Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Live streaming on Valley Pass - new multi camera coverage & Scott Minto hosting p46

Comments

• seth plum said:
    In the previous times when the only thing available was audio commentary, but you had a choice of the Charlton one or the host teams one, for 90% of the time I would listen to 'their' commentary.
    Occasionally I would revert to the Charlton one.
    I was first and foremost looking for a commentary that described what I couldn't see, and also wanted to experience the 'how others see us' aspect of things.
    Given they would show bias to their own players I felt confident that they would be on a spectrum from disparaging to objective about us. 'Away' commentators made me feel I would get the truth about our performance more so than a Charlton biased commentary.
    However as I say the first priority was wanting to know what's going on, if I had to endure bias shoved down my ears I would prefer it to be bias in favour of the other side which is expected anyway.
    It was also more enjoyable to hear a variety of voices and accents.
    If the other commentary did not describe events I would revert to the Charlton one.
    One thing I learned doing that is that a lot of commentators around are good, some terrible, but I remember for example how excellent the guy from Cardiff was, and Scunthorpe and other places.
    I did enjoy the variety, and hope that now at some point I will hear a commentary I can trust and that does not have the term 'overcooked,' said a dozen times a game.
    A month or so ago I watched Dartford's match at Maidstone on streaming, and was really impressed with the Maidstone commentator. Knowledgeable, a good voice and not over biased either
  • Has Minto been binned by Sky? What happens if there’s a clash with a Sky job cos surely that’s a long term thing he has to give priority too .
    I think he’s a great presenter and however long he’s here for we’ve had a result .
    Good luck Scotty , comes across a real nice fella 
    Yes... Got sacked by them the same time that Soccer Saturday dropped Charlie Nicholas | Phil Thompson and Matt le Tissier

SKY decided they wanted Caroline Barker to present their Football League fixtures now

I do wonder if this is something that'll purely be in place until normality returns and everyone is allowed back into Football, of course that wont happen for the foreseeable, but the moment all fans are allowed back I imagine the 3pm blackout on games will instantly return which makes me wonder if they'll bother (no offence) just for the overseas fans
    Streaming is undoubtedly the way forward. All COVID has done is bring forward a development that was bound to happen by a few years.

Most people on here are the keenest Charlton fans who will want to attend each and every match. Until 4 years ago, when i gave up my season ticket, that would probably have included me.

But things change. I'm older, now TFL and Sadiq Khan have made it impossible for me to drive across London and I have to get public transport (fine for getting there, a complete pain getting home - 50 minutes on a bus back to North Greenwich, no thanks),  I've got out of the habit going every week and really don't want to be getting home after midnight for a midweek game there's no way I'm going to be regularly attending week in, week out in future. But do I still want to see the games, heck yes. 

Carry on with the streaming and you will get money from me and others in the same situation who otherwise wouldn't be paying anything to the club.

The objections to it that it will reduce attendances just don't hold water anymore, now that most people buy season tickets. (If you have a ST and decide not to go, you've already paid). And unlike in the old days, when people would often attend other games, I don't believe neutral supporters these days look to attend games of other teams.

Streaming is the way forward. Clubs should be looking to harness it to encourage people to subscribe - as Charlton have done with their new coverage - instead of fighting a technical development that isn't going to go away.
  • I am lucky enough to live close enough to always go, and always will.
    But fans who have to watch streams are still great fans and I can see streaming becoming a growth area...even to the point where stadium expansion is not really much of a thing anymore.
  • Has Minto been binned by Sky? What happens if there’s a clash with a Sky job cos surely that’s a long term thing he has to give priority too .
    I think he’s a great presenter and however long he’s here for we’ve had a result .
    Good luck Scotty , comes across a real nice fella 
    Yes... Got sacked by them the same time that Soccer Saturday dropped Charlie Nicholas | Phil Thompson and Matt le Tissier

SKY decided they wanted Caroline Barker to present their Football League fixtures now

I do wonder if this is something that'll purely be in place until normality returns and everyone is allowed back into Football, of course that wont happen for the foreseeable, but the moment all fans are allowed back I imagine the 3pm blackout on games will instantly return which makes me wonder if they'll bother (no offence) just for the overseas fans
    Streaming is undoubtedly the way forward. All COVID has done is bring forward a development that was bound to happen by a few years.

Most people on here are the keenest Charlton fans who will want to attend each and every match. Until 4 years ago, when i gave up my season ticket, that would probably have included me.

But things change. I'm older, now TFL and Sadiq Khan have made it impossible for me to drive across London and I have to get public transport (fine for getting there, a complete pain getting home - 50 minutes on a bus back to North Greenwich, no thanks),  I've got out of the habit going every week and really don't want to be getting home after midnight for a midweek game there's no way I'm going to be regularly attending week in, week out in future. But do I still want to see the games, heck yes. 

Carry on with the streaming and you will get money from me and others in the same situation who otherwise wouldn't be paying anything to the club.

The objections to it that it will reduce attendances just don't hold water anymore, now that most people buy season tickets. (If you have a ST and decide not to go, you've already paid). And unlike in the old days, when people would often attend other games, I don't believe neutral supporters these days look to attend games of other teams.

Streaming is the way forward. Clubs should be looking to harness it to encourage people to subscribe - as Charlton have done with their new coverage - instead of fighting a technical development that isn't going to go away.
    I'll agree to a similar extent... Driving from Kent into Charlton is surely going to incur similar fees for me now and dont really want to have to rely upon extortionate transport ticket prices

I always said that I wouldn't protest because I was worried about how Id spend my Saturday afternoons and wouldnt be bothered about returning to the Valley when I was able to, was the same reason Id still attend games in the rain when we were on SKY Sports as didnt want to lose the buzz

This pandemic has forced it all on to me and whilst Im looking forward to getting back to the Valley, Im also not in a rush because its not going to be the same experience at the moment, and also because I can log on at 2pm, watch the stream and go do something afterwards, my whole afternoon isnt destroyed.

I do hope my attitude hasnt changed to one I was always frightened of (as really want to enjoy going to Charlton with my Son when he's old enough)... Wont be surprised if it has though!! 
  • I really do hope that the stream continues. Living where I do there is noway I can get to as many games as I want. Infact I go to far more away games than home due to the 6 hour drive to the valley ( that's if I'm lucky ) I get there might be a threat to attendance but I would still go to the games when I can but streaming gives me and fans like me the chance to buy a ticket to watch every game
  • Streaming is fine but no match for the Valley atmosphere. The only advantage is you can turn it off :)
  • edited December 2020
    Agree regarding the atmosphere being no match to the Valley, but of course
    you can "turn it off" by leaving early...but then get vilified for doing so by some.
    But the stream is a great service for those, like me, who cant get to every game
    for various reasons.
  • Streaming is fine but no match for the Valley atmosphere. The only advantage is you can turn it off :)
    Wouldn't argue with that but let's not kid ourselves, the atmosphere at the Valley is not always rip-roaring. For example, I'm not sure what it would have been like at the recent MK Dons match!

As I've said above, and @AndyG has confirmed, not everyone can or wants to get to the Valley for every match. Streaming for these people who still want to see the games is a no-brainer.
  • Minto doing the one finger tablet type.
  • Quite interesting watching the prep work
  • Sponsored links:

• Off we go, bit of camera miss at the moment, Bow on commentary.
  • edited December 2020
    I’m really looking forward to watching this from 2:15 onwards, just hope the foodies half decent, and the players are up for it.

Loved Scott Minto when he was doing La Liga on sky.
  • Live stream counting down -  1min to go
  • edited December 2020
    here we go :).... maybe not!
  • Hahaha Its CHARLTON 
  • Good evening, stoppage time already ;)
  • edited December 2020
    Does it look a bit dark to anyone? Might just be my tv...

Edit: Disconnected the chrome cast and reconnected seems to have sorted it.
  • RedRyan said:
    Does it look a bit dark to anyone? Might just be my tv...
    Looks ok with me on laptop
  • Picture looks good, quality looks better than the ifollow stream
  • Nice to see some decent team selection graphics on screen
  • Sponsored links:

• I can't watch the game today as out later but I thought the first 20 mins was free. I'm trying on the VP app on my phone but it says I don't have permissions?
    Anyone?
  • The picture quality is much much better, like watching sky.
  • Showing free on Twitter page 
  • Lip sync Is out but may be my setup.
  • Not working at all for me :( just a black screen with no sound
  • Good quality production so far IMO. Only slip up was Minto kicking things off with a "GOOD EVENING and welcome to Valley Pass Live..." :-)
  • Hex said:
    Lip sync Is out but may be my setup.
    Same here but it’s a great new look
  • I can't watch the game today as out later but I thought the first 20 mins was free. I'm trying on the VP app on my phone but it says I don't have permissions?
    Anyone?

It should be free yes, Minto said at the beginning "you don't want to miss out so buy your pass now" which would be a bit weird if it was only people who had bought a pass that were watching!
  • Showing images of training now... Bowyer chasing the players with a baseball bat seems a bit harsh!!

Could explain something though!!
  • Not working at all for me :( just a black screen with no sound
    F5 if Windows.