Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor Gallagher - Going to Athletico (p81)

Comments

• Scored again. Against the Nigels. :-)
    Quality finish too, low and hard.
  • That was never a sending off in my opinion!! Didn't look anything but the motion of falling over....VAR gone mad again! Pierra must feel gutted about that!
    Appalling decision. Yes he raised his feet, but he barely rested them in the guys midriff.
    Then Gallagher is clearly pushed from behind for a clear pen and the ref waves it away.
    Palace benefiting from shocking decisions as per every season. 
  • Gallagher is doing what he did last season namely a shining light in a struggling side. He's just doing it at a much higher level now.

It would be a waste of time him going back to Chelsea next season because I really don't think that he would get a regular look in. But, assuming West Brom do go down, he could easily go to a potential upper mid table side such as Southampton, Everton or Leeds. All three have managers who would get the best out of him and improve him as a player. 
    I think he goes back to Chelsea and plays regularly next season.  Goal scoring midfielders are hard to come by and Lampard will see a lot of himself in CG.  His biggest challenge will be the shift from being the main man to being one of 11 stars.  If one makes a churlish comparison with Parker, SP struggled with that and played his best football for us and West Ham.  
  • sam3110 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Gallagher is doing what he did last season namely a shining light in a struggling side. He's just doing it at a much higher level now.

It would be a waste of time him going back to Chelsea next season because I really don't think that he would get a regular look in. But, assuming West Brom do go down, he could easily go to a potential upper mid table side such as Southampton, Everton or Leeds. All three have managers who would get the best out of him and improve him as a player. 
    I think he goes back to Chelsea and plays regularly next season.  Goal scoring midfielders are hard to come by and Lampard will see a lot of himself in CG.  His biggest challenge will be the shift from being the main man to being one of 11 stars.  If one makes a churlish comparison with Parker, SP struggled with that and played his best football for us and West Ham.  
    Sorry but no way does Gallagher get game time ahead of Mount, Ziyech, Havertz, Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi and anyone they also sign between now and next season
    Why does he need to worry about getting ahead of Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi or Ziyech, completely different type of Midfielder
  • sam3110 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Gallagher is doing what he did last season namely a shining light in a struggling side. He's just doing it at a much higher level now.

Sorry but no way does Gallagher get game time ahead of Mount, Ziyech, Havertz, Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi and anyone they also sign between now and next season
    Why does he need to worry about getting ahead of Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi or Ziyech, completely different type of Midfielder
    Because whilst they are conventionally wingers, all 3 can play more central if needed and would be ahead of CG in the pecking order. If Gallagher was played further back, he'd then be contending with Kovacic, Jorginho and Kante. Either way I can't see him getting a look in next season
  • sam3110 said:
    wmcf123 said:

I agree, but if you are looking at a midfielder who can score you a goal, those types of players will get in ahead. 

I cannot see Gallagher getting much game time, if they go 433 or 4321 then Havertz and Mount are ahead of him as the CM getting forward. Personally I'd have him in the squad as direct competition for Kovacic. 
  • Sponsored links:

• That was never a push/penalty against Palace, he dived and should have been booked for it.
  • edited December 2020
    Lampard can pick any 6 from 12:

Kante
    Jorginho
    Pulasic
    Kovasic
    Gilmour
    Mount
    Ziyech
    Havertz
    Abraham
    Giroud
    Werner
    Hudson-Odoi

That's without Barkley and Loftus-Cheek who are both out on loan and the £35m midfielder that is Danny Drinkwater!

Gallagher might get the odd game in the lesser comps but why stay there when, as I've said previously, he would have more of a chance of a regular spot at one of the upper mid table clubs. Having seen Iwobi's end product performance at the weekend I have absolutely no doubt that Gallagher would do better for Everton for example.

• Gallagher is doing what he did last season namely a shining light in a struggling side. He's just doing it at a much higher level now.

Any player who was once adored yet ends up at that wanky, shitstained club is officially dead to me.
  • Millwall of the north.
  • Please no unless he has a release clause should we come knocking!
  • I'm not sure he's replicated his form for us at either Swansea or WBA. We were perfectly setup to showcase his attacking flair, whereas at WBA especially he's running around in a struggling side, desperately trying to keep the opponents out, with little chance to get on the ball

It also shows the massive step-up in quality and intensity between the Championship and the Premier League
  • edited March 2021
    Surely 9m can't be right. He signed a new 5 year contract last year and it's not like Chelsea are a club that need to sell.

When you consider that decent championship players go for 20m+ these days, and Palace themselves paid around 18m for Eze from QPR, then for them to get Gallagher for 9m would be an absolute robbery.

If i was Chelsea, i'd give him another year loan but at a club not so shit, maybe see if someone like Southampton or Leeds would take him and see how he does there. Then make a decision on selling him in summer 2022. 
  • I think Chelsea would be mad to let him go for 9m. Young English talent these days, surely you're looking at putting a 2 in front of that 9. Then maybe Chelsea might be interested in selling.

Please don't do it Conor.
    29m? That's a bit shocking. Or am I out of touch regarding transfer fees these days? I  watched WBA vs Newcastle last week and don't think he's worth that much😅
  • Sponsored links:

• Hopefully he plays a blinder and gets 3 points tomorrow 
  • Jessie said:
    I think Chelsea would be mad to let him go for 9m. Young English talent these days, surely you're looking at putting a 2 in front of that 9. Then maybe Chelsea might be interested in selling.

Please don't do it Conor.
    29m? That's a bit shocking. Or am I out of touch regarding transfer fees these days? I  watched WBA vs Newcastle last week and don't think he's worth that much😅
    He's definitely not worth £29. £15m would be understandable. 
  • Surely 9m can't be right. He signed a new 5 year contract last year and it's not like Chelsea are a club that need to sell.

When you consider that decent championship players go for 20m+ these days, and Palace themselves paid around 18m for Eze from QPR, then for them to get Gallagher for 9m would be an absolute robbery.

If i was Chelsea, i'd give him another year loan but at a club not so shit, maybe see if someone like Southampton or Leeds would take him and see how he does there. Then make a decision on selling him in summer 2022. 
    Actually Kieran Maguire who does The Price of Football would beg to differ with you on that front. I can't recall all the flow of his argument, but he has detected that Abramovic no longer willingly plugs the money gap, and there are some gaps, especially due to recent relative underperformance in Europe, and big payoffs to managers. And their "stable" of young players like Conor is huge.

His agent has always wanted to move him on, and the story I heard is that said agent has the ear of someone reasonably high in the Chelsea heirachy, a big if undercover factor in their sudden decision to pull him out from us.

But if Bielik went for £10m, I'd certainly agree Conor is worth a bit more.
  • I've seen a fair bit of West Brom this season and he's been ok in a pretty dire team. Honestly i don't think he'll make the grade at Chelsea, no shame in that as the bar is very high, i'd say his technical ability is not near the level of players like Mount etc. However 9m is excellent value for a lower end premiership club/ top end championship. Good luck to him, unless he joins Palace
  • I think Chelsea have an overload of midfielders and the new manager probably wants funds to address other areas if the team - a top centre forward would be on my shopping list if I were him 
  • DOUCHER said:
    I think Chelsea have an overload of midfielders and the new manager probably wants funds to address other areas if the team - a top centre forward would be on my shopping list if I were him 
    Werner is a top centre forward if you don't play him on the shoulder of the last man and not out wide
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    I got to chat to a Gallagher brother recently, and his feeling was that Mason Mount won the lottery. There are a bunch of players like Mount (including Gallagher) who could have ended up in the first team, and the rest got sent out on loan! He also said Connor was heartbroken to leave us, and will always be a huge fan of the club, which was nice to hear.  
    I don't think Gallagher is anywhere near as good as Mason Mount technically though, Mount is a first teamer because he is just better in my opinion. Nice to hear his liking for the club though. 
  • Surely 9m can't be right. He signed a new 5 year contract last year and it's not like Chelsea are a club that need to sell.

Actually Kieran Maguire who does The Price of Football would beg to differ with you on that front. I can't recall all the flow of his argument, but he has detected that Abramovic no longer willingly plugs the money gap, and there are some gaps, especially due to recent relative underperformance in Europe, and big payoffs to managers. And their "stable" of young players like Conor is huge.

His agent has always wanted to move him on, and the story I heard is that said agent has the ear of someone reasonably high in the Chelsea heirachy, a big if undercover factor in their sudden decision to pull him out from us.

Conor isn't one of Chelsea's youngsters that they poached/bought from somewhere else. He's Chelsea through and through, so you imagine would be personally very reluctant to leave without giving it a good go at breaking though.

Conor isn't one of Chelsea's youngsters that they poached/bought from somewhere else. He's Chelsea through and through, so you imagine would be personally very reluctant to leave without giving it a good go at breaking though.
    Dont let the facts get in the way of a good story.