Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Lapslie (Pg 21 - Joins Mansfield permanent)

Comments

• Looks like he did ok against Bolton too :) 
    Yes his debut.
    Downhill ever since :smile:
  • Without derailing the thread, i completely agree with Covered End. I think he’s had 2 or three good games this season but he was very poor last season. Seems a pretty good game against Afc Wimbledon and people forget his contribution to his club over the last few years - which generally speaking has been very disappointing. 
  • Good luck George.

Can't fault the commitment, but the sustained quality just wasn't there.
  • Without derailing the thread, i completely agree with Covered End. I think he’s had 2 or three good games this season but he was very poor last season. Seems a pretty good game against Afc Wimbledon and people forget his contribution to his club over the last few years - which generally speaking has been very disappointing. 
    He was poor last season but he only played a few games, recovering from a bad injury in the League above. For me that doesn’t mean he can’t be a decent League 1 player even if he’s not a regular starter. We need a squad of players as we know because all of the injuries. He does need to pick up but I think he’s definitely improving this season. Been around for ages but still only 26. Agree this is detailing thread so won’t comment further. 
    He was poor last season but he only played a few games, recovering from a bad injury in the League above. For me that doesn’t mean he can’t be a decent League 1 player even if he’s not a regular starter. We need a squad of players as we know because all of the injuries. He does need to pick up but I think he’s definitely improving this season. Been around for ages but still only 26. Agree this is detailing thread so won’t comment further. 
    Lapslie was only 23 in September.

Still a relatively young player. Although he does need to establish himself now - it's his time or bust.

• Oggy Red said:
    Without derailing the thread, i completely agree with Covered End. I think he’s had 2 or three good games this season but he was very poor last season. Seems a pretty good game against Afc Wimbledon and people forget his contribution to his club over the last few years - which generally speaking has been very disappointing. 

Still a relatively young player. Although he does need to establish himself now - it's his time or bust.

Sorry we were talking about JFC, off topic I know. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Without derailing the thread, i completely agree with Covered End. I think he’s had 2 or three good games this season but he was very poor last season. Seems a pretty good game against Afc Wimbledon and people forget his contribution to his club over the last few years - which generally speaking has been very disappointing. 

Sorry we were talking about JFC, off topic I know. 
    Oh, right ....... completely over my head, sorry! :smile:

• Just like Piggot, there's something about Lapslie that means he could have a very good L1 career - with hopefully some years in the champ.
      He's at Mansfield, playing cm, under Nigel Clough, scoring and assisting.  Unless he get's a solid 2 year contract somewhere else, he should stay at Mansfield and see the season out.  Because of his size, he needs to be at the right club holding down a midfield position.  Good luck George, I hope he get's what's best for him.
  • any talk of freeing up space under the salary cap for January window business is wide of the mark/expedient spin
    George not appearing for Charlton for the rest of the season won't be affecting the wage bill, he'll be receiving all he was due.
    Good luck George - my money's on him returning to the Valley and serving up some humble pie - hopefully it will be back in Charlton red rather than against.
    Any percentage of wages we are paying now comes under the cap. If he leaves permanently we get that little bit extra to spend. I’m guessing it’s a insignificant figure but we need to strengthen. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry to see him go, always liked the pace he had, and not a little skill. Maybe his decision making could be a bit better. But thought he would be  a Charlton regular.
  • Any of JFC's outstanding games apart from Fulham A?
    Recently v AFC?
    We played Arsenal? I know they have been on a bad run but....
  • edited December 2020
    Any of JFC's outstanding games apart from Fulham A?
    Recently v AFC?
    We played Arsenal? I know they have been on a bad run but....
    Pre-season friendly. Lost 0-4  :smile:

• seth plum said:
     Judging by the little we see on Quest you remain a teammate's dream teammate.
    Very well put, Seth. That's the bit that a lot of fans don't seem to be aware of.

• Forgot to add Doherty to that list. I seem to remember there was at least one game overlap with Grant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Perfect move for him if true.
  • He lives in Ebbsfleet at the moment doesn't he? His partner is my mum's nail girl
  • edited January 2021
    sam3110 said:
    He lives in Ebbsfleet at the moment doesn't he? His partner is my mum's nail girl
    He also has a baby girl now... Gillingham would be a great move for him
  • sam3110 said:
    He lives in Ebbsfleet at the moment doesn't he? His partner is my mum's nail girl
    Yes
  • Can see this one biting us on the arse!!! 
  • I didn’t see this coming - I hope he doesn’t turn out to be yet another player we let get away who comes good; names who immediately spring to mind - Michael Turner, Matt Elliott, Darren Randolph, George Boyd.

Good luck George, sorry to see a Charlton fan leave.

if we are clearing the decks to free up wages I wouldn’t be sad to lose Oshitlaja, Bogle & possibly Famewo - if his injury will keep him out for another couple of months.
    Didn’t Randolph turn down a contract? All other players deserved to be released when they were but credit must be given for them all working hard and having good careers.

Harry arter is an exception and should never have been released. 
  • edited January 2021
    Terrible decision imo, he starts every week for us. I don't rate one midfielder we have above him, certainly not enough to let him go. Better than Gilbey, JFC and Pratley.

This makes no sense, probably the hardest working player we have, which is all Bowyer bangs on about and we are willing to let him go when we have a bunch of fridge freezers in midfield. Unless we are signing actual quality midfielders like Ben Whiteman or Scott Fraser then I don't see why it's happening.

The last 4 games I've watched now none of our players bar Maddison can make a quality forward pass so it's not like George's technical ability can be questioned? Got a feeling this one comes back to bite us

Good luck to George, hard working, honest player who will have a decent football career imo
    If this one comes back to bite us, it’ll be over the next few years in League One. And if we’re still in League One at that point, our problems will be far bigger than letting go of George Lapslie.
    I can see why you would say that cause George does look a bit clumsy at times and he is a bit raw but I think he will be a championship player at some point, if I'm wrong I'll be wrong but I think he has the qualities

Forget long term though even for the short term I would like him starting for us, more potential than some of our midfielders and we could do with his energy alone