Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Richard Rufus - jailed for 7.5 years for fraud (p6)

Comments

• Options
    The born-again Christian said of his faith in 2006: "We need God as he gives you that peace, he gives you that security. 

... but a dodgey Ponzi style investment scheme will give you that back up if 'he' ⬆️ can't. 😇 ... allegedly. 
  • Options
    Curbs said he was the best England defender never to win a cap.
    Can't argue with that. 
    It was Bobby Robson who said it; Curbs merely relayed the message in an interview.
  • Options

Former England U21 defender Richard Rufus 'conned clients out of £5.3m by saying he would invest it for them but using it to fund his lavish lifestyle' after injury cut short his career

• Richard Rufus, now aged 44, was capped six times for the England U21
    • The former Charlton player has been charged with fraud by false representation 
    • Rufus appeared in City of London Magistrates' Court on Thursday morning
    • He spoke only to confirm his personal details and gave no indication of his plea
    • Former Premier League defender Richard Rufus is accused of defrauding numerous victims out of millions of pounds in an investment scam and spending 'a large proportion on his personal expenses and lifestyle', a court heard.The former Charlton player has been charged with fraud by false representation, possessing £5.3million of criminal property and accepting deposits without being authorised to do so between 2007 and 2012.The 44-year-old, who was capped six times for the England Under 21s and spent his whole career at Charlton, appeared in City of London Magistrates' Court on Thursday and spoke only to confirm his personal details. He gave no indication of his plea.
    • https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-7336993/Former-Premier-League-defender-Richard-Rufus-accused-running-investment-scam.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

• Options
    So sad when some one you so admired in his professional life ends up like this.cannot offer any sympathy as innocent people would have suffered and they are the ones to feel sorry for."If" found guilty I hope he gets whats coming to him.
  • Options
    I wonder what his side of the story is? I’m prepared, as he was a fine Charlton player, to give him the benefit of doubt until proved otherwise and not pre-convicted by the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    Hes just waiting for Roly to drop the price a bit   
  • Options
    My take on it , from the little I’ve heard , is that he was trading and making dough.
    He then offered friends etc the chance to come on board and make some dough with him (without checking the legality of being able to invest other people’s money ) 
    first year or two he continues to make and returns are had and people like it and more want in for more action and then it goes tits up .
    markets change “past performance is no guarantee of future results”  and money is lost .
    Should be easy enough to follow the trail of where the money has gone , has he lost it trading or gone on a spending spree .

The courts will decide .
  • Options
    My take on it , from the little I’ve heard , is that he was trading and making dough.
    He then offered friends etc the chance to come on board and make some dough with him (without checking the legality of being able to invest other people’s money ) 
    first year or two he continues to make and returns are had and people like it and more want in for more action and then it goes tits up .
    markets change “past performance is no guarantee of future results”  and money is lost .
    Should be easy enough to follow the trail of where the money has gone , has he lost it trading or gone on a spending spree .

The courts will decide .
    Probably both. Living a good life thinking he was coining it, then it all went tits up.
    I opened his first bank a/c for him, when he joined Charlton.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

The courts will decide .
    If you are investing normally then even if things do go tits up you very very rarely lose everything. The crash of 1987 markets lost 25% over a 2 day period....by made most of that up again over the next few days .

If peoples money has all gone then it's either been embezzled or invested in a really really dodgy scheme. Only real traders like Nick Leeson can lose all investors money - and he was dealing in really big bucks & trying to chase the losses by shorting - not something the average punter can do. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019

The courts will decide .
    If you are investing normally then even if things do go tits up you very very rarely lose everything. The crash of 1987 markets lost 25% over a 2 day period....by made most of that up again over the next few days .

If peoples money has all gone then it's either been embezzled or invested in a really really dodgy scheme. Only real traders like Nick Leeson can lose all investors money - and he was dealing in really big bucks & trying to chase the losses by shorting - not something the average punter can do. 
    I think I read he lost around half the money invested with him not the lot (which is clearly reckless and unprofessional)
    you are talking about proper investment people, firms etc which would have safeguards in place
    rufus was an individual punter of limited experience who was trading futures as well as other stuff which can be shorted/ longed etc and move double violent and chips and if he got in to the position of cancelling stop losses it can all spiral very quickly .
    if I was him I’d have done the lot chasing it all to get it back -but then I’m a failed gambler for a reason .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He rebuilt it. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    He used to live that sort of way.
  • Options
    One things patently clear....if he isn't authorised by the FCA 'then he isn't allowed to "advise", "market" or "transact" financial business. Can't defend that one my son....
  • Options
    One things patently clear....if he isn't authorised by the FCA 'then he isn't allowed to "advise", "market" or "transact" financial business. Can't defend that one my son....
    But the court need to determine was it deliberate fraud or just incompetence? 
  • Options
    Correct

Why's the trial not until next June now? This whole case has already been going on for years 
  • Options
    RevRufus said:
    It's all lies, I'm innocent 

amen
    Brilliant. 
  • Options
    Doesnt matter. It's a crime to conduct financial services business if you are not FCA regulated. No idea what the sentence is for that.....probably fairly low in comparison to fraud, but once it is established that he wasnt regulated & therefore not allowed to be doing any investing or holding client money then it's a moot point whether he was just  incompetent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For those that may not know the offence of acquiring criminal property he's facing is one of money laundering. If he goes guilty on that he's in for a whole world of pain defending a subsequent confiscation hearing, assuming he's retained some of the assets he earned while with us. 
  • Options
    For those that may not know the offence of acquiring criminal property he's facing is one of money laundering. If he goes guilty on that he's in for a whole world of pain defending a subsequent confiscation hearing, assuming he's retained some of the assets he earned while with us. 
    So are you the go to guy in laundering?
  • Options
    Doesnt matter. It's a crime to conduct financial services business if you are not FCA regulated. No idea what the sentence is for that.....probably fairly low in comparison to fraud, but once it is established that he wasnt regulated & therefore not allowed to be doing any investing or holding client money then it's a moot point whether he was just  incompetent.
    I disagree. We all know he conducted unregulated business. The bigger crime imo is did he do this with misguided good intentions or was he deliberately money laundering/making known fraudulent transactions. 
  • Options
    Richard Rufus still doing his own defence with his Lord as his CB partner.

How did the softly spoken Rufus persuade the articulate intelligent Paul Elliott to part with his cash ? I accept Elliott wasn't articulate when Rufus told him his money had vanished, and Paul used the "N" word. (Allegedly)

I would imagine that his best defence would be if he used money from family as well to prove that it was more lack of experience than a criminal act.

I'm not sure if he can clear this charge into row Z.

• Options
    Doesn't reflect well on anyone involved, Rufus or the investors. Very naive of Elliot to get involved. 
  • Options

The courts will decide .
    Probably both. Living a good life thinking he was coining it, then it all went tits up.
    I opened his first bank a/c at Brockley Rise, when he joined our Academy. 
    Anyone know who opened his first bank account?
  • Options

The courts will decide .

Not certain :-),  but I doubt that they offered the 5% a month growth that Rufus is supposed to have done. If it looks too good to be true.....
  • Options

The courts will decide .
    Let me think.......can I ask a friend?