Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Lapslie (Pg 21 - Joins Mansfield permanent)

Comments

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    seth plum said:
    Josh Cullen played at a lower level than West Ham but does that mean he is only fit for that lower level?
    Yes - he’s a good championship midfielder 
    He started in League One with us.
  • Options
    He is cup tied having played for us already in the pizza cup.
  • Options
    Shame that he wasn’t able to get a pizza the action.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Redrobo said:
    seth plum said:
    Josh Cullen played at a lower level than West Ham but does that mean he is only fit for that lower level?
    Not for me. We seem to have got very snobby as to who is good enough for us. Who knows which on loan players will be with us come the end of January or which league we will be in next season. 
    George did us proud when we were in the poo big time and was happy to play anywhere. That has worked against him in his own development and he deserves proper consideration. I don’t remember him ever letting us down.
    People forget the amount of years we have played in the 3rd division in recent years.
    I started to go 76/77 in the first 33 seasons of my Charlton watching life we had 1 season in the third tier 
    in the last 12 seasons we’ve had 7 of them in the third tier , fucking shameful
    and this whilst palace have reached an FA Cup Final and are currently in their 8th consecutive Prem season having only had one 1976/7 in the third tier during my football watching lifetime and are currently gonna finish above us for the 14th consecutive season .
    in the same period the scum have had 17 seasons in the 3rd tier and and 2 in the top flight as well as a bye to the FA Cup Final and are about to finish above us for the 5th consecutive season .... shit times , it has to stop now ffs in Thomas we trust .

Apart from that covid and your IBS, lifes good though mate? 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Leuth said:
    seth plum said:
    Leuth said:
    Ben Reeves never gave less than 100%. Lazy comparison. Guess we all enjoy speaking ill of the dead 
    All players will argue they give 100%. In the case of Lapslie I have witnessed it. Anyway I would still prefer Lapslie to Reeves.
    Please tell me that Reeves isn't really actually dead and I missed that news.
    Reeves is currently on the Plymouth bench so might as well be. 

They're completely different players who play in different positions, obviously. Unless Lapslie is now an attacking midfielder? In which case...well, I don't really understand
    In his younger development years with the U18's and U23's George tended to play as a slightly right sided but advanced midfield player. He would very occasionally fill in as a defensive midfielder or even less a right back.
    One feature of his play, which I never saw from Reeves, was his fierce support play and willingness to get team mates out of trouble or cover for their mistakes. He never hid and was always available.
    His play was as eye catching as his hair, but not because of tricks and flamboyance.
    That’s why bowyer used him so much.
    gritty determination and a grafter.
    exactly what we need but he needs to be the first name on the team sheet for a bit.
    This loan could decide his cafc future.
    Carry on the way he’s started and we could have a really decent player on our hands.
    If he tails off then we let him go.
    his brother has a decent career at Colchester it seems.
  • Options
    Yes his brother is at Colchester, and I think I heard somewhere that his grandfather played at some kind of youth level for England.
    Sometimes you get that don't you? Versions of footballing families. Intrigues me how that happens.
    Certainly in London football there has never been a blood related family as prominent as the Allens who produced loads of players.
    I wonder if there is yet another one or two Allens waiting in the wings.
    Steve Gallen was interested that Connor Gallagher has two older brothers playing in non league, he knew about them, and their existence helped pique his interest in Connor.
    Maybe there will emerge a Lapslie dynasty of some sort.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Yes his brother is at Colchester, and I think I heard somewhere that his grandfather played at some kind of youth level for England.
    Sometimes you get that don't you? Versions of footballing families. Intrigues me how that happens.
    Certainly in London football there has never been a blood related family as prominent as the Allens who produced loads of players.
    Steve Gallen was interested that Connor Gallagher has two older brothers playing in non league, he knew about them, and their existence helped pique his interest in Connor.
    Gallen himself comes from a mini QPR dynasty. Interesting that Kevin Gallen was by far the best player, but it's his brothers Joe and Steve who've had successful careers in coaching and management
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Not playing tonight in the Pizza cup
    No, we didn't want George cup-tied.

Already is cup tied
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully getting a decent run of games in his preferred position will bring him on a bundle. 
  • Options
    This Mansfield fan is in for an exciting afternoon...
  • Options
    Scoring for fun at the minute
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Have we told Mansfield that they need to pay us £1M if they want to keep him beyond January yet?
  • Options
    3 in his last 3 now
    Wow!
  • Options
    I put £5 on him at 275/1 to score twice today. Nervous 45 mins incoming...
  • Options
    Nice one George!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Not playing tonight in the Pizza cup
    No, we didn't want George cup-tied.

Already is cup tied
    I know, Henry ..... that was supposed to be the joke,

He had played in the competition for us - and we had already been eliminated before his loan to Mansfield. :wink:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    He seems to be doing well at Mansfield, which is good. From what I've seen (mainly from when we played them in the cup last year) they like to play football rather than just hoof it up to big lumps and that sort of set up is ideal for George. Hope he continues to do well  and given the size of our midfield and Gallen's comments about how we're doing well financially out of the loans given the cap, I'd imagine season long means season long in this case. 
  • Options
    I really can't think of a better of a better place to send a young midfielder of ours on loan to. A side with potential but one where he is more or less guaranteed a place in the side and under one of the best mangers outside the Premier League who knows what it takes to play in Lapslie's position because he played there at the highest level in the game.

It's a bit of a mystery as to why Clough has struggled to get another managerial position at a higher level than League 2. When he took over at Sheffield United they were third bottom. He took then to 7th that season and the following year they finished 5th, In both seasons, as a League 1 club, they made the semi finals of cups. The following season following his sacking, under Nigel Adkins, they finished 11th. Clough's overall record at Sheffield United was Won 49, Drew 30 and Lost 25. 

Prior to Clough arriving at Mansfield they hadn't won a game all season. They've since won all three, all away and Lapslie scored in all three too.
    Cloughie seems to get gigs local to home.

Forest, Derby, Burton and Mansfield.   Perhaps he's happy staying in the area.
    I think you might have hit the nail on the head especially when you look at his Dad's career:

Played football for Middlesboro and Sunderland. Stayed in area to manage Hartlepool for a few years. Moved to Derby for half a dozen years and then less than 12 months at Brighton followed by the infamous few weeks at Leeds. Then 18 years at Forest.

Nigel probably witnessed the upheaval of Brighton (Nigel, at the age of nine, sat on the bench next to his Dad for one game there) and Leeds and wanted stability for his family. His first stint at Burton lasted one game short of 500 during which time they won almost half of them, became Conference Champions and even drew against a Man United side when non league that featured Rooney and Ronaldo.

Overall he's managed over a thousand games, and his win percentage is more than 40%. Mansfield is only his fourth club and no one can ever accuse him of not being loyal. Mansfield are 12 points off the top three but, even so, if anyone can get them on the sort of run that is needed to reach that pinnacle I'm sure he can - 11/2 top 7, 20/1 top 3, with a bit of insurance at 66/1 in case they do the impossible and win the League won't be the worst "interest" bets I'm ever going to have.

• Options
    A real bonus for George having Nigel Clough take over at Mansfield

I have a suspicion though that George will be to us what Josh Cullen was to West Ham, someone who never quite made it at his home club
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Sodjes
  • Options
    Lazarus family.
  • Options
    George’s best chance of playing league one or above is at right back, in my view