Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Lapslie (Pg 21 - Joins Mansfield permanent)

Comments

• Options
    For me this shows the quick progession in a short space of time under Sandgaard.

Without him we'd have had Lapslie no doubt filling in at right back for some games. Now we have a guy with nearly 100 international caps.

Good luck to him and i hope he does well on loan but i honestly don't see him as any more than a lower half league one player and we obviously aspire to be much higher than that.
    I know what your saying but at the end of the day we are a lower league 1 club. Aspiration is good but I think some of our fans are being unrealistic 
    We're not a lower league 1 club. Lower L1 sides are the likes of Rochdale and Crewe whose realistic aspiration is just to stay up
    I'd be happy with staying up, like Crewe that are already above us.
    We are currently a League 1 side in the bottom half let's not big ourselves up, it makes us look silly.

Dont think it is being silly to think we're higher than Crewe... Difficult to place anyone at this early stage going by a League table as we've not yet hit double figures for games played

Especially when some teams will have played more inform teams than others etc. You might as well say that Man City and Man Utd are bottom half Premier League teams on that basis
    Man City and Man U finished top 4 last season and we didn't so its  not really relevant to us. We finished bottom 3 coz we were crap.
    We are a L1 team and in the bottom half of a crap league coz we have a crap team. 
    Just don't understand why some fans would assume we won't be battling to stay up like Crewe. 
    I'm 99% confident we'll be top half and I've backed us twice.
    I'm 75% confident we'll be top 6 and I've backed us twice.
    I'm 30% confident of promotion and I've backed us once.
    You are more confident than me mate.
    I'm about 50/50 we will be top six but we will know more about the squad in less than 24hrs.
    I hope you are 30% correct😉
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    For me this shows the quick progession in a short space of time under Sandgaard.

Without him we'd have had Lapslie no doubt filling in at right back for some games. Now we have a guy with nearly 100 international caps.

Good luck to him and i hope he does well on loan but i honestly don't see him as any more than a lower half league one player and we obviously aspire to be much higher than that.
    I know what your saying but at the end of the day we are a lower league 1 club. Aspiration is good but I think some of our fans are being unrealistic 
    We're not a lower league 1 club. Lower L1 sides are the likes of Rochdale and Crewe whose realistic aspiration is just to stay up
    We are currently a League 1 side in the bottom half let's not big ourselves up, it makes us look silly.

Dont think it is being silly to think we're higher than Crewe... Difficult to place anyone at this early stage going by a League table as we've not yet hit double figures for games played

Especially when some teams will have played more inform teams than others etc. You might as well say that Man City and Man Utd are bottom half Premier League teams on that basis
    Man City and Man U finished top 4 last season and we didn't so its  not really relevant to us. We finished bottom 3 coz we were crap.
    We are a L1 team and in the bottom half of a crap league coz we have a crap team. 
    Just don't understand why some fans would assume we won't be battling to stay up like Crewe. 
    Because we've only played four games and the transfer window hasn't closed
    True.
    But let's just say nothing happened tomorrow? We sign nobody and nobody else leaves.
    Are we a Championship squad, top L1 squad, average L1 squad? 
    Hope you get my point.
    Nope, not really.

It doesn't matter what we are right now, what matters is where we finish after 46 games.

We've just signed 7 new players in little more than a couple of weeks, with 2 or 3 more intended to join tomorrow.
    Whether they sign or don't, there's a lot of decent players arrived, upgrading the squad.

When we were promoted 2 years ago, we didn't really uproot any trees early on and after a dozen games, huffed and puffed to defeat at Rochdale where Taylor missed a penalty ...... Charlton dropped to 13th.

We had a shocking injury ravaged Christmas in which we dropped another fistful of points.
    Then while Taylor was suspended, Karlan Grant was flogged to Huddersfield, leaving us without a properly fit recognised striker through most of February, where we continued dropping points because we could barely score.

At that point no one (except Bowyer, of course!) could have predicted we'd go on a storming 12 game final run in, losing only 1 game, winning Wembley and promotion.

What did you say your point was? 

My point was aspiration is good but let's not get carried away. That is all i was saying if you read back.
    Not sure why we you going over our promotion season again.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Because we've only played four games and the transfer window hasn't closed
    True.
    But let's just say nothing happened tomorrow? We sign nobody and nobody else leaves.
    Are we a Championship squad, top L1 squad, average L1 squad? 
    Hope you get my point.
    Nope, not really.

It doesn't matter what we are right now, what matters is where we finish after 46 games.

We've just signed 7 new players in little more than a couple of weeks, with 2 or 3 more intended to join tomorrow.
    Whether they sign or don't, there's a lot of decent players arrived, upgrading the squad.

When we were promoted 2 years ago, we didn't really uproot any trees early on and after a dozen games, huffed and puffed to defeat at Rochdale where Taylor missed a penalty ...... Charlton dropped to 13th.

We had a shocking injury ravaged Christmas in which we dropped another fistful of points.
    Then while Taylor was suspended, Karlan Grant was flogged to Huddersfield, leaving us without a properly fit recognised striker through most of February, where we continued dropping points because we could barely score.

At that point no one (except Bowyer, of course!) could have predicted we'd go on a storming 12 game final run in, losing only 1 game, winning Wembley and promotion.

What did you say your point was? 

My point was aspiration is good but let's not get carried away. That is all i was saying if you read back.
    Not sure why we you going over our promotion season again.
    Simply to point out that where we are today is meaningless, compared  to where we could be after 46 games played.

No one is getting carried away. Just that there is an opportunity, a big opportunity to finish the season where we want to be.
    And that the first 6 months of the promotion season gave us little clue.

• Options
    Has always given 100 per cent when he has played. But not good enough for a promotion winning squad. Which is what Sandgaard wants us to be.
  • Options

Looking at our league position, that's our aspiration at the moment, too.
  • Options

I'm 99% confident we'll be top half and I've backed us twice.
    I'm 75% confident we'll be top 6 and I've backed us twice.
    I'm 30% confident of promotion and I've backed us once.
    You are more confident than me mate.
    I'm about 50/50 we will be top six but we will know more about the squad in less than 24hrs.
    I hope you are 30% correct😉
    So you think we'll be battling relegation with Crewe, but are 50/50 on us being top 6?
  • Options
    Interesting that the Mansfield manager wants goals and assists from Lapslie.

His strengths are his fitness and work rate, he’s never going to the playmaker sitting in the middle spraying passes around and controlling the game. To play at the highest level he can he needs to either be the more attacking CM getting forward and scoring goals, or develop into a ball winner like Parker did (not at the same level but type of player).

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2020/october/stags-sign-midfielder-on-loan/

"The gaffer [Graham Coughlan] wants me to play in a higher midfield role, and he's expecting assists and goals."

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2020/october/new-signing-will-bring-energy-to-stags---coach/
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    Has always given 100 per cent when he has played. But not good enough for a promotion winning squad. Which is what Sandgaard wants us to be.
    Played 27 games in our promotion winning season.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    Josh Parker played 10 games, and also played in a Wycombe side promoted last season, would you want him in the team?

Lapslie only started 11 of those games. He's a solid enough player but i honestly feel that if we're moving forward as a team then we will need (and have signed) better.

If 100 Charlton fans named their first choice XI + subs, i don't think a single one would include Lapslie in the team and maybe a handful at best would have him as a sub.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dickplumb said:
    How much of a mark did he make in those games? Hard working player but we need better in midfield to progress. Bowyer and Gallen obviously agree.
  • Options
    If Sandgaard is genuinely seeking a title tilt this year, he imust be in Lee's ear asking what is needed. As a successful business owner he will be under no illusions and if the business needs to bring in better staff anywhere, he will want them. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Swisdom said:
    I see George as a Hairy Steve Gritt

He can do a job in a number of positions - certainly at League 1 level

This year will be the making of him
    Yes, he does seem the type. Versatile and will do a job, without ever really nailing down a regular position

The young Gritty was also hairy!

When Gritt first joined us, as a striker, he was a target of the boo boys who thought he was rubbish. A change of position and he went on to be a terrific player for us, holding his own in the top division.

Not so much the change of position bit, but it does show how players can improve and step up to new levels. I think there are some clues in Lapslie's game that he could do this.
    Gritty came here from Bournemouth as a midfielder, Mutts.

After he'd been here a couple of years, he did get pressed into service as a makeshift striker for a run of games and proved well capable of poaching a goal - I remember I was at St James Park, Newcastle watching us put in a spirited performance despite getting beat 5-3; Gritty was upfront and scored twice.

He must have scored something like 5 goals in a run of about 9 or 10 games up front, but once our regular forwards returned from injury he was only occasionally used as striker in an emergency.

Even though he was used mainly as a fullback later on, we saw that Gritty could put in a decent performance in most positions.
    It was attitude, adaptability and hard graft that made Gritty. You can see the parallels with George Lapslie.

I stand corrected. But I do vividly recall fans getting on his back a lot in the beginning because it got on my nerves.
  • Options
    I'm not to happy about this. I like Lapslie because he's a hard worker and he's good enough for League One. He is a decent squad member, fit as a sub or as a starter against the lower teams.

However, I have faith in the management and I'm willing to see how the team gels.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Scoham said:
    Interesting that the Mansfield manager wants goals and assists from Lapslie.

His strengths are his fitness and work rate, he’s never going to the playmaker sitting in the middle spraying passes around and controlling the game. To play at the highest level he can he needs to either be the more attacking CM getting forward and scoring goals, or develop into a ball winner like Parker did (not at the same level but type of player).

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2020/october/stags-sign-midfielder-on-loan/

"The gaffer [Graham Coughlan] wants me to play in a higher midfield role, and he's expecting assists and goals."

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2020/october/new-signing-will-bring-energy-to-stags---coach/
    Agree that Lapslie is never going to be the playmaker ..... but from a higher midfield position his movement and anticipation, give and go, could see him break through the defensive line/beat the offside trap/get behind the defence. Maybe that's what the Mansfield manager has in mind?

• Options
    Sent off on his debut for Mansfield.
    Yeah, 2 yellow cards.

• Options
    He desperately needs to make a position his own at Mansfield. Best of luck George.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I'm not sure why this post has already 5 lols.

George has got his limitations, sure. But he's come through the ranks and given his all for Charlton.
    He's been desperate to play football so he's gone to a loan club, rather than sit on his arse counting his wages.

Put yourself in his position. Trying his best on his loan debut and gets 2 bookings and a match suspension.
    I feel for him.
    Agreed. Especially since he’s not a cynical player in the slightest. He was probably busting a gut, trying too hard to impress almost, and got sent off in the process.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

George has got his limitations, sure. But he's come through the ranks and given his all for Charlton.
    He's been desperate to play football so he's gone to a loan club, rather than sit on his arse counting his wages.

Put yourself in his position. Trying his best on his loan debut and gets 2 bookings and a match suspension.
    I feel for him.
    Agreed. Especially since he’s not a cynical player in the slightest. He was probably busting a gut, trying too hard to impress almost, and got sent off in the process.
    Yep, he was probably tiring a bit by the 78th min; after all, he hasn't been doing 90 minute games lately.

Louis Mendez commented on his Twitter, that he saw the Mansfield game highlights and Lapslie's 2nd booking looked really harsh.

• Options
    dickplumb said:
    Josh Parker played 10 games, and also played in a Wycombe side promoted last season, would you want him in the team?

Lapslie only started 11 of those games. He's a solid enough player but i honestly feel that if we're moving forward as a team then we will need (and have signed) better.

If 100 Charlton fans named their first choice XI + subs, i don't think a single one would include Lapslie in the team and maybe a handful at best would have him as a sub.
    I don't necessarily disagree but it was clearly wrong to say Lapslie is not good enough for a promotion winning squad when he already has been part of exactly that.  Maybe not good enough for the first team.
  • Options
    George seems a good lad and now has a family to feed. I remember a game a couple of seasons ago against Pompey and I thought he was superb but seems his development has stagnated. Hopes he improves and comes back a better player. Good luck George. 
  • Options
    Mansfield have had an awful start to the season. A real challenge for George there, things don't seem right in the dressing room
  • Options
    He desperately needs to make a position his own at Mansfield. Best of luck George.
    Me too , unfortunately it sounds like the bathtub!
  • Options
    Not an auspicious start getting a red but reading those twitter posts it sounds like some of what he did was positive.

I hope it works out for him and he comes back a better player.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I feel for him.
    Think for me was the fact it had been reported so much on the Match Thread yet Viewfinder did nothing wrong posting it on here too