Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Lapslie (Pg 21 - Joins Mansfield permanent)

Comments

• Options
    May be remembering this wrong but when we signed Gilbey, there were a few concerns raised that that was a crazy decision given the wage cap. From that I understand he’s taking up a lot of space, which as yet, thorough injury or just not yet fitting in, he has not justified.

Lapslie frequently looked like a headless chicken l, mostly because he was chucked on in loads of different roles and asked to put a shift in.

I always thought there was a championship midfielder in Lapslie and I’m very sad to see him go. It doesn’t seem right, 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Chunes said:
    Amazing what a loan spell in league two can do to people's opinion of a player. He was never rated on here. 

Good luck George. Always worked hard.
    Not true.

Some rated him, others didn't.
    Thank you for the clarification.
  • Options
    I find this strange as would imagine Lapsie is paid very little compared to a majority of our midfielders. As others have said, would prefer if others were moved on instead.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    A shame if true . Portsmouth away a couple of seasons ago he showed incredible guts and bravery in a 2-1 win . I would have him in the team ahead of some of the deadwood ( Watson and JFC especially) that we have currently. 
    JFC, dead wood? When used correctly he's been an asset 
    Like anyone he's has his inconsistencies, would argue he's more consistent than George has been sadly!!
  • Options
    Presumably Charlton can't just cancel George's contract without his consent.

So it must be something he wants to try. 

In January his agent can offer him to clubs with no transfer fee involved. If he doesn't get an offer he likes, Charlton are still his employee and must keep paying  his wages so long as he turns up for work.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:
    I find this strange as would imagine Lapsie is paid very little compared to a majority of our midfielders. As others have said, would prefer if others were moved on instead.
    But if you already have a willing "buyer" to take George's salary on, then it's a no brainer for me.
  • Options
    How much can his salary free up? Not much I wouldn’t have thought. 
  • Options
    This is a very bad decision. He is a good young player and provides energy in the middle which we lack in spades. JFC is decent but not the player he was, Watson and Shinnie are relatively old, Gilbey is disappointing, Morgan a creative player ( and not favoured by Bow) - it is difficult to understand the logic behind this. 
    It will come back to bite us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's far from ideal, but if we need to bring some talent in then somethings are going to have to give.

I wonder if we could buy Oztumer out of his contract.

People writing some nonsense on here, get rid of Watson, JFC. How exactly does that work?

I personally think we should try and get a peppercorn fee for Lapslie with a sell on fee. I think the lad has potential, unfortunately the salary/squad cap is throttling us now.
  • Options
    From afar it seems Lapslie had done fairly well on loan, so seems odd that we wouldn’t try and get something for him. 

Definitely appreciate his passion and work rate, don’t think he’s good enough for the Championship (which needs to be the aim) but would love for him to prove me wrong. 
  • Options
    I didn’t see this coming - I hope he doesn’t turn out to be yet another player we let get away who comes good; names who immediately spring to mind - Michael Turner, Matt Elliott, Darren Randolph, George Boyd.

Good luck George, sorry to see a Charlton fan leave.

if we are clearing the decks to free up wages I wouldn’t be sad to lose Oshitlaja, Bogle & possibly Famewo - if his injury will keep him out for another couple of months.
  • Options
    I didn’t see this coming - I hope he doesn’t turn out to be yet another player we let get away who comes good; names who immediately spring to mind - Michael Turner, Matt Elliott, Darren Randolph, George Boyd.

if we are clearing the decks to free up wages I wouldn’t be sad to lose Oshitlaja, Bogle & possibly Famewo - if his injury will keep him out for another couple of months.
    Not to mention the player with the most goals and assists combined in this division. I know some people regard him as a poor man's Bogle but Joe Pigott would have made a meaningful difference to us this season.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    It's far from ideal, but if we need to bring some talent in then somethings are going to have to give.

I wonder if we could buy Oztumer out of his contract.

People writing some nonsense on here, get rid of Watson, JFC. How exactly does that work?

I personally think we should try and get a peppercorn fee for Lapslie with a sell on fee. I think the lad has potential, unfortunately the salary/squad cap is throttling us now.

JFC frustrates the hell out of me and I have seen asthmatic ants carrying heavy shopping quicker that Watson . We are desperate in need of someone who actually runs forward with the ball like Kamara of Plymouth or Fraser of MK Don's. At least George is full of energy and passionate about playing for Charlton. 

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Both surprised and unsurprised. Seems to be doing well, probably needed this loan last season.

Will he ever be consistent enough to do it above L1? Probably not.
  • Options
    Think it suits both parties, George needs a new home to grow and improve. Will miss his enthusiasm and workrate, whereever he ends up he will be one of us.
  • Options
    I honestly don't think he's any worse than Gilbey or JFC. From what I've seen this season of our midfield it desperately lacks some energy which George can bring.

I'd be disappointed to see him leave but understand the reasoning behind it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He might come good but whether it was a mistake depends how it happens.

Turner left when we were a Prem club and had two seasons in League 1 and two in the Championship before he played in the Prem.

Maybe we should have given him a chance, but on the other hand perhaps he needed regular football to develop as a player.

Boyd also left us when we were at that level and he took around 12 years to play there.

Elliott was another who had to work his way back up the leagues.

Only one I’d agree was a mistake is Randolph. He should have been first choice ahead of Rob Elliot, though he was a decent keeper himself and from our youth team too.
  • Options
    What are the rules now about playing for more than two clubs in a season? 

That might mean Mansfield is his only option. I suspect if they offered him an 18 month contract with a release clause he would take it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Add Harry Arter to that list
  • Options

Add Harry Arter to that list
    We were in League 1 at the time, he’s one who probably would have done well if we had given him a run of games.
  • Options
    Not sure about this, what message does it send to young players on loan who are not wanted even if they do well?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I don’t think George could have done any worse than some of the substandard performances some of our experienced collection midfielders have served up thus far this season. 

However the most important thing right now is to get out of this division ASAP. If that means freeing up wages for replacements to improve the squad for a barnstorming second half of the season then so be it. Thanks for memories George, you’ll always be one of us and best wishes for the future.
  • Options
    A lot of assumptions that George will leave in January but Mansfield might be willing to wait until the summer.

We can't force Lapslie to leave until his contract expires but in Gallen we trust.
  • Options
    A real shame but needs must.

The wage cap makes such decisions even more imperative.

Sure he'll have a good career as a player and stay in the game after he retires given his degree.

I wonder if someone other than Mansfield will come in for him.

I think George can  do better than Mansfield and TBF I think he will continue to improve. Does not have the skill set of Morgan but has a great engine and seems to have worked out where the goal is now.

Both Michael Smith and Joe Pigott have had good careers since leaving Cafc as I predicted in the lower divisions and Joe may get an opportunity to play in the Championship like Smithy has a couple of times at Rotherham.

George can definitely make it in League 1 if he continues to improve.