Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players Marks: Charlton v Brentford (closes Monday lunchtime)

Comments

• Options
    Phillips: 
    Oshilaja 6 gutted he went off
    Lockyer: 9 motm solid
    Pearce: 8.5 solid
    Purrington: 7steady 
    Pratley: 7 steady
    Cullen: 8 worked his socks off
    Gallagher: 8 worked hard extra point for the good finish
    Williams: 8.5 worked hard to win possession to set us on the way for the goal
    Leko: 7 ok
    Taylor: 8 worked hard
    Lapslie: 7
    Hemed: 6
    Referee:5

Field: n/a6
  • Options
    Valley Pass

Phillips: 6 
    Oshilaja: 7 Was doing well until injured
    Lockyer: 9 Man of the match, heroic last ditch tackles this guy does in his sleep.
    Pearce: 8 Man love developing here...Mr Diehard
    Purrington: 6 Not at his best today and his passing is erratic. Gave it away too much.
    Pratley: 8 Well worth the extension to his contract, seems to have come alive in the last 8 months
    Cullen: 6 Not at the races today Mr Cullen, worst Ive personally seen him play.
    Gallagher: 7 Drifted in and out a lot but very well taken goal laid on by my new hero Williams
    Williams:8 Man love.....I really like everything about this bloke. he makes things happen and is such a likeable lad.
    Leko: 4 I think Bows now knows that this young lad cant be played week in and week out....wasnt in it.
    Taylor: 7 Chased everything and played wide a lot...great defender here in his old age....
    Lapslie: 7 George is the Duracell bunny, never stops, what he doesnt have in skill he makes up for in energy and enthusiasm
    Hemed: 6 Didnt see enough really to make any serious comment
    Referee: Should have gone to Specsavers......

Field: n/a 7 Looked confident enough.
  • Options
    Phillips: 7
    Oshilaja: 7
    Lockyer: 8
    Pearce: 8.5
    Purrington: 7
    Pratley: 7
    Cullen: 7.5
    Gallagher: 7
    Williams: 8
    Leko: 5
    Taylor: 6.5
    Lapslie: 7.5
    Hemed: 5
    Referee: 6
  • Options
    At the match 

Phillips 3.5 - kept a clean sheet and two very good saves but errors in distribution and kicking , allowing the ball to bounce off his stomach for what should have been a routine catch , punching the ball when he should have caught it being under no pressure at all , scurrying Hollywood dives then parrying the ball into the path of a forward and being unable to deal convincingly  with crosses when under a routine challenge from forward  Not convinced that he will be in goal all season due to being so shaky and unreliable .

Oshilaja 7 -coped with Henry and forwards quite well before he got clattered 

Pearce 9 - massive effort and a debt of much gratitude is owed to him for his sheer cussedness in defence

Lockyer 9.5 - astonishing how good he was and timed every tackle so well . Loses half a mark for creating a couple of problems that he then solved in first ten minutes 

Purrington 8 - good work in containing surges down the flank . A bit restricted in getting forwards but tactically sound 

Lapslie 7 - stuck to it in an out of position role but he is a professional footballer after all so one would expect him to tackle , Harry , intercept and get forward from defence and distribute . Whilst he got turned inside out a few times he did his job well and should be pleased with his performance 

Pratley 7 - much more effective dropping into defence and breaking up play than at base of diamond . 

Cullen 7 - looks like he might be over powered against some faster athletic and bigger opponents who he will encounter regularly in this league but he wasn’t and was in fact very reliable and effective 

Gallagher 7 - extra mark for good finish . A little bit light weight and very slightly off the pace at times but competitive and some good passes . He will become a very good player with experience and when he fills out a bit more 

Williams 8 - enthusiastic buzzing performance that led to things such as the goal and rather than blind alleys 

Leko 4 - curiously ineffective and looked slow and tired . Flashes of great skill but not his day today 

Taylor 7 - he can score just not today . Put in a real shift and left nothing on the pitch at the end . 

Hemed 7 - looked like he was troubling their defence and a vast improvement on Leko . Ball started sticking to him and as was absolutely needed . Some clever short passing and flicks but also a lot of very necessary good work in defence 

Field n/a - which is probably harsh as he made a goal saving block at end 

Referee 6 - a bit too lenient on some bad tackles from both teams . Special word for both limos - one next to East stand missed the ball going out of play into touch as well as behind our goal line and the one on the West stand side missed two 100 percent certain offsides in our favour  So ref indifferent but both linos were worse than indifferent as they were so poor on occasion and that could have cost us . 

Special  word for Bowyer who stood his ground and bollocked their number 8 towards the end for running into him and for trying unsuccessfully to shove him out of the way when retrieving ball from touch to restart in a game that the number 8 clearly thought that they should have got something from but  by which time the number 8 should have realised that they were not going to get anything from due to a combination of great defending from us and rubbish finishing from them  
  • Options

Phillips: 5.5
    Oshilaja: 6.5
    Pearce: 8
    Purrington: 8
    Pratley: 8
    Cullen: 8
    Gallagher: 8
    Leko: 6
    Taylor: 7
    Hemed: 6.5
    Referee:6.5
  • Options
    Oshilaja: 6
    Lockyer: 8.5
    Purrington: 7.5
    Cullen: 7
    Gallagher: 7.5
    Williams: 7
    Leko: 4.5
    Taylor: 7.5
    Referee: 6.5
  • Options
     Oshilaja 7 for when he was on
    Lockyer 8.5
    Purrington 6.5
    pratley 7
    Cullen: 7.5
    Gallagher: 8.5
    Leko 6
    Lapslie 8
    Hemed 7
  • Options
    Phillips: 7 - A couple of excellent saves. Flaps a bit at crosses when under pressure.
    Oshilaja: 7 - did well for short time he was on.
    Lockyer: 8 - Makes mistakes, but also brilliant last ditch challenges
    Pearce: 8.5 - That was a Pearce game. He is the player you would pick to have in the trenches with you.
    Purrington: 7 - defended well
    Pratley: 7 - Did his job
    Cullen: 6.5 - I thought it wasn't his best game, but he was still ok 
    Gallagher: 8 - A little raw sometimes, but you can see the potential spilling over from the kid. Great finish.
    Williams: 8 - Another assist!
    Leko: 6.5 I think he bothers defences. 
    Taylor: 7.5 - Got through so much work. Was unlucky not to score, but yesterday was about giving everything without the glory. A big part of his game.
    Lapslie: 8 - Playing out of position, he did his job and a little bit more. Unfair to judge him as a right back. I would imagine Bowyer was delighted with him. 
    Hemed: 5.5 - A could see the player he could be for us but I don't think this was really the game for him. We would have been better off keeping Leko on in my opinion although game time is important looking at the bigger picture. 
  • Options
    Lockyer: 8.5
    Pearce: 7.5
    Pratley: 6.5
    Lapslie: 8
  • Options
    ashley said:
    At the match 

Phillips 3.5 - kept a clean sheet and two very good saves but errors in distribution and kicking , allowing the ball to bounce off his stomach for what should have been a routine catch , punching the ball when he should have caught it being under no pressure at all , scurrying Hollywood dives then parrying the ball into the path of a forward and being unable to deal convincingly  with crosses when under a routine challenge from forward  Not convinced that he will be in goal all season due to being so shaky and unreliable .

Pearce 9 - massive effort and a debt of much gratitude is owed to him for his sheer cussedness in defence

Lockyer 9.5 - astonishing how good he was and timed every tackle so well . Loses half a mark for creating a couple of problems that he then solved in first ten minutes 

Purrington 8 - good work in containing surges down the flank . A bit restricted in getting forwards but tactically sound 

Lapslie 7 - stuck to it in an out of position role but he is a professional footballer after all so one would expect him to tackle , Harry , intercept and get forward from defence and distribute . Whilst he got turned inside out a few times he did his job well and should be pleased with his performance 

Pratley 7 - much more effective dropping into defence and breaking up play than at base of diamond . 

Cullen 7 - looks like he might be over powered against some faster athletic and bigger opponents who he will encounter regularly in this league but he wasn’t and was in fact very reliable and effective 

Gallagher 7 - extra mark for good finish . A little bit light weight and very slightly off the pace at times but competitive and some good passes . He will become a very good player with experience and when he fills out a bit more 

Williams 8 - enthusiastic buzzing performance that led to things such as the goal and rather than blind alleys 

Leko 4 - curiously ineffective and looked slow and tired . Flashes of great skill but not his day today 

Taylor 7 - he can score just not today . Put in a real shift and left nothing on the pitch at the end . 

Hemed 7 - looked like he was troubling their defence and a vast improvement on Leko . Ball started sticking to him and as was absolutely needed . Some clever short passing and flicks but also a lot of very necessary good work in defence 

Referee 6 - a bit too lenient on some bad tackles from both teams . Special word for both limos - one next to East stand missed the ball going out of play into touch as well as behind our goal line and the one on the West stand side missed two 100 percent certain offsides in our favour  So ref indifferent but both linos were worse than indifferent as they were so poor on occasion and that could have cost us . 

Special  word for Bowyer who stood his ground and bollocked their number 8 towards the end for running into him and for trying unsuccessfully to shove him out of the way when retrieving ball from touch to restart in a game that the number 8 clearly thought that they should have got something from but  by which time the number 8 should have realised that they were not going to get anything from due to a combination of great defending from us and rubbish finishing from them  
    A clean sheet and two excellent saves deserves much more than a 3.5. Not disagreeing with the weaknesses and much of the other comments you make, but I think that is a ridiculous mark.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    Lockyer: 9
    Pratley: 7.5
    Leko: 5.5
    Hemed: 7
    Referee:5
  • Options
    ashley said:
    At the match 

A clean sheet and two excellent saves deserves much more than a 3.5. Not disagreeing with the weaknesses and much of the other comments you make, but I think that is a ridiculous mark.
    You make some fair points regarding the clean sheet and the two saves . They were good saves but not world class . The clean sheet was down to the centre backs in the main but there is no denying that Phillips played his part . With respect to his weaknesses they err all very concerning following on from that dreadful own goal at Wembley that he was primarily responsible for . The worst one of the lot was either the punch away when he didn’t have a forward near him and our goal was under siege and he needed to catch it and relieve pressure of the one where it hit him in the stomach again with no pressure on him and he fumbled it requiring one of the centre backs to hook it into touch with a desperate clearance . One of the two would have warranted a mark of 5 considering his generally indifferent performance but as there were two absolutely dreadful shockers coupled with his generally poor performance that warranted a 3.5 as a mark . I am very worried about going through what will be a tough season with Phillips in goal based on that performance and the own goal at Wembley . I think that Bowyer think the same thing judging by his body language after the bounce off the stomach howler . I really hope that Phillips can iron these errors out of his game and push on . I have seen him have some good games where he would not get a mark of 3.5 but yesterday was not one of them . 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I have seen enough of Phillips to know he is a solid keeper. He is going through a sticky patch which many keepers do, but he is working his way through it and it isn't costing us. I think it will make him a better keeper, as long as we are supportive. I think he is still our number one. 
  • Options

Cullen: 6
    Taylor: 6
    Lapslie: 8
    Referee 6
  • Options
    Lockyer: 7.5
    Pearce: 7.5
    Pratley: 7.5
    Referee: 7
  • Options
    Phillips: 5 
    Lockyer: 9.5
    Pearce: 9 
    Pratley: 6
    Gallagher: 6
    Leko: 3
    Taylor: 6
    Referee: 5
  • Options
    Phillips: 6. Not perfect but a clean sheet
    Oshilaja: 7 promising start, hoping it’s not a serious injury
    Lockyer: 9.  Passing the “is he good enough for the Championship?” test with flying colours
    Pearce: 8. Mr dependable.  I’d want him next to me in a fight!
    Purrington: 6. All defence today.  Didn’t see him going forward
    Pratley: 7.  A key man today. Dropped into defence when the back 4 was changed.  Another good performance- I thought he might be passed it.  I was wrong
    Cullen: 6.  Today was about stopping them playing not getting us playing.  Tough day at the office. Worked very hard
    Gallagher: 7. As above but got the winner!
    Williams: 7.  I’m loving the new Joniesta.   Made the goal. 
    Leko: 4.  Didn’t seem like he up for the battle.  
    Taylor: 6. Thankless task today and was out on his feet for the last 20
    Lapslie: 8.  Special mention for this guy, playing out of position in a team under huge pressure.  Did well but you could tell he wasn’t a natural RB
    Hemed: 6. Looks strong and clever.  Want to see more. 
    Referee: 6. Not the worst.  
  • Options
    Phillips: 6.5
    Purrington: 7.5
  • Options
    Purrington: 8
    Williams: 7.5
    Lapslie: 6
    Hemed: 7
    Referee: 9
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have seen enough of Phillips to know he is a solid keeper. He is going through a sticky patch which many keepers do, but he is working his way through it and it isn't costing us. I think it will make him a better keeper, as long as we are supportive. I think he is still our number one. 
    I hope ( and suspect ) that you are right about all the things that you mention . It would be harsh to drop him after a very less than convincing display and a clean sheet but the body language from Bowyer did not look promising after the stomach bounce howler . 
  • Options
    ashley said:
    ashley said:
    At the match 

You make some fair points regarding the clean sheet and the two saves . They were good saves but not world class . The clean sheet was down to the centre backs in the main but there is no denying that Phillips played his part . With respect to his weaknesses they err all very concerning following on from that dreadful own goal at Wembley that he was primarily responsible for . The worst one of the lot was either the punch away when he didn’t have a forward near him and our goal was under siege and he needed to catch it and relieve pressure of the one where it hit him in the stomach again with no pressure on him and he fumbled it requiring one of the centre backs to hook it into touch with a desperate clearance . One of the two would have warranted a mark of 5 considering his generally indifferent performance but as there were two absolutely dreadful shockers coupled with his generally poor performance that warranted a 3.5 as a mark . I am very worried about going through what will be a tough season with Phillips in goal based on that performance and the own goal at Wembley . I think that Bowyer think the same thing judging by his body language after the bounce off the stomach howler . I really hope that Phillips can iron these errors out of his game and push on . I have seen him have some good games where he would not get a mark of 3.5 but yesterday was not one of them . 
    You go on worrying sunshine!
  • Options
    Lockyer: 9.5 MOM
    Williams: 9
    Taylor: 8
    Lapslie: 9

Field: n/a
  • Options
    I started another thread on the goalkeepers so we could avoid a debate on the Player Marks thread. 
  • Options
    Phillips: 8
    Williams: 7.5
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I started another thread on the goalkeepers so we could avoid a debate on the Player Marks thread. 
    thank you Mendonca my sentiments exactly
  • Options
    Phillips: 4
    Lockyer: 6.5
    Pearce: 6.5
    Purrington: 6.5
    Cullen: 5
    Williams: 6.5