Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Richard Rufus - jailed for 7.5 years for fraud (p6)

Comments

• Options
    used to give me break dancing tips back in the day at Stillness school during break time. Nice kid.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
  • Options
    It's a shame he went down this pathway but he'll pay the price for it and that's the end of it.

When he's inside doing his time perhaps Scott Minto could get him on Charlton TV. Might be a bit awkward though!
  • Options
    I presume most of us assumed Rufus would be found guilty. 
    I opened his first bank account when he joined Charlton at I think age 16.
  • Options
    I've not read a report that gives any real details 
    How much did he actually lose ?
    Elliott ended up in one report i read , so what was his beef (ponzi style payout maybe , he was desperate for his dough back as he was losing ) 
    When he was drawing big money out was that when he was winning or losing ?
    When he was winning were there payouts and winners 
    So when it goes wrong , how did he not blow the lot .

If he's taking anything out above minimum shit when he's losing then thats wrong but losing to me isn't a crime / stealing is 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is he gonna have to serve time?
  • Options
    Is he gonna have to serve time?
    I think it’s a case of how much…..
  • Options
    Elliott ended up in one report i read , so what was his beef (ponzi style payout maybe , he was desperate for his dough back as he was losing ) 

If he's taking anything out above minimum shit when he's losing then thats wrong but losing to me isn't a crime / stealing is 

You looking for pointers on how to prevent your own "scheme" going pop?
  • Options
    ha ha I want to learn the self control of not chasing losses and getting wiped !!
  • Options
    So weird that one of my heroes is about to do time 
  • Options
    Thanks AA for more meat on the bones 

• Options
    He'll be going to prison just after Boris Becker left prison, for a different form of financial fraud...
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Firstly  - he was not authorised to even give advice on such matters, let alone run any type of investment scheme.

Secondly  - he was bandying around returns in excess of 10%....never a good look in any "financial promotion".

Lastly - any money he did pay out (to Paul Elliot mainly) was not based in any returns that had been made but from money he "conned" out of other "investors". 

Those 3 alone are worth punishment. Not only has he got to do time he also has to repay back monies he lost his 'clients" (a word I use very loosely).

A great centre half he may have been.....a financial.adviser he was not. 

Edit.

Just seen @Addick Addict post. Much fuller explanation to my ramblings.
  • Options
    Setting aside the vagaries of the jury system (frauds are invariably complex and shouldn't have jury trials imo), there was very little doubt that he was going down for this.

A judge in civil proceedings had already described Rufus as a rogue and fraudster. In addition the FCA (and to an extent the CoLP) never take a criminal case forward unless there is cast iron evidence - I stand to be corrected but I think the FCA has close to 100% success on its prosecutions.

It could be argued that they should take more risks but there you go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    I wonder if he went into this scam with the sole intention of running a Ponzi scheme from the outset or somehow or another saw there was a way of fiddling the books that unintentionally became just that…..a classic Ponzi scheme.
    There was always talk that he was not the driving force behind it and that he was misled and manipulated by a third party.
    Not sure if that was an established fact, I rather doubt it as I believe no other person has been charged in connection with this scheme.
    Perhaps someone else can confirm….thanks.

As a footnote,I am expecting him to get around five years, most of which will be served in a cushy white collar open prison.
  • Options
    I wonder if he went into this scam with the sole intention of running a Ponzi scheme from the outset or somehow or another saw there was a way of fiddling the books that unintentionally became just that…..a classic Ponzi scheme.
    There was always talk that he was not the driving force behind it and that he was misled and manipulated by a third party.
    Not sure if that was an established fact, I rather doubt it as I believe no other person has been charged in connection with this scheme.

As a footnote,I am expecting him to get around five years, most of which will be served in a cushy white collar open prison.
    No other person has been charged and Rufus hasn't indicated that anyone else was involved. It was Rufus that met investors and portrayed himself as a highly successful City trader and used £2m of that money on his lavish lifestyle.

It is possible that Rufus benefitted from early trades with his own money and then decided that he would set himself up as an adviser. But he misrepresented himself in that respect because he wasn't authorised, lied about that and the returns he was going to achieve so was somewhat "pot committed" to paying out something comparable - and the only way that he could achieve that was by growing the number of investors. That, in itself, takes a lot of doing and front especially for someone who purports to have the moral compass that comes from being a Christian. Perhaps that is why people believed him given that it is known that he used the Church and their trust in him as a selling point. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I spoke to him in the first year or two of him trading and he was trading commodities fx and all sorts of stuff and he gave no impression of punting for others at that point 

• Options

No other person has been charged and Rufus hasn't indicated that anyone else was involved. It was Rufus that met investors and portrayed himself as a highly successful City trader and used £2m of that money on his lavish lifestyle.

It is possible that Rufus benefitted from early trades with his own money and then decided that he would set himself up as an adviser. But he misrepresented himself in that respect because he wasn't authorised, lied about that and the returns he was going to achieve so was somewhat "pot committed" to paying out something comparable - and the only way that he could achieve that was by growing the number of investors. That, in itself, takes a lot of doing and front especially for someone who purports to have the moral compass that comes from being a Christian. Perhaps that is why people believed him given that it is known that he used the Church and their trust in him as a selling point. 
    He might have gone to church regularly but he can't have been a Christian in the true sense of the word. The bare faced lies he told goes against everything a Christian believes in. It takes some front to sit in front of family & friends and blatantly tell them a pack of lies over a number of months /years. 

• Options
    I spoke to him in the first year or two of him trading and he was trading commodities fx and all sorts of stuff and he gave no impression of punting for others at that point 

You spelt punting wrong.
  • Options
    In many ways a financial crime is as bad as hurting somebody.
    Destroying people's lives should receive the same punishment as physical harm.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

He might have gone to church regularly but he can't have been a Christian in the true sense of the word. The bare faced lies he told goes against everything a Christian believes in. It takes some front to sit in front of family & friends and blatantly tell them a pack of lies over a number of months /years. 

What, like the story of Noah you mean?

That's always been my favourite. 2 of everything wasn't it? Although fcuk knows what these animals all ate while they were cast adrift for 150 days .....
    Each other of course…
  • Options
    Off_it said:

What, like the story of Noah you mean?

That's always been my favourite. 2 of everything wasn't it? Although fcuk knows what these animals all ate while they were cast adrift for 150 days .....
    The crew I assume.