Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - ed. Signs for Birmingham p24

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Not sure if that means lots of time left at the club or time at the club running out.

Time for the first WIOTOS of the summer 
    He’s going ... obviously a Dylan fan as he chose a pic with a blue top to provide the message. 

‘It’s all over now baby blue’ 
    God......how I hate that kit!
  • Options
    I'd love him to stay. Well above the level. Now we have a top medical department, more minutes on the pitch equals more goals. maybe an enticement would be to sign him for three years with the associated security it brings him.
    Three years for a bloke who can't play 90 minutes even with our top medical department ? He's a proven goalscorer at this level for sure & if he can come on for the last 30 minutes if we're chasing a goal then great but what if we have a couple of injuries up front & we need him to start ? A difficult situation & maybe depends on what these confidential problems are that prevent him playing more often but I'd rather our strikers could manage a full game. I certainly don't want us to be in the situation we were with bowyer & be hanging on (or not) until Chuks can come on & try to grab a goal. If they can increase his playing time great, sign him up. 
  • Options
    Does anyone have any knowledge around what his "issues" exactly are? I remember seeing someone post a comment from Stockley about having belief in his body or something alone those lines?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Not sure if that means lots of time left at the club or time at the club running out.

Time for the first WIOTOS of the summer 
    He’s going ... obviously a Dylan fan as he chose a pic with a blue top to provide the message. 

‘It’s all over now baby blue’ 
    God......how I hate that kit!
    Not sure if it's a whoosh, but I still really liked it. 
  • Options
    Does anyone have any knowledge around what his "issues" exactly are? I remember seeing someone post a comment from Stockley about having belief in his body or something alone those lines?
    Yes and not pleasant from what I've heard.

Nothing to do with his levels of fitness, stamina or injury.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    I think Chuks is going to be our version of Solskjaer (the playing version). He'll accept he will be the best sub in the division and because of his 'issue' will hang around with us. For what it's worth, I don't believe it's a 'mental' issue either.

I hope so and I agree with you on that I don't think it's a mental issue as Adkins has pretty much said as much in his q&a thing with the supporters trust in that "we're all built differently".

Could be a bit like Ledley King where he couldn't even train due to the physical toll playing took on his body, but maybe unlike king chuks doesn't have the natural fitness to do that, which isn't surprising tbh.
  • Options
    https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/football/aneke-still-long-way-full-return-injury-1177348

Barker added: "There are other things you have to take into account. He's putting his body through things it hasn't been through for a long time. That was a big moment for him - even the smile on his face going out for the warm-up.

"There will have been nerves too, not just wanting to do well. The first time you put your foot on that pitch pitch with a crowd, you just don't know what could happen, whether your knee is going to handle the first tackle.

"There are physical issues but also psychological ones too. Injuries like the one Luke Shaw suffered - you saw the pictures in the media, and you think how strong he was to come back from that. But you couldn't see Chuks' injury, but it doesn't mean it's not as serious.

"You do fear that first tackle or the first time you run into the channels, so there's a confidence boost to be had there too."

• Options
    One year deal on same money and only then if the medical staff think he can be rehabilitated. Can’t have a player permanently unfit to play, confidential issues or otherwise. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:
    One year deal on same money and only then if the medical staff think he can be rehabilitated. Can’t have a player permanently unfit to play, confidential issues or otherwise. 
    Why can't his role at our club be a 30-minute impact sub?

15 goals are not going to be easy to replace.
    Our very own David Fairclough.
  • Options
    WSS said:

I assume we'll be back to 3 subs next season, so can we afford players who can only come on for 30 minutes?

And what happens if Stockley (or another striker) limps off after 10 minutes, and we need a sub to play 80 minutes?
  • Options
    WSS said:

But that’s all he is. 30 minutes. No way to run a squad in my view.
  • Options
    WSS said:

So, if you were the Man United manager, you wouldn't have Cavani in your squad? After all, he is doing in the PL the same as Aneke is at League 1 level.

Cricket coaches are now not so much looking at averages but meaningful contributions. In the case of football, one could suggest that Aneke does just that as he is someone who does change games. He's the very last type of player a defender wants to be facing after an hour of being run ragged and there really aren't many players around who have that about them.
  • Options
    Charlton Live mentioned “confidential” issues the other week. It’s intriguing, as injuries are normally reported on by clubs and are widely known about. I wonder if it’s something more personal/medical than the normal sorts of injuries that players suffer from. 

Really hope it can be solved and that he stays here, he is a tremendous player when on the pitch and his minutes:goals ratio must be the best in the league for any player who has double figures.
  • Options
    I don't  but he hot injured early on in August or September 2019 after he signed for us and hasn't been right since it seems to me. 
    He got injured in the Chris Solly testimonial match against Aston Villa, hamstring injury.
  • Options
    WSS said:

So, if you were the Man United manager, you wouldn't have Cavani in your squad? After all, he is doing in the PL the same as Aneke is at League 1 level.

Cricket coaches are now not so much looking at averages but meaningful contributions. In the case of football, one could suggest that Aneke does just that as he is someone who does change games. He's the very last type of player a defender wants to be facing after an hour of being run ragged and there really aren't many players around who have that about them.
    There also aren’t many professional footballers around who can only play 30 minutes a week. 
  • Options
    WSS said:

There also aren’t many professional footballers around who can only play 30 minutes a week. 
    or WANT to play 30 mins and hit their top level for this time only. Take advantage I'd say.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Has Cavani only been playing half an hour?  Bit starting most of the time hasn't he?
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Yes and not pleasant from what I've heard.

Nothing to do with his levels of fitness, stamina or injury.
    You can't leave it like that. Can you explain more please.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Chuks problem has been amplified this season because at no stage have we had 4 fit, and fit for purpose, strikers. 
  • Options
    Hourglass begins with H. The 10 on his shirt looks more like the word ‘TO’. ITRM stands for Ipswich Town right midfield. I think Aneke is H in Line of Duty and is off to Ipswich to play in midfield. Personally, I think Ipswich have made a mistake.
    Nostalgic quiz show 3-2-1 featuring Ted Rogers  Dusty Bin  retrohen
    Shouldn't this be on the transfer rumours thread?

Chuks and Pratson are being ditched and replaced by Ted Rogers and D Bin!!

With boots like Dusty's you'd think there'd be some power behind his shots at goal.

• Options
    The problem with the hourglass he has used is that it is showing a lot more time to come than has elapsed. It may have been a lazy choice on his part of course.
    Maybe the hourglass is the countdown to the new season.

Only a couple of days have passed since the last game, plenty of time before the new one starts, and he's wearing a Charlton shirt because that's who he'll be playing for.

Easy game this, isn't it?
  • Options
    WSS said:

So you wouldn't take Cavani at United? 

Aneke was actually on the pitch for 1,527 minutes this season. That's an average of over 33 minutes for each and every one of the 46 games in a season. He only failed to make 8 appearances in any shape or form so he played an average of 40 minutes in the 38 games he did partake in. That's not a 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there.

15 goals and 2 assists. How many players get that many goals and assists in the course of a season let alone one every 90 minutes they play?
  • Options
    WSS said:

So you wouldn't take Cavani at United? 

Aneke was actually on the pitch for 1,527 minutes this season. That's an average of over 33 minutes for each and every one of the 46 games in a season. He only failed to make 8 appearances in any shape or form so he played an average of 40 minutes in the 38 games he did partake in. That's not a 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there.

15 goals and 2 assists. How many players get that many goals and assists in the course of a season let alone one every 90 minutes they play?
    Proof indeed even if it wasn’t needed that the bloke is a talented footballer that can’t ever play a whole match or even half a match ever.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    hawksmoor said:
    thenewbie said:
    Aneke: [posts egg timer]
    Charlton Life:

At the risk of derailing this thread, that was a classic episode. Sorry, as you were.

Edit: Made a joke, made sense if I was in the thread that I thought I was. Doh.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Has Cavani only been playing half an hour?  Bit starting most of the time hasn't he?
    He hasn't. He's started 11 and come on as sub 13 times. His last 4 appearances have been as sub and his average number of minutes on the pitch is 50 from 24 games - as compared to Aneke's 40 minutes average from 38 appearances. 

• Options
    Out of interest, how comes so many people are against Aneke but nobody saying we should get rid of Inniss?