Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Conor Gallagher - Going to Athletico (p81)

Comments

• MarcusH26 said:
    I just don't get the strategy under Boehly/Clearlake. Saw they've signed another 16yr old Brazilian that can't play for them for 2 years on a stupidly long contract. I don't get why they've signed the keeper from Villarreal when they have Petrovic who I thought looked pretty impressive for someone coming over from MLS. Still no natural striker and talk of some weird loan swap involving Lukaku and Oshimen. 

This is all going to end in tears with the way they're structuring these deals and letting go of the likes of Gallagher isn't going to help. 
    It's basically a player farm. Sign cheap youngsters, loan them out, if 2-3 turn out to be great and make the first team then you've done well, the rest will likely never play a single minute for them and they'll just hope to turn a profit on them.

A couple of the South Americans they've signed, (Kendry Paez and Estevao) are the ones to look out for. Paez has been playing first team football since he was 15 and already has a dozen caps for Ecuador. Estevao is supposed to be Brazil's best young talent since Neymar.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I just don't get the strategy under Boehly/Clearlake. Saw they've signed another 16yr old Brazilian that can't play for them for 2 years on a stupidly long contract. I don't get why they've signed the keeper from Villarreal when they have Petrovic who I thought looked pretty impressive for someone coming over from MLS. Still no natural striker and talk of some weird loan swap involving Lukaku and Oshimen. 

This is all going to end in tears with the way they're structuring these deals and letting go of the likes of Gallagher isn't going to help. 
    It's basically a player farm. Sign cheap youngsters, loan them out, if 2-3 turn out to be great and make the first team then you've done well, the rest will likely never play a single minute for them and they'll just hope to turn a profit on them.

A couple of the South Americans they've signed, (Kendry Paez and Estevao) are the ones to look out for. Paez has been playing first team football since he was 15 and already has a dozen caps for Ecuador. Estevao is supposed to be Brazil's best young talent since Neymar.

I just don't see how they ever really succeed with this strategy , I've seen clips of Paez and I get why he's quite an exciting talent to have coming in next season but there's a lot of quite confusing signings that seem destined to just spend 2-3 seasons on loan at Strasbourg and then sold on probably somewhere in Europe. 
  • You could make a really good team from Chelsea homegrown exes.

Other than Palmer, the replacements they've brought in haven't been an improvement.
  • edited August 5
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

I just don't see how they ever really succeed with this strategy , I've seen clips of Paez and I get why he's quite an exciting talent to have coming in next season but there's a lot of quite confusing signings that seem destined to just spend 2-3 seasons on loan at Strasbourg and then sold on probably somewhere in Europe. 

Buying potential rather than established talent is very high risk, but also potentially very high reward. If the signings work out, they've got a number of young stars who are contracted for years to play in their prime for you.

However the flip side of that is that if the signings don’t work, they’ve got a number of players tied to long term contracts that you can't get rid of.

The other problem with the strategy is that if the current youngsters don't work out then not only are they stuck with them, they then have to go out and pay for more youngsters. And all the time they're not making money by being successful and being in the Champions league, the only way to fund this is to sell existing first team players like Gallagher.

• Chelsea currently have 12 players (none are older than 23) who are contracted until at least 2030.

3 of those are Palmer, Enzo and Caicedo so they're going nowhere, but if the others don't work out that's a very long time to have flops on your books.
  • Gael Kakuta was supposed to be the best player out of France in a generation. The problem they've got is they're betting everything on a convergence of talent. It's all very well hoovering up a load of young players for the youth teams and hoping a few of them are quality but you need to have proper quality in amongst that. The way they're going they're letting the core of the squad wither on the vine. Who are the good Chelsea players now? Silva has retired, Gallagher is off, you're left with Palmer, the often injured Nkunku, the always injured Chilwell and the even more always injured James. The likes of Mudryk, Enzo and Caicedo are yet to deliver and then you've got the average players like Disasi, Badiashile and Jackson filling out the squad. This is a 'top' team looking to get Champions League qualification every year who have no stars and no consistent spine of quality. You're not going to fix that by praying a few of these kids come through, before long they'll need every single kid they sign to be a hit because there's nothing propping them up if they aren't
  • Chelsea currently have 12 players (none are older than 23) who are contracted until at least 2030.

3 of those are Palmer, Enzo and Caicedo so they're going nowhere, but if the others don't work out that's a very long time to have flops on your books.
    Isn’t it simply a case of the more you pay for a player, the longer the contract so you can spread the cost over those years ?

in all reality, I doubt those players will remain at any club for more than 3 years unless that club was Real Madrid

Isn’t it simply a case of the more you pay for a player, the longer the contract so you can spread the cost over those years ?

in all reality, I doubt those players will remain at any club for more than 3 years unless that club was Real Madrid
    They changed the rules after Chelsea started signing players to stupid long contracts, so whilst you can still sign a player to a longer deal, the max you can spread the payments over for FFP is only 5 years.

They changed the rules after Chelsea started signing players to stupid long contracts, so whilst you can still sign a player to a longer deal, the max you can spread the payments over for FFP is only 5 years.
    When you spend a billion pounds on players I guess  spreading it over 5 years is still handy 
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m excited to see Gallagher go up another level under Simeone.
  • Catching up on this. Do we get any money out of it somehow?
  • Messaged TalkSport Breakfast Show this morning saying he's coming back to The Valley, Jeff and Andy T did say in your dreams tbf to em
  • Could obviously see he was gonna be very good when with us but I didn't think he'd get to this level - fair play to him 

It will be interesting to see where he plays him .  I think he lacks the guile to play as a “6” but Simeone will improve him.  I think it’s a great move for Gallagher and a dreadful one for Chelsea .  They’d have been 15th without Gallagher and Palmer last season .  
  • I might have missed this but will we get some cash for this? 
    No.
  • Sponsored links:

No.
    I thought we would get a solidarity payment the same as if Maatsen had gone to dortmund? 
    No.
    I thought we would get a solidarity payment the same as if Maatsen had gone to dortmund? 
    Maybe, I thought I read we wouldn't but can't recall where.
  • Move hasn’t gone through.

The more I read on this, the more gross Chelsea’s actions come across.
  • Move hasn’t gone through.

From what I heard, it's worse than anyone thinks!! 
  • edited August 21
    https://en.atleticodemadrid.com/noticias/welcome-conor-gallagher

“ Atlético de Madrid and Chelsea have reached an agreement for the transfer of Conor Gallagher, who has signed for the club until 2029. The midfielder was born in England in 2000 and is a full international for his country.

After joining Chelsea's academy at the age of eight, Gallagher spent more than a decade in the London club's youth academy. He went on loan to Charlton Athletic in 2019, where he made 26 appearances, scoring six goals and providing four assists. This spell was followed by loan moves at Swansea City (21 appearances and seven assists), West Bromwich Albion (32 appearances, two goals and two assists) and finally Crystal Palace, where he was named Player of the Season after scoring eight goals and registering five assists in 39 appearances. He made his first-team debut for Chelsea in August 2022 and has since made 95 appearances for the London club, scoring 10 goals and providing 10 assists.

The midfielder made his senior England debut in November 2021 and was called up for the 2022 World Cup and this year's European Championship, in which he reached the final with his country. To date, the 24-year-old has made 18 appearances for the England senior national team.

The midfielder underwent and passed the relevant medical examination at the Centro de Medicina Deportiva de Alto Rendimiento Vithas - Invictum at the Hospital Universitario Madrid Arturo Soria.

Welcome, Conor!”

• Do we get any money on this one?
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Move hasn’t gone through.

From what I heard, it's worse than anyone thinks!! 
    What's the story?
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Do we get any money on this one?
    we’ll get a tiny amount as he was only here for about 6 months 
  • I thought you only got payments for loan players if they moved when they were 23 or under? So got one for Maatsen but not Gallagher.