Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Richard Rufus - jailed for 7.5 years for fraud (p6)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2023
    How on earth did he plead not guilty?! Pretty damning evidence from what i've read.

Joke of a sentence though, i know it's not murder but no doubt this guy has still ruined lives. 7.5 years and probably out in less than 4 is pathetic.
  • Options
    One of my favourite players of all time. Gutted about this, but not as gutted as the people he conned i guess! Such a shame, but still a legend on the field for me.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I assume the law has properly run it’s course.
    Tragic story for all of us who loved him as a footballer, which I most certainly did, no retrospective alteration on that from me.
    The victims of Rufus are now the ones who deserve our compassion and attention.
    Spot on how I feel Seth. Thank you for articulating this so well and succinctly.
  • Options
    How on earth did he plead not guilty?! Pretty damning evidence from what i've read.

Joke of a sentence though, i know it's not murder but no doubt this guy has still ruined lives. 7.5 years and probably out in less than 4 is pathetic.
    Idon't think he will be out so soon. I believe once the sentence goes over 5 years you have to do at least half. 
  • Options
    If Richard Rufus had pleaded guilty and I would assume made an attempt to pay back some money ( had it all gone ?) Then the sentence may well have been 4 years and out in two as opposed to spending  3  years, nine months approximately in prison of his 7+ years term.

In his own mind does Richard think he did anything wrong ?

• Options
    I believe the maximum sentence is 10 years.

The fact he pleaded not guilty and the severity/value of the crime means he was always going to get a hefty sentence.
  • Options
    I might have to seriously consider changing the dogs name now 🤣

Bless him.
    Boom-Boom Boris Becker ?
  • Options

Idon't think he will be out so soon. I believe once the sentence goes over 5 years you have to do at least half. 
    Exactly. His sentence is 7.5 years so he will be out in less than 4.

One article i've seen says he will have to serve half before being released on licence.
  • Options

Exactly. His sentence is 7.5 years so he will be out in less than 4.

One article i've seen says he will have to serve half before being released on licence.
    Plenty of time to do some studying whilst inside 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    It’s deserved but so sad for a Charlton legend 
    So sad?
  • Options
    I might have to seriously consider changing the dogs name now 🤣

There’s no need, though you will have to explain to people why you are such a fan of the ‘English actor, comedian and presenter’…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufus_Hound
  • Options
    I'm still gobsmacked a Church had £5m kicking about 
    Rufus was in charge of Church fundraising before he took up ForEx investing.
  • Options
    I'm still gobsmacked a Church had £5m kicking about 
    The Catholic Church is worth billions of dollars. Rufus set his sights too low.
  • Options

Half of 7.5 year's is under 4 
  • Options
    Booooooo

free the lewisham one
  • Options
    I know Paul Elliott (the ex player) and years ago I bumped into him in Covent Garden - this was just after he had to resign from the FA for using ‘that word’ in a text to Rufus

Paul was understandably very down about things, but said to me ‘you wait and see, something big is coming out on this, and the truth will shock you’

So there you go, Rufus ruined Elliott financially, hence his anger when Elliott found out what was going on

It also shows how long it takes to investigate crimes like this

Rufus was a superb player for us, but what an utter low life he has turned out to be - if he is out in 4 years, that is a disgrace 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Can someone remind me how to change my username...?
     Rufus is Elthams dogs name?
    good shout. Either that or Rufus is a cons name
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    7 and 1/2 years .. no excuses for conning and stealing, but he'd probably have got less for stabbing someone
  • Options

So there you go, Rufus ruined Elliott financially, hence his anger when Elliott found out what was going on

Elliott sounds like the only one who didn't lose 'Mr Elliott paid Rufus a total of £425,000 between October 2008 and February 2011, getting back £460,000'
  • Options
    I know Paul Elliott (the ex player) and years ago I bumped into him in Covent Garden - this was just after he had to resign from the FA for using ‘that word’ in a text to Rufus

Paul was understandably very down about things, but said to me ‘you wait and see, something big is coming out on this, and the truth will shock you’

Rufus was a superb player for us, but what an utter low life he has turned out to be - if he is out in 4 years, that is a disgrace 

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Fair enough - maybe his anger was because he found out what Rufus was up to - it was my assumption that Elliott had suffered as well
  • Options
    Very sad because he was one of my all time favourite players. But I don't think there was a miscarriage of justice here and he deserves what he has got. 
  • Options
    I’ll be honest and say I didn’t think Rufus was bright enough to con anyone. Certainly not enough people to ring up £15 million on the till.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Fair enough - maybe his anger was because he found out what Rufus was up to - it was my assumption that Elliott had suffered as well
    Note that Elliott did enter an IVA in 2016 and this article quotes him saying he was a victim of fraud which saw him lose a significant amount of money https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/30/paul-elliot-leaves-pfa-charity-breaching-charity-commission
  • Options
    He got the long sentence because he pleaded not guilty. In a case like this the judge and jury want to see at least a bit of humility from the charged and to see regret about what they did and how it affected other people. It appears here he hadn’t shown that. Not a good characteristic. He probably still thinks he has done nothing wrong.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Note that Elliott did enter an IVA in 2016 and this article quotes him saying he was a victim of fraud which saw him lose a significant amount of money https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/30/paul-elliot-leaves-pfa-charity-breaching-charity-commission

I'm only guessing but I suspect that the answer is that whilst, overall, Elliott made a profit over the whole period in question, he lost his final investment e.g. he might have given Rufus £300k in different tranches over the course of the first two years and got £460k back over that period but then invested another £125k and it is this amount that would have been lost. For the purposes of compensation, had this been a Bank in collapse, the £125k would have been treated as a separate and single entity so, technically, it is a loss even though the profit came from the same source. Other investors, including the Church wouldn't have been so lucky and this might well have been due to timing and the control that Rufus enjoyed over the monies coming from the Church. 

Elliott was also responsible, it appears, albeit innocently and based on his own returns, for introducing clients to Rufus and it would have been in the interests of Rufus to keep him convinced of the success of his trading by paying him "profits" that vastly exceeded the usual vehicles available. Once Rufus's assets were frozen, Elliott would have realised that not only had he lost his final investment but been a conduit for Rufus's fraud and let down friends in recommending him. Hence his anger. 

Some have said, from their experience of Rufus, that they are surprised that people were taken in by him. However, how many people have been taken in by Cryptos without actually understanding the downside? How many people have been taken in by fraudsters using Cryptos as a front? There have been some fabulous returns for those invested at the right time and I'm sure that it only takes a few charts for a cash rich investor to be convinced. The investor starts small but there is absolutely no incentive for the fraudster to rip that person off at that point because they want that bigger investment. And the person who gets double their initial £10k back inside six months is regretting not having put more in so is then keen to invest five or maybe ten times as much. If we are saying that Rufus isn't the brightest then I'm sure that the same footballing pond that he was fishing in for future investors would have had plenty of people willing to bite. 
  • Options
    I should imagine @MillwallFan got a welcoming party lined up for him tonight, they reckon it’s bad when the ex OB get sentenced that’s nothing to ex Charlton 😉