than last time he was in league 1.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I'm more worried that Bowyer thinks he has converted chucks into a striker and he is the reason he is scoring goals

JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    “Jake has done well this season. He started slowly in pre-season and I gave him a bit of a kick up the backside – pointed a few things out to him.  He responded in the right way, since then he’s been very good.“

“ Chuks is another one who we have converted into a striker that goes on and scores goals..... If we go up I’m guessing he would stay with us. He likes it with us. He is another we have got the best out of, so I couldn’t see why he’d leave if we went up.”

Bowyer has a tendency to claim credit when a player is doing well. Is that because he’s under pressure, or is he hoping players will want to stay if they feel they wouldn’t be a successful without him?
    I wonder if it makes the players feel undervalued.
    It’s a thread on Chuks’ contract and it’s still being twisted to somehow have a dig at the manager. He was asked a question and he answered it.

He said “we” not “I”. He’s speaking the truth, the clubs coaching staff have turned an attacking midfielder into a striker and it’s been a massive success for both the club and the player. Chuks will now likely go on to a Championship club as one of the countries most in-form strikers (using the goals to minutes metric).

We’ve also done similar with the likes of Leko, the coaching team are clearly proud of their ability to see things in players that other clubs don’t. 
    It’s a dig at the manager because he keeps saying stupid things.

chucks Aneke has always been a striker. What did we sign him as, a wing back?

he might be able to play as an attacking midfielder but he has always been a striker.

bowyer saying he or we converted him is a stupid statement in my view
    It's not really though is it. Chuks is playing a different role for us than he has usually played in his career, there's no doubt about that. Just because a player plays in a similar sort of position to what they always have doesn't mean what's required of them hasn't changed. Kevin de Bruyne used to be a 10 or a winger, but he's been converted into a deep-lying playmaker. Still a midfielder, but his role and responsibilities have changed. Chuks has spent the majority of his career, not all of it but a lot, playing as a 10 or a second striker. He's also been deployed as a centre forward as well, but usually he played with another striker or a bit deeper. He's also played a fair bit at central midfield and some out on the wing. Chuks hasn't usually been the main man, but now he's in place as our main goal threat, being asked to take charge of goal scoring from a more advanced position every game. It's not a radical change but then Bowyer isn't claiming that. He's not claiming to have converted Aneke into a striker, he's said that Chuks is someone 'who we have converted into a striker that goes on and scores goals. From what I understand he has got the best goals-per-minutes in the division, maybe even all the divisions'. The second half of the first sentence is the significant bit. Chuks is now an out-and-out goalscorer, which will interest teams because every team wants one of those, especially if they're going free. When we signed him it was to play behind the striker and help feed someone like Taylor, now we use him as the player we need to give service to. It's a good change and it's not crazy for Bowyer to identify that getting more goals out of Chuks will increase interest in him, which is what he's saying in the interview. 

I’m certain he started his career as a midfielder with Arsenal 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    esseffect said:
    I'm more worried that Bowyer thinks he has converted chucks into a striker and he is the reason he is scoring goals

JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    “Jake has done well this season. He started slowly in pre-season and I gave him a bit of a kick up the backside – pointed a few things out to him.  He responded in the right way, since then he’s been very good.“

“ Chuks is another one who we have converted into a striker that goes on and scores goals..... If we go up I’m guessing he would stay with us. He likes it with us. He is another we have got the best out of, so I couldn’t see why he’d leave if we went up.”

Bowyer has a tendency to claim credit when a player is doing well. Is that because he’s under pressure, or is he hoping players will want to stay if they feel they wouldn’t be a successful without him?
    I wonder if it makes the players feel undervalued.
    It’s a thread on Chuks’ contract and it’s still being twisted to somehow have a dig at the manager. He was asked a question and he answered it.

He said “we” not “I”. He’s speaking the truth, the clubs coaching staff have turned an attacking midfielder into a striker and it’s been a massive success for both the club and the player. Chuks will now likely go on to a Championship club as one of the countries most in-form strikers (using the goals to minutes metric).

We’ve also done similar with the likes of Leko, the coaching team are clearly proud of their ability to see things in players that other clubs don’t. 
    It’s a dig at the manager because he keeps saying stupid things.

chucks Aneke has always been a striker. What did we sign him as, a wing back?

he might be able to play as an attacking midfielder but he has always been a striker.

bowyer saying he or we converted him is a stupid statement in my view
    It's not really though is it. Chuks is playing a different role for us than he has usually played in his career, there's no doubt about that. Just because a player plays in a similar sort of position to what they always have doesn't mean what's required of them hasn't changed. Kevin de Bruyne used to be a 10 or a winger, but he's been converted into a deep-lying playmaker. Still a midfielder, but his role and responsibilities have changed. Chuks has spent the majority of his career, not all of it but a lot, playing as a 10 or a second striker. He's also been deployed as a centre forward as well, but usually he played with another striker or a bit deeper. He's also played a fair bit at central midfield and some out on the wing. Chuks hasn't usually been the main man, but now he's in place as our main goal threat, being asked to take charge of goal scoring from a more advanced position every game. It's not a radical change but then Bowyer isn't claiming that. He's not claiming to have converted Aneke into a striker, he's said that Chuks is someone 'who we have converted into a striker that goes on and scores goals. From what I understand he has got the best goals-per-minutes in the division, maybe even all the divisions'. The second half of the first sentence is the significant bit. Chuks is now an out-and-out goalscorer, which will interest teams because every team wants one of those, especially if they're going free. When we signed him it was to play behind the striker and help feed someone like Taylor, now we use him as the player we need to give service to. It's a good change and it's not crazy for Bowyer to identify that getting more goals out of Chuks will increase interest in him, which is what he's saying in the interview. 

I’m certain he started his career as a midfielder with Arsenal 
    https://www.arsenal.com/historic/players/chuks-aneke

The creative midfielder joined Arsenal aged seven in 2001
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    IR94 said:

Did he? 

I suppose your credit Bowyer with Chuks being offered a trial at Barcelona as well.

Albie Morgan has gone from starting a league 1 play off semi to got getting on the bench. 

What about slightly older players that have been here for years?  JFC, Purrington, Oshilaja? For example? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    IR94 said:

Did he? 

I suppose your credit Bowyer with Chuks being offered a trial at Barcelona as well.

Albie Morgan has gone from starting a league 1 play off semi to got getting on the bench. 

What about slightly older players that have been here for years?  JFC, Purrington, Oshilaja? For example? 
    I have no intention of helping you make another thread a Bowyer out one.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    They have to want to sign a contract in the first place... they likely don’t want to be in league 1 so are waiting on that. Rather than on our end...
    “Once we get nearer to the end of the season we will have more idea of what’s going on. As it stands we’re not doing any contracts."

Sounds like our end to me
    I think you take everything so literally.

Would you rather he came out and said “Chuks doesn’t want to sign yet in case we don’t make it into the championship” 

Some fans would turn on him for that (Bowyer & Chuks for that matter)
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    IR94 said:

Did he? 

I have no intention of helping you make another thread a Bowyer out one.
    If you get your head out of his arse and read what people actually write as opposed to what you think they are saying. You would realise that's not what's happened, until you popped up claiming black is white. 

"There is a massive difference between facilitating and motivating players to actually improving them.  He did give a lot of players the chance to shine.  In an environment and formation that got the best out of them." 

Is what I said. Not sure that that fits your narrative though does it? 
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    They have to want to sign a contract in the first place... they likely don’t want to be in league 1 so are waiting on that. Rather than on our end...
    “Once we get nearer to the end of the season we will have more idea of what’s going on. As it stands we’re not doing any contracts."

Sounds like our end to me
    I think you take everything so literally.

Would you rather he came out and said “Chuks doesn’t want to sign yet in case we don’t make it into the championship” 

Some fans would turn on him for that (Bowyer & Chuks for that matter)
    He has said the same thing about other players before so I don't see why they would?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    IR94 said:

Did he? 

Agree on giving them a chance. With a lot of young players it’s difficult to say one way or the other whether players improved naturally due to game time or whether Bowyer helped that. 

To answer your other question, I never said there was any now. In fact that was my point, over time it’s got a lot rarer. I still do believe players have left the club much better than when they arrived. For that, Bowyer and the coaching staff too have to take credit though. Cullen got better as the season went on as a prime example when we got promoted, Dijksteel too, Bielik. Marshall’s work with Phillips is to be commended. 
  • Options
    I would guess that 90% of teams in the EFL don’t know which division they’ll be in next season, do they all avoid starting contract extension talks with their best players that are out of contract in June? Odd situation. 
  • Options
    saw chucks play in that villa friendly and thought we potentially had a very good player on our hands - looked like an out and out centre forward to me - a combination of taylor being our main man up top and a series of injuries then seemed to stifle his opportunities and he never really got a run of games to prove himself - i think he's now fulfilling his potential and if he can stay fit, is at least a championship striker. I think the time has come to play him every game from the start as we are a different proposition with him in the side than without - my player of the year by a country mile, with jfc second. 
  • Options
    In a normal League One season, there are only five or six scheduled midweek games plus a flurry at XMAS an Easter.

I think Chucks  (and many other players) are quite capable of playing every Saturday along with the odd mid-week game once a month. But it is quite rare to find players who recover fully when they are playing two games every week.

My instinct is that the  "average" player takes five or six days to recover after a game. If he plays every three or fours days the deficit slowly builds up until he gets injured or loses form completely.

This season has probably been much odder than many supporters realise. Managers have been forced to use the squad system or pick players like Pratley who happens to be a bit exceptional in this respect.

Watching Liverpool you can see that their forwards need at least a months rest to recover back to full sharpness. Salah could probably play happily every five days - but not every three days.

A normal season will suit Chucks much better than this one!