Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Richard Rufus - jailed for 7.5 years for fraud (p6)

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    He always semmed a sandwich short of a picnic to me whenever i heard him interviewed - which wasn't often. Surprised people trusted him - he'd have been the last player i would have said would go on to be a financial whizz kid. 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    It's not all bad news for Rufus. He was living in a gated community at the height of his fraud, and he is again now.
    He still living in a gated community.
  • Options
    I feel a bit bad about my username now.
    Join the club mate but I am not changing to alancurbishleystandmike 😂
    Or if you stop going and just watch matches on streaming instead

charltontvat32acaciagardensmike
  • Options
    /DOUCHER said:
    He always semmed a sandwich short of a picnic to me whenever i heard him interviewed - which wasn't often. Surprised people trusted him - he'd have been the last player i would have said would go on to be a financial whizz kid. 
    But it's all about demonstrating the trappings of success to gullible people with, no doubt, a certain amount of footballers of a similar intelligence being amongst those - "look at my £2m house, my portfolio of five other houses, my top of the range car" etc etc. People didn't know that he was, on paper, bankrupt.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/5gr2dJbFJKU

Recognise any of our fans in the corner
  • Options
    I'm still gobsmacked a Church had £5m kicking about 
    Excactly this.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Helen Chamberlain was an absolute sort.
  • Options
    sholland said:
    I can see where this is going...

7.5 year sentence

In 3 years and 9 months time he will be out on good behaviour.

4 years time he makes an offer to buy Charlton Athletic FC that is accepted and he passes Fit and Proper Owners Test.
    At a previous civil hearing in 2015 he was banned from being a director of a limited company till late 2030

• Options
    sholland said:
    I can see where this is going...

7.5 year sentence

In 3 years and 9 months time he will be out on good behaviour.

4 years time he makes an offer to buy Charlton Athletic FC that is accepted and he passes Fit and Proper Owners Test.
    At a previous civil hearing in 2015 he was banned from being a director of a limited company till late 2030

I think we can safely say that @sholland last point was a joke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The toughest sentencing should always be for crimes against the person. What Rufus did was stupid and unforgivable and should be punished but 7.5 years where he represents no danger to the public is I think harsh. Monetary crimes are proportionally treated more harshly than violent scumbags. 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Helen Chamberlain was an absolute sort.

Can't believe that was actually 25 years ago.

To check the league table...you'd use teletext!

Helens alright. Certainly wouldn't kick her out of bed!
  • Options
    He seems so simple in that video and interview. Almost makes you cringe watching him having to talk!
  • Options
    The toughest sentencing should always be for crimes against the person. What Rufus did was stupid and unforgivable and should be punished but 7.5 years where he represents no danger to the public is I think harsh. Monetary crimes are proportionally treated more harshly than violent scumbags. 
    Don't forget that many violent crimes are one-off moments of madness/drunkenness and are often immediately regretted by both parties  Long-term violence of a wanton on-going nature is usually punished accordingly. As in this matter, fraudsters practice their deceit and behaviour for years and years. The perpetrator knows full well what they are doing and how it will hurt people but carries on regardless. The financial juggling, creation of fake documents, etc, etc often means that a perpetrator lives his crime 24/7/365 yet still carries on with no remorse whatsoever.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Don't forget that many violent crimes are one-off moments of madness/drunkenness and are often immediately regretted by both parties  Long-term violence of a wanton on-going nature is usually punished accordingly. As in this matter, fraudsters practice their deceit and behaviour for years and years. The perpetrator knows full well what they are doing and how it will hurt people but carries on regardless. The financial juggling, creation of fake documents, etc, etc often means that a perpetrator lives his crime 24/7/365 yet still carries on with no remorse whatsoever.
    Good point that. 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Certainly do - Messers Goss, Humphrey and Wray among others I am not so sure of. 
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    As Algarve says this is an important factor but I still think that despite the good points you make it remains that the perpetrator of non violent crimes is on the whole not any physical danger to the public. With our prisons, like everything else it seems, in crisis and overflowing perhaps these type of crimes need a different way of thinking. Without much thought. 18 months inside followed by the remainder of sentence tagged and under very harsh curfew. ? Rufus will only do half the sentence handed down anyway. 
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    As Algarve says this is an important factor but I still think that despite the good points you make it remains that the perpetrator of non violent crimes is on the whole not any physical danger to the public. With our prisons, like everything else it seems, in crisis and overflowing perhaps these type of crimes need a different way of thinking. Without much thought. 18 months inside followed by the remainder of sentence tagged and under very harsh curfew. ? Rufus will only do half the sentence handed down anyway. 
    I fully understand where you are coming from. But sentencing guidelines are complex and take into account a number of factors. A big one is not just to punish the perpetrator but also to act as a deterrence to others. In much violent crime, other than gang-related incidents for example, there is not really a deterrence element necessary.  Hardly anybody goes out with the intention of doing someone serious harm.

But if nefarious actions of a long-term fraudster are not punished accordingly, where is the deterrent to stop anybody else thinking, "wow, let's rip someone off for a couple of million and spend a few weeks banged up".  That's better than actually working for a living isn't it?"

My experience in these matters puts me in a situation where I could probably design and commit the almost perfect fraud with very little risk of actually getting caught and even less risk of being prosecuted.  In addition there would be very little chance of a successful POCA order.  So with the odds heavily stacked in my favour, if there was only a very small chance of being banged up for a few months it would seem like a damned good bet: over three years in gaol, less so.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    I get where you are coming from @ShootersHillGuru but there is quite a body of evidence that victims of scams/fraud do go on to suffer longer term health issues, depression, social isolation, anxiety and even have a lower life expectancy as a result. Victim's health (mental and physical) can very quickly spiral downwards as a result. It's a interesting, if depressing, subject that doesn't get the profile it should, hence victims don't get the support they need. 

As @cafcfan points out it's already far too easy to commit and get away with fraud. So failure to offer a strong enough penalty as a deterrent on top would only add to the number of frauds (already the most common form of crime in the UK btw). 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm still gobsmacked a Church had £5m kicking about 
    Excactly this.
    Doesn’t surprise me at all about that church. Had dealings with them in the past and wouldn’t be surprised if they knew what they were into (although I realise they lost money too).
  • Options
    Soon as Netflix run out of real life Doc ideas, then they can look into the prospect of this story.

It would rely heavily on the editing, interviewing the right people and timing the atmospheric music of it, to generate what viewers will want to see. 

The doc about the Hitchhiker kind of proves they'll be up for anything! 

It sounds like a nasty thing to do but docu-soaps have minimal boundaries....and respected privacy no longer exists. 

Might encourage Rufus to apologise and victims can get some generated money back.

If this gets nothing but a lol, sew me
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

He sounds like a criminal mastermind tbf.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Not kept up with this case, and appreciate he has been proven guilty, but all I can think of when I hear the name Richard Rufus is the 85th minute Wembley May 25th 1998...👍