Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor Gallagher - Going to Athletico (p81)

Comments

• Think it was Maatsen.
  • iaitch said:
    Think it was Maatsen.
    That's the one, cheers 🍻 
  • Surely loan clubs don’t get a development fee? I thought we had got a fee for one (or more) of the players who played in the Qatar World Cup because they’d been on loan with us during the qualifying process of something, not sure if people have misconstrued that.
  • edited August 1
    Two possible scenarios:
    Connor Gallagher Goes to Madrid and similar to Bale, when at Real, takes members of his family with him and his Golf clubs.

Stay at the odious Chelsea and walks away at the end of his contract( I assume June 2025?) and signs for a possible London Club.
    Risky as Pro footballer's can be one poor tackle from a career ending in tears.
    Plus football is so political that when a club wants a player to move on for various reasons and if Connor isn't happy with the new contract terms, then he could be benched or in some extreme cases will be banished from the 1st team squad.
  • se9addick said:
    Surely loan clubs don’t get a development fee? I thought we had got a fee for one (or more) of the players who played in the Qatar World Cup because they’d been on loan with us during the qualifying process of something, not sure if people have misconstrued that.
    This was brought up in the last few months, I thought it was in the Maatsen thread but I can’t find it. Someone shared a link which showed loan clubs do get a small %. It’s not an amount that would drastically increase our budget though.
  • se9addick said:
    Surely loan clubs don’t get a development fee? I thought we had got a fee for one (or more) of the players who played in the Qatar World Cup because they’d been on loan with us during the qualifying process of something, not sure if people have misconstrued that.
    I'm pretty sure they do and it would make sense In a modern world of big clubs hoovering up talent and loaning them out forever. 
  • Chelsea are a mess. Sign 40 kids and hope they turn out good but sell your homegrown players who've actually made it.

Mount, Loftus-Cheek, Guehi, Tomori, Gallagher. How many of the tons of random kids they've signed have made them any better than if they'd just kept their own kids?

Their current first team squad according to wiki is 53 players.
  • shine166 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    shine166 said:
    kodfish said:
    Do Charlton get a development fee?
    I would have thought so no ? Pretty sure rules do include loan clubs, although does that mean Palace get a cut too ? 
    For having him on loan? 
    I thought we got a cut of someone recently for the same reason, loan clubs are part of the development process now I'm sure.
    Didnt we strangely miss out because Ian Maatsen stayed here in England (with Aston Villa)

Had he gone abroad (Borussia Dortmund), we'd have got the development fee
    Possibly, which means if CG goes Spain we get a small fee 
  • Scoham said:
    se9addick said:
    This was brought up in the last few months, I thought it was in the Maatsen thread but I can’t find it. Someone shared a link which showed loan clubs do get a small %. It’s not an amount that would drastically increase our budget though.
    Can't find the link either but this is @Swisdom's comment on the rumours thread re Maatsen:

Solidarity payments are made to any club that played a part in the players' development between the ages of 12 and 23 I believe.  We had him when he was 19 so are entitled to  a percentage of the fee.  This only applies if a player moves to another country.  Same applies to Joe Gomez if he goes to Bayern - and we would get a lot more as he was with us for many years so he would be more like a million if he goes for £40m
  • Sponsored links:

• With Gallagher he was here for such a short period of time it would be minimal
  • Chelsea are a mess. Sign 40 kids and hope they turn out good but sell your homegrown players who've actually made it.

Mount, Loftus-Cheek, Guehi, Tomori, Gallagher. How many of the tons of random kids they've signed have made them any better than if they'd just kept their own kids?

Isn’t there something in the FFP rules that mean it’s better for them to sell their own academy players and sign others from elsewhere such as Cole Palmer?
  • Scoham said:
    Chelsea are a mess. Sign 40 kids and hope they turn out good but sell your homegrown players who've actually made it.

Isn’t there something in the FFP rules that mean it’s better for them to sell their own academy players and sign others from elsewhere such as Cole Palmer?
    Yes, it counts as pure profit on the books as academy spending doesn't count towards FFP/PSR
  • If you believe what’s on Twitter, he’s been told by Chelsea that he has no future there and will not be training with the first team moving forward.

Not a great way to treat a player who’s been at your club since the age of 8 and club captain last season. Typical Chelsea?
    Think they’re just desperate to shift him because of their bonkers transfer strategy so they’re trying to freeze him out. Completely nuts. 
  • If you believe what’s on Twitter, he’s been told by Chelsea that he has no future there and will not be training with the first team moving forward.

Not a great way to treat a player who’s been at your club since the age of 8 and club captain last season. Typical Chelsea?
    team captain last year, seems unwanted now, Maresca says he is not guaranteed to be a starter .. Dewsbury-Hall is the new blue eyed boy it seems and i m o could become an international prospect at Chelsea, Maresca of course knows all about him from their Leicester days
  • I think la liga would be a good move for him
    agreed it would certainly develop his all round game
  • Call me old fashioned, but aren’t players expected to earn the right to start and then earn the right to keep starting, anymore?

Surely no one is guaranteed to start games. Sounds like media bull shit to me trying to drum up a story. 

If he’s been frozen out of the first team squad completely, then that’s a different story altogether. 
    I think being captain of a sensible Chelsea would be a good non-move for him, but thus is life. I do agree though that if he’s going to be forced out of the madhouse then Simeone & Athletico are a great outcome for him. Insane that it’s come to this though.
  • Sponsored links:

team captain last year, seems unwanted now, Maresca says he is not guaranteed to be a starter .. Dewsbury-Hall is the new blue eyed boy it seems and i m o could become an international prospect at Chelsea, Maresca of course knows all about him from their Leicester days
    Maresca will be gone by January 
  • I can understand a club not wanting a player for financial, tactical reasons but the treatment of Gallagher just lacks class and I hope that he does stick it out and does a bosman next year, although probably would not do much for him not playing for a year.

Chelsea have obviously pissed off their fans with treatment of one of their own, but I also wonder how the men he played with, captained, last season are feeling about his treatment 
  • wmcf123 said:
    If you believe what’s on Twitter, he’s been told by Chelsea that he has no future there and will not be training with the first team moving forward.

I’m not so sure he will last that long. 
  • edited August 3
    wmcf123 said:
    If you believe what’s on Twitter, he’s been told by Chelsea that he has no future there and will not be training with the first team moving forward.

nothing the Chelsea owners do is a surprise nowadays, as you perhaps suggest, IF Chelsea are not soon up with the pace then Maresca could well be another manager dropped through the Stamford Bridge trap door

Hope he sits for a year on a free wage and leaves on a free next season. 

After how Chelsea have treated him, they don't deserve any better. 
  • Offer is for £34m, if Chelsea agree to sell
  • Bbc reporting he's agreed to the move. Think this will be good for him and take his game to another level. 

• I just don't get the strategy under Boehly/Clearlake. Saw they've signed another 16yr old Brazilian that can't play for them for 2 years on a stupidly long contract. I don't get why they've signed the keeper from Villarreal when they have Petrovic who I thought looked pretty impressive for someone coming over from MLS. Still no natural striker and talk of some weird loan swap involving Lukaku and Oshimen. 

This is all going to end in tears with the way they're structuring these deals and letting go of the likes of Gallagher isn't going to help.