Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 18's updates - 24/25 season (from p71)

Comments

• Barnsley Report

Interesting that they played three trialists.

U18S IN PLAY-OFF HEARTBREAK - News - Barnsley Football Club (barnsleyfc.co.uk)
  • Casey is extraordinary. I had the perfect angle for his first goal and he created it out of absolutely nothing.

• A really entertaining game. I thought we managed it extremely well in the last 20 minutes
  • Very impressed with Wales.
  • Very impressed with Wales.
    Same. Looked to have very good feet. Broke away from tackles with ease a few times.
  • Top entertainment that, two  good sides playing with pace.
    Casey intrigue’s me, real quality I feel and  he’s picked up his pace a bit from last year?
    As said above some similarities with Super Clive, and he’s bigger.
  • Barnsley Report

Interesting that they played three trialists.

U18S IN PLAY-OFF HEARTBREAK - News - Barnsley Football Club (barnsleyfc.co.uk)
    Seemed like a fair report from them.  i would have been well cheesed off if I had lost my finals place to a triallist. Surely they should only be allowed to use players that have competed in the season proper.  

I am assuming that it was not Joe Triallist, Fred Triallist and their younger brother Harry Triallist.
  • How many goals have Casey and Mbick got this season now?

Must be close to 45 goals each?
  • Sponsored links:

• How many goals have Casey and Mbick got this season now?

Must be close to 45 goals each?
    44 and 43
  • clive said:
    aliwibble said:
    @AddicksAddict it'll be Birmingham, but when and where has yet to be confirmed
    I was told this afternoon when i was at the game that if we are at at home the venue will be at Sparrows Lane, next Saturday, who plays at home will be decided by a toss of a coin apparently.
    Birmingham's game today was played at St Andrews.

Quite surprised by the low turnout of support for our youth team at Sparrows Lane this afternoon for what turned out to be a very good game, played in a very good spirit from both teams & also refereed superbly, he kept talking to players throughout the game, letting the game flow, but not tolerating any dissent or time wasting antics.
    Wherever the game is played next Saturday i hope to be there.
    Is there any reason why we couldn't stage the Final at either Bromley or Dartford ? 

As you know, being in attendance with us last season, the Final was played at Oakwell with a fair few supporting the home side on the day. I thought their support definitely helped the home team especially when the match went to extra time & pens.

Playing at SL downgrades the Final, IMO and our U18's deserve a better stage for their endeavours to reach the ultimate match.

I'm pretty sure more of us would have been at the match today had it been at Princes Park for instance. 

And to make entry only available to VG members is a big mistake especially in these days of limited finances for the average Addick. 

Surely when we're on the cusp of success we need to maximise the attendance ?   
  • Thoroughly entertaining game
    Keenan Gough is a very good leader of men and has captained the U21's
    Jacob Safa was vocal too and always had something to say whether it was positive or negative

Casey and Mbick work well together - one technical and the other more of a battering ram but between them they work pretty well (though on one occasion Mbick took a shot when Casey was well placed...Casey was chuntering along after that - proper pissed off.) 

Really odd that they had 3 trialists and a guy with a fair bit of first team experience - I reckon they really wanted to win today but really glad we overcame them.  Well done lads
  • edited May 18
    They started digging up the pitch at Bromley immediately after they won promotion. Pitch must be grass to play in the Football League.

Charlton are playing a friendly at Dartford on July 7th. Almost certain that pitch improvements are happening there.

Was told by one of the parents that the players prefer to play at Sparrows Lane over Princes Park.

There is only limited space to watch and no means of charging on entry at Sparrows Lane.
  • Swisdom said:
    Thoroughly entertaining game
    Keenan Gough is a very good leader of men and has captained the U21's
    Jacob Safa was vocal too and always had something to say whether it was positive or negative

Casey and Mbick work well together - one technical and the other more of a battering ram but between them they work pretty well (though on one occasion Mbick took a shot when Casey was well placed...Casey was chuntering along after that - proper pissed off.) 

Really odd that they had 3 trialists and a guy with a fair bit of first team experience - I reckon they really wanted to win today but really glad we overcame them.  Well done lads
    To be fair it would be pretty odd if they didn't.
  • clive said:
    aliwibble said:
    I was told this afternoon when i was at the game that if we are at at home the venue will be at Sparrows Lane, next Saturday, who plays at home will be decided by a toss of a coin apparently.

Quite surprised by the low turnout of support for our youth team at Sparrows Lane this afternoon for what turned out to be a very good game, played in a very good spirit from both teams & also refereed superbly, he kept talking to players throughout the game, letting the game flow, but not tolerating any dissent or time wasting antics.
    The referee ignored some serious fouls (for example M'Bick being pulled to the ground from behind by his shirt collar) and the push in the back of the Charlton player for Barnsley's third goal. The assistant referee on the spectator side didn't provide any assistance.
  • Crusty54 said:
    They started digging up the pitch at Bromley immediately after they won promotion. Pitch must be grass to play in the Football League.

Charlton are playing a friendly at Dartford on July 7th. Almost certain that pitch improvements are happening there.

Was told by one of the parents that the players prefer to play at Sparrows Lane over Princes Park.

There is only limited space to watch and no means of charging on entry at Sparrows Lane.
    Ok, points taken.

But it still seems a real shame that more of us won't be able to be at the Final in person should it be played "at home". 
  • Oxford would be perfect, easy for both sets of fans.
    If only we had a contact (big smiley thing).
  • clive said:
    aliwibble said:

Is there any reason why we couldn't stage the Final at either Bromley or Dartford ? 

As you know, being in attendance with us last season, the Final was played at Oakwell with a fair few supporting the home side on the day. I thought their support definitely helped the home team especially when the match went to extra time & pens.

Playing at SL downgrades the Final, IMO and our U18's deserve a better stage for their endeavours to reach the ultimate match.

I'm pretty sure more of us would have been at the match today had it been at Princes Park for instance. 

And to make entry only available to VG members is a big mistake especially in these days of limited finances for the average Addick. 

Surely when we're on the cusp of success we need to maximise the attendance ?   
    Bromley are ripping up their pitch, no idea on Dartford but maybe there is a refurb there too.

It would have been at the Valley if we were'nt ripping up our pitch.

There would be a limit on how many people could access SL and many, me included, would have preferred to watch on TV, which is free to all Addicks regardless of income.

Yes, it would have been much better at the Vallley but that  wasn't possible.

Sheffield Utd beat us at their training a couple of years ago due to their staduim not being available.

• clive said:
    aliwibble said:

I thought entry was valley gold only that probably had something to do with the low turn out ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes, I do remember that match at Sheffield, Henry & watched via the stream. And it was less than ideal IMO. I seem to remember the last minute efforts to make the journey and how frustrated Tracey was at the time as details were scant & unconfirmed until a day or two before the match took place. 

I just feel that our lads , or whoever gets to a Final, deserve better than a handful of their  supporters being able to cheer them on. And for said match to be given more respect as Finals are in general. 

At Oakwell, it was clear that their crowd lifted the home side once it went to extra time & pens. If you spoke to, say, Henry Rylah, I'd guess that he'd back me up...

But I also appreciate the comment that the lads prefer to play at SL. 
  • Still no news re the Final ? 
  • I wonder if they've realised the FA Cup final is on Saturday and are looking at the options.

Having watched the video of the work on the pitches at Sparrows Lane I wonder if the last one has been dug up.

Just checked the fastest journey from Euston to Birmingham New Street return on Saturday is £44.20 with my Railcard. Cheaper and longer from Marylebone.
  • STILL no date/venue for the Final ! 

This is becoming farcical. 

Anyone would think we don't support our club by watching live matches ! 
  • Got to be a decision tomorrow surely!
  • Email Tom and ask him for an update.
  • edited May 23
    STILL no date/venue for the Final ! 

This is becoming farcical. 

Anyone would think we don't support our club by watching live matches ! 
    Got to be a decision tomorrow surely!
    The game is scheduled to take place at the Birmingham County Football Association Field on Saturday 25th May 13.00 ko according to this https://www.charltonafc.com/fixture/view/9591& this https://www.bcfc.com/matches/u18s-team/fixtures
  • Great.
    Hardly any notice.
    Will there be a YouTube stream?
  • The location is in the middle of nowhere.