Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Lapslie (Pg 21 - Joins Mansfield permanent)

Comments

• Options
    Really surprised (and dubious) that he's only earning £840pw.

Not sure I agree with the Charlton fan who posted on there either when he says "I'd be surprised if we didnt recall him in Jan if he performs well up until then as we lack a bit of energy"!
  • Options
    Great to hear he's impressing there, hopefully he'll do enough to earn himself a contract extension with us if he wants it, as I imagine Mansfield will be lining up a permanent move
  • Options
    At Charlton he never really got a run in the team and was also played in a variety of positions. Maybe now at Mansfield he's playing every week and in the same position so getting more confidence? 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    At Charlton he never really got a run in the team and was also played in a variety of positions. Maybe now at Mansfield he's playing every week and in the same position so getting more confidence? 
    ...and playing at a lower level. 
  • Options
    Pleased to see him doing well - needs a regular run in the side and to play in the same position. I hope he does well but imagine it will be away from Charlton.

Has a great attitude and deserves to succeed 
  • Options
    The word "busy" applies to midfielder like Lapslie. He slightly reminds me of another blonde midfielder David "Barnsley Boris" Perkins, the sort who get everywhere on the pitch
  • Options
    Josh Cullen played at a lower level than West Ham but does that mean he is only fit for that lower level?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ben Reeves never gave less than 100%. Lazy comparison. Guess we all enjoy speaking ill of the dead 
  • Options
    And it's nice that Lapslie is doing well. His goal here is to have a good professional career. Our goal is to get back into the Championship and prosper in it. Those two goals are completely incommensurable. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Ben Reeves never gave less than 100%. Lazy comparison. Guess we all enjoy speaking ill of the dead 
    All players will argue they give 100%. In the case of Lapslie I have witnessed it. Anyway I would still prefer Lapslie to Reeves.
    Please tell me that Reeves isn't really actually dead and I missed that news.
  • Options
    Remember his progress was interupted by a bad case of concussion.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Remember his progress was interupted by a bad case of concussion.
    He’s also never got a run of games in his position. He’s always had to do a job somewhere else for the sake of the team. 

This lad deserves another chance
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Leuth said:
    All players will argue they give 100%. In the case of Lapslie I have witnessed it. Anyway I would still prefer Lapslie to Reeves.
    Reeves is currently on the Plymouth bench so might as well be. 

They're completely different players who play in different positions, obviously. Unless Lapslie is now an attacking midfielder? In which case...well, I don't really understand
  • Options
    Great to see positive reports on George.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Leuth said:
    Ben reeves is alive, it’s just his career and hair style that are dead 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Redrobo said:
    seth plum said:
    Josh Cullen played at a lower level than West Ham but does that mean he is only fit for that lower level?
    Not for me. We seem to have got very snobby as to who is good enough for us. Who knows which on loan players will be with us come the end of January or which league we will be in next season. 
    George did us proud when we were in the poo big time and was happy to play anywhere. That has worked against him in his own development and he deserves proper consideration. I don’t remember him ever letting us down.
    People forget the amount of seasons we have played in the 3rd division in recent years.
  • Options
    This is where salary caps can affect things for younger "squad" players, when the issue for us isn't whether we can afford the salary, but whether it counts towards the cap or not.

Being over 21, Lapslie counts towards the cap whereas other young midfielders like Morgan and Vennings, or indeed loan players like Levitt don't. Indeed as Morgan isn't 21 until next February, his salary won't count against the cap (if we stay in L1) until the 22/23 season!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    seth plum said:
    Leuth said:
    Reeves is currently on the Plymouth bench so might as well be. 

They're completely different players who play in different positions, obviously. Unless Lapslie is now an attacking midfielder? In which case...well, I don't really understand
    In his younger development years with the U18's and U23's George tended to play as a slightly right sided but advanced midfield player. He would very occasionally fill in as a defensive midfielder or even less a right back.
    One feature of his play, which I never saw from Reeves, was his fierce support play and willingness to get team mates out of trouble or cover for their mistakes. He never hid and was always available.
    His play was as eye catching as his hair, but not because of tricks and flamboyance.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Yes - he’s a good championship midfielder 
  • Options
    Lappo can definitely become a league 1 Gallagher potentially even a championship version. Box to box, all energy combative midfielder. Tough tackling and good on the ball. Of he has now added goals to his game then I am sure of it. 

His versatility hasn't helped his development but itll help him long term. A player managers will always want in their squad and useful on the bench.
  • Options
    Reeves was a solid reliable Pro...played his part in 18/19 success. He should be respected for that.

• Options
    Not playing tonight in the Pizza cup